News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Defence - Tower defence work in progress

Started by Shining, 22:29, 07 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining

As I already mentioned, I'm using 128k. And scince my double-buffered screen resists between 0x8000 and 0xFFFF, I'm using 0x4000-0x7ffff for banking. And there in the default bank reside the enemys, the map and the ingame gfx.

Today, the ingame gfx is depacked to this location so xchanging this is not so easy. Perhaps later the maps will also be packed. But the enemy-gfx is easily patchable. Perhaps I'll think about that when the game is nearly finished (after balancing). It will be not that complicated to make the things exchangable better to get for example a defence construction kit or something like that....

00004000  _MapLevel                          sprites
     00004380  _SpriteSoldier                     sprites
     00004A40  _SpriteTank                        sprites
     00005100  _SpriteRobot                       sprites
     000057C0  _SpriteTitan                       sprites
     00005E80  _SpriteFire                        sprites
     00006030  _SpriteGrass1                      sprites
     000060C0  _SpriteGrass2                      sprites
     00006150  _SpriteGrassBorderUp               sprites
     000061E0  _SpriteGrassBorderDown             sprites
     00006270  _SpriteGrassBorderLeft             sprites
     00006300  _SpriteGrassBorderRight            sprites
     00006390  _SpriteGrassBorderLeftDown         sprites
     00006420  _SpriteGrassBorderRightDown        sprites
     000064B0  _SpriteGrassBorderLeftUp           sprites
     00006540  _SpriteGrassBorderRightUp          sprites
     000065D0  _SpriteWater1                      sprites
     00006660  _SpriteWater2                      sprites
     000066F0  _SpriteWallStone1                  sprites
     00006780  _SpriteWallStone2                  sprites
     00006810  _SpriteWallGlobe                   sprites
     000068A0  _SpritePlayerCursor                sprites
     00006930  _SpriteNone                        sprites
     000069C0  _SpriteMG                          sprites
     00006A50  _SpriteRocketLauncher              sprites
     00006AE0  _SpriteSlowTower                   sprites
     00006B70  _SpriteAntiAir                     sprites
     00006C00  _SpriteHeart                       sprites
     00006C18  _SpriteDollar                      sprites
     00006C33  _SpriteEnterpriseRight             sprites
     00006CC3  _SpriteEnterpriseDown              sprites
     00006D53  _SpriteRedShipRight                sprites     00006DE3  _SpriteRedShipDown                 sprites
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

TFM

Yeah, would be awesome! You can even make a contest out of it!  ;D

IMHO it's enough to know start addresses, lenght and bytes per line of the GFX (well, and of course their composition = Aufbau).  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

So, you are not using the C3 mode for your double buffer?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Shining

I don't know exactly what is meant with C3 mode...

My double-buffer is "always in". Which means that I use n2 and n3 (normal page 2 and 3) for it. (In my first experiments I used n1 and n3).

The sprites resist in n1 which is also the page I exchange with the additional pages (like the bankmanager does).

Sometimes, when I don't need the double-buffer (menu for example), I unpack some stuff in n2.

In some of the pages are one or two bytes left. But the 128kB are nearly squeezed out  :) .
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

TotO

It is a mode that allow to use only the Base RAM (64K) to display at &4000 the content of B1 or B3 when required.
This not avoid to access the Expansion RAM at &C000.

C0 mode : B0, B1, B2, B3
C3 mode : B0, B3, B2, E3

It is used on Pac-Man Emulator and Future OS for example.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Shining

Soo today another lifesign. Defence is now lets call it "feature complete". GFX and tilesets are completed. We have 16 different maps (still have to finetune them). Upgrade system is implemented. Achievements are implemented....

So now I think the game is ready to begin balancing and testing. For this task I'm searching for one or two of you to help me with this task. So if you like to and think you have enough time and fun to help balancing the game please contact me. Best of all you are also able to test the game on different hardware than I own (I can only test on 6128 and 6128+). Remind that the game needs 6128 compatible 128kB. I can provide the images as dsk or HxC-files.

