News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC games with multiple portings

Started by felow, 18:41, 17 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

felow

Hi everybody,
this is my first post.
I'm trying to compile a list of all Amstrad CPC's games with multiple conversions, I mean same game released in various editions (even by different software-houses), both official (like the two version of the first Double Dragon) and unofficial (R-Type regular version and the recent 128k revamp).
Any help would be great. :) thanks.

Fed

Shaun M. Neary

Welcome! Hope you stick around =)

Bubble Bobble and Rick Dangerous got 128k revamps in recent enough years.
Blockbusters was another, first by Macsen and then again by TV Games a couple of years later.
There are also two versions of Paperboy doing the rounds, one UK and one Spanish.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Nich

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:49, 17 April 17
There are also two versions of Paperboy doing the rounds, one UK and one Spanish.

I don't believe the 'other' Paperboy is a Spanish version at all; see my analysis in another thread.

Nich

Quote from: felow on 18:41, 17 April 17
I'm trying to compile a list of all Amstrad CPC's games with multiple conversions, I mean same game released in various editions (even by different software-houses), both official (like the two version of the first Double Dragon) and unofficial (R-Type regular version and the recent 128k revamp).

Killapede by The Oliver Twins was initially released by Players, but when Players refused to pay them what they thought was a reasonable amount of money, they offered it to The Power House, who then published it - and went bust shortly afterwards.

The Oliver Twins' own site has more information on this.

Nich

I've thought of a couple more games:

• By Fair Means or Foul by Superior Software was re-released by Code Masters as Pro Boxing Simulator, who controversially advertised it as a 'new release'.
  • Tournament Snooker by Magnificent 7 was also re-released by Code Masters as Professional Snooker Simulator.
  • Formula One by CRL was re-released by Alternative Software as Formula Grand Prix. This was also a source of controversy, because Code Masters claimed the artwork for Formula Grand Prix was too similar to that of their own release, Grand Prix Simulator (links helpfully provided so you can judge for yourself :)).
I really am a walking encyclopaedia of Amstrad CPC games, aren't I? ::)

||C|-|E||

What about Bumpy and Pop-Up?  :)

ervin

How about US Gold's "glorious" World Cup Carnival?
:laugh:

felow

Thanks for all replies. All very useful.
Some questions:
Can someone please provide a link to Rick Dangeorus 128k, and for what I understand this is not an official update of the original title right?
Some more details about World Cup Carnival would be appreciated: is there another version not by US Gold?
Thx

reidrac

Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

ervin

Quote from: felow on 07:14, 18 April 17
Thanks for all replies. All very useful.
Some questions:
Can someone please provide a link to Rick Dangeorus 128k, and for what I understand this is not an official update of the original title right?
Some more details about World Cup Carnival would be appreciated: is there another version not by US Gold?
Thx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_Carnival
http://twohundredpercent.net/twenty-five-years-on-the-world-cup-carnival-fiasco/

Nich

There's also Phantis by Dinamic, which was released outside Spain as Game Over II, with modified sprites and a different loading screen.

Nich

Quote from: felow on 07:14, 18 April 17

You're correct; it isn't an official update. Here are some links:

CPCWiki entry
BDCIron's site (in French)
Discussion on CPCWiki forum

Johnny Olsen

Into the eagles nest there is to or three different versions of the game.
Different screen layout and different music.

jason9

Hi,

wasn't Macadame Bumper also released in various versions with different graphics on the CPC?

Nich

Quote from: jason9 on 17:15, 19 April 17
wasn't Macadame Bumper also released in various versions with different graphics on the CPC?

There is a version of the game where the woman on the left of the screen is nude, but no one seems to be entirely certain of its origin (i.e. if it's an official release from ERE Informatique or another software house, or if it's a modified crack).

AMSDOS

I had a version of Titus the Fox without any Music if that counts, apart from that everything else I think was the same.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

||C|-|E||

That reminds me that there was a version of Mystical without music too... I think the 464 port.

MiguelSky

The 128kb version of some games have some enhanced features: digitalized voices in Robocop and DragonNinja, for example. Green Beret has some enhanced graphics in the 128kb version too. And don't forget the star answer to this topic: Double Dragon 1 & 2.

jason9

Concerning Double Dragon:
-          I know about the two official but very different portings reelased at the time, but had never understood if the one usually considered "better" (the Atari ST porting for what I know) was only available for 128k (and so disk). And the other version was anyway available also on disk?
-          About Double Dragon II, a part for the music/non music differences between the 64k and 128k, I've just discovered that there was also a different Spanish conversion...any further details about it?

ivarf

Commando and that snow alien version. I think that version was for the German market.

felow

Concerning Double Dragon II, I guess this is the Spanish version:
[/url]
...very similar to the first one cassette edition.
Anyway don't know if those two versions (of I and II):
[/url]
(incredible conversion, maybe the best for CPC of all the trilogy)
also exists in cassette formats without music or were only available for 6128 disks.

Shaun M. Neary

You seriously need a beefier PC or a new emulator! That's the laggiest piece of junk i've ever seen! 😂

The first vid is the Spanish version, aka the 64k tape version. Not sure I ever saw it as a full price release on tape but the Tronix label definitely had it on budget.

The second two vids are the proper Virgin releases done by Richard Aplin. These did see a full priced release but much later than it's other 8bit counterparts. Aplin was working on this at the same time as Shinobi according to an AA interview. Work then commenced on DDII almost immediately after the first was finished.

These didn't see 64k tape releases to my knowledge. 464 couldn't handle it natively, it barely handled Shibobi (the sound had to be completely stripped). Double Dragon 1 did see a couple of tape compilations but it was the crappy version (confirmed on the 100% dynamite compilation)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

felow

Thanks a lot, very helpful. But... just to understand: why I would need a beefier Pc or better emulator? Can't get it sorry...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: felow on 20:44, 20 May 17
Thanks a lot, very helpful. But... just to understand: why I would need a beefier Pc or better emulator? Can't get it sorry...

I was joking. Although the sound and animation in some of those videos were very laggy. 😉

felow

Ah ok ;-) Anyway those aren't my uploads, I just found them on the tube :-) thanks again.

Someone can tell me if the package of DD and DDII two versions was the same?