News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Defence - Tower defence work in progress

Started by Shining, 22:29, 07 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining

As written here Searching a graphic artist I'm working on a tower defence game for CPC.

To not sit in my "silent chamber" for months and then come up with something finished, I want to show here a little bit from time to time.

So as a first start I made a little video and uploaded it to youtube (tadaa first time I did this).

Defence - Work in progress - YouTube

Still many things to do. But:

• Game engine is running
  • Using 2 * 16 kB double-buffer screen
  • 6 Songs included (I'm not planning SFX)
  • Main Menu
  • Highscore Table
Missing:

• Balancing
  • Buy weapon upgrades
  • Achievements
  • GFX improvement and additional tiles
The GFX now is a mixture of ripped, mocked-up and self painted things because my outcry for an GFX artist was not that successful.

Cause the game is a complete "one man show" I do in my spare time beside my family It'll take its time....
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

TFM

Great work in that short time you had! Keep the good work going!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

nice music. and the rest seems promising as well.

Morri

I am in love with your game. This reminds me so much of the tower defense game on my previous phone which I played to death.
Good luck with the remaining development and I personally look forward to it's progress. Can't wait to have a go on my 6128.

Did you write the music yourself? Coder and musician is a great mix. 8) (I am neither!) :laugh:
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Munchausen

I also love it. Even the ripped graphics and the loading screen have a charm, and the music is just awesome!

The only thing that is slightly confusing is that the turrets dont do anything - so I can't tell why the enemies die when there's a turret near by, they just disappear!

Ast

I like the concept and what a great tune.... Who did compose it?

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Prodatron

Really great PT3 music, and I like the tiles/sprites a lot! The sprites are already designed in such a good way that I thought a professional did it.
It's cool to see this the first time on the CPC!
Will you add some animations showing the towers shooting the robots? Some flying robots planned? All the base functions already seem to be completed, congratulations!

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Shining

Thanks @all  :) .

At the moment there is an animation when an enemy is under attack. I overlaied a fire-animation over the enemy. Perhaps this is not sufficient ? I'll have a closer look at that later.

About music: I still have some own never released soudtrakker-tunes which I composed in the past but I dont thaugt that I find the time to compose the remaining ones. So I asked the speccy-composer mmcm If I'm allowed to use some of his fantastic tunes. So all the 6 tunes I included are from him.

@Prodatron:
yes, I'm planning flying enemys..

@Morri:
I played and still play robo defense on my android.
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

Puresox

The music is superb, and I look forward to a tower defence game on Amstrad. The loading screen is pretty smart although I would go for a different hair colour personally. But you might be basing it on someone specific. Anyway as always great to see people developing on the CPC.

kilon

Quote from: Puresox on 13:19, 09 March 15
The music is superb, and I look forward to a tower defence game on Amstrad. The loading screen is pretty smart although I would go for a different hair colour personally. But you might be basing it on someone specific. Anyway as always great to see people developing on the CPC.

the music is indeed very good. The best I have listened to from any Amstrad game.

Gryzor

I love this. And loving Defense games I'll sure play it a lot! Thanks for letting us know, please keep us updated!

One question: why did you go for mode 0? I would have thought mode 1 is really well-suited for such a game?

Awesome tune btw :)

Puresox

I agree, mode 1 would have seemed appropriate. No probs with what your doing of course , look forward to it.

Shining

I agree too  :) . I thaught many times that mode 1 would be better but I went that far in mode 0 that I did not want to change. Also I think that for mode 1 the best way is to work with masked sprites and my current sprite-routine is using transparency. Now my goal is to finish this one the way it is. Perhaps also to proove that I'm able to do so and then, when the game is liked to go for another one. At first I wanted to make the game completely by myself then realizing that I was not able to do the gfx the way I wanted. So the actual gfx is only a compromise and I lowered my ambitions, completely skipping some things which are still in my mind.

I love working on this game very much but this'll be the only production I'll do on my own.

BTW: After servicing my 6128+ the last two days I'm now getting back to the game. I've moved many things between the banks the last days to get some space for the now added tribute to the death of Leonard Nimoy:

[attachimg=1]

HEEEEEEEEELP the flying enemys are coming  ;) .
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

TFM

Awesome! Keep the good work going!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Thanks for the explanation, nice to know the process.

Great work, please keep it up!

Prodatron

TBH in 90% of the cases I like Mode 0 more for games, as here the amount of colours is more important than the resolution. So in my opinion it was a good choice. Nice to see the flying Star Trek robots! :D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Gryzor

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:46, 25 March 15
TBH in 90% of the cases I like Mode 0 more for games, as here the amount of colours is more important than the resolution. So in my opinion it was a good choice. Nice to see the flying Star Trek robots! :D

Heh, I was actually thinking of opening a thread titled "Colours or resolution?" and then I read your post :D

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:05, 19 April 15

Heh, I was actually thinking of opening a thread titled "Colours or resolution?" and then I read your post :D
Wait... does this mean I can't have the pie and eat it?  :laugh:

EDIT: Anything new about this great game?
TFM of FutureSoft

Shining

To give some  lifesigns about the game, here some screenshots of three different tilesets:

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=2]

- The game consists now of 4 tilesets (which are all completed)
- 8 Maps (which are not fully completed)
- Ground and air enemys

All Ingame-GFX is complete. At the moment I'm working on some things around the game (menu, level-chooser etc.).

I think later THIS YEAR I'll go into balancing the game (which will be a big effort). Then I hope that one or two of you are willing to help because I think it is a different story when someone else plays a game than the developer.
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

Puresox

Looking better each time ! All strength to you and the project!

TFM

Great to see all the progress!!! Always there for helping, just PM / email me when needed.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

invent

Great to see a project like this on the CPC (haven't seen the thread before)

Best of luck, do hope you finish it. 
Music is excellent by the way.

Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

Shining

Thanks @all.

By the way: For sure, defence will be absolutely free ! But do you think there is an interest in a little physical edition with for example the soundtrack ?

TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

Gryzor

Oooh I like this!!! And, of course, I'm all for a physical release!!!

TFM

I would take a physical copy, and I don't mint to pay a bit more for good work!

Just an idea: Would it be possible to exchange the GFX for enemies? So we could patch our own stuff in?
TFM of FutureSoft