I've also made a little trailer:

https://youtu.be/F9POaXSXE1Q

TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

TFM

Great Video! Can't wait so play the game! Great word done!!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dodogildo

Cool. Does the game have an in-game music?
M'enfin!

Shining

Yes (you can hear some of them in the trailer). The game has only ingame music and no sfx. There are 4 different tunes ingame, one title-music and the highscore music = 6 tunes.
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

||C|-|E||

dodogildo

Quote from: Shining on 09:02, 29 January 16
Yes (you can hear some of them in the trailer). The game has only ingame music and no sfx. There are 4 different tunes ingame, one title-music and the highscore music = 6 tunes.

Great news! CPC platform have been suffering from lack of ingame music a lot.
M'enfin!

ukmarkh

Just my two pence worth, this looks like my kind of game.

Would it be possible to include animation of your bullets hitting the enemy, and the enemy taking damage, it's not really evident in the video I watched. Also, this type of game needs a nice 'Rock' heavy intensive soundtrack.

Apart from that, I like the look of it, 2016 is shaping up to be the best year ever!   

TFM

Well, one could add SFX using the PlayCity. I'm sure TotO is willing to help.  ;) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Though I feel it would benefit from a higher resolution, I understand it's too late to change direction. I'm liking what I'm seeing and since I love Defense games I'm anxiously waiting for it :)

ukmarkh

MODE 0 only please, hate that horrible, Speccy looking, no colour Amstrad hi-res mode!  ;)   

Puresox

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:57, 31 January 16
Though I feel it would benefit from a higher resolution, I understand it's too late to change direction. I'm liking what I'm seeing and since I love Defense games I'm anxiously waiting for it :)
I agree , seeing as this game is not graphics intense by the looks, I would think Mode 1 would be ideal. However really not bothered it looks a great game that look forward to playing . And I am not going to moan why haven't you done this, that or the other . It's your project and grateful that you are doing it .

Gryzor

Yeah, not moaning either.  My point was that by using mode 1 you could have more detail and space to play with, but I'm not complaining :)

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:03, 01 February 16
Yeah, not moaning either.  My point was that by using mode 1 you could have more detail and space to play with, but I'm not complaining :)

Nobody cares about Mode 1, Mode 0 baby!

Gryzor

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:51, 18 February 16

Nobody cares about Mode 1, Mode 0 baby!

Seeing as I do, your statement is obviously not true...

Kris

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:39, 26 February 16

Absolutely right ! Many games or demos in mode 1 are simply amazing.

Gryzor

For me there's more value to mode 1/2 than simply detailed graphics: while I love the chunky pixels of 0 and all the colours, every game in mode 1 feels like something special because it's unusual, and a nice break from the norm...

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:39, 26 February 16

I've personally never seen any game that looks good in mode 1, I've always thought, this would look way better in mode 0, what were they thinking! The lack of colour kills the Amstrad experience, and on fast moving games, movement doesn't feel smooth enough. But you know what, each to their own. I just realised I made that last statement without including a ;-) but please don't take it seriously, I was just joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gryzor

All of the mode 1 games i can think of wouldn't work in mode 0, or at least they'd be substantially different. It's a different use. For instance, Marche à l'ombre (mentioned in another thread) - mode 0? Hm.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:59, 26 February 16
All of the mode 1 games i can think of wouldn't work in mode 0, or at least they'd be substantially different. It's a different use. For instance, Marche à l'ombre (mentioned in another thread) - mode 0? Hm.

So the ones I'm thinking of, list below, all would have looked better in mode 0 impo:

Lotus Turbo Challenge
Enduro Racer
Fres Fighter
Hudson Hawk
The Blues Brothers
Head over Heels (Overscan)
Nigel Mansell's World Championship
The Untouchables

And when programmers use overscan, the extended Mode 0 resolution at 192*264 in 16 colours, looks even better. There's only one game where I feel it works, and that's when you have a mixture of mode 1 and 0 as seen in the likes of Sorcery +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk