News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Dizzy's 30th Anniversary! - Which Dizzy game do you remember playing?

Started by Neil79, 12:18, 12 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

This year is Dizzy's 30th Anniversary, created by the legendary Oliver Twins Philip and Andrew Oliver. Which means many of us will be celebrating, but do you remember playing any of the Dizzy games?

The Android/iOS Dizzy game was also released yesterday as a Dizzy age remake.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/02/dizzys-30-year-anniversary-dizzyage.html
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Shaun M. Neary

Fantasy World Dizzy (3) was my first.

That amazing illusion had me stumped for days trying to get that 30th coin.

Treasure Island Dizzy followed but I couldn't play it for many years because for some reason, my copy had a bug where the CPC would reset itself anytime I went into the water, regardless if I had the snorkel or not.

The first came next. I actually only finished it for the first time without a cheat last year, probably due to the lack of patience I had with the game when I was younger.

Magicland and POTYF came in 93, beat them with enough ease.

Spellbound Dizzy, I first played in 1995 (I took a few years away from the CPC scene between 1991-1993 which is why I played catch up, night clubs got in the way), only finished that for the first time without a cheat last year too. Ridiculously long!

Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, I don't really have the patience for, even today. It looks awful, the interaction is boring and the movement is just odd. It doesn't even feel like a Dizzy game.

Nominal mentions to:

Fantastic Dizzy (Megadrive): Long, and the mine cart rides are frustrating as hell, but once you get to master those tracks, it's a fun romp.
Wonderland Dizzy (SNES): In the middle of playing this, liking the novel idea of switching between Dizzy and Daisy too.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

robbarton

I loved the Dizzy games (especially the music) and I think I played the first four in the order they came out.

1- Dizzy, following the AA special version from issue 37. Never got very far as it always struck me as difficult. I was only about 7 at the time though.

2- Treasure Island Dizzy - quite enjoyed this as I came to it after having seen the map in AA which made it easy to follow.

3- Fantasy World Dizzy - loved this one as I was a bit older and able to work out most of the puzzles for myself. This was where the inventory menu first showed up which was an improvement on the previous shuffling system! I seem to recall going out to buy it when it was first released as I enjoyed the previous Dizzy games.

4- Magicland Dizzy - really enjoyed this one as well although the energy/diamonds took a bit of getting used to at first. Again got it as soon as it came out.

After that I didn't play the rest until recent years. I think Seymour came along and I enjoyed the change (despite Wild West Seymour being ridiculously easy). I do remain a fan of Dizzy and looking back at the games they seem to be pretty well scripted (with reasonably logical puzzles) and well coded - I can't think of any particular bugs.

keith56

I was a huge dizzy fan back in the day!

Looking back I think my favourite would be the first, it seemed pretty remarkable back then, and the sequels were slow improvements on that formula.

I don't think I played any of the adventures after Magicland though, I don't know, maybe they all looked too samey, or perhaps I had moved to Nes gaming.

aside from the main games Quick Snax was excellent too! and fast food was good fun, though very pac-man ish - and was I the only one who enjoyed Panic Dizzy - I seem to always hear people complain about it!

I've seen the Nes and 16 bit versions of the games, but they never interested me, they seemed too slow to compare to the platformers and didn't have the 'Magic' of the originals, I think dizzy was a great 8 bit game that worked well with the limitations of those systems
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Nich

Quote from: Neil79 on 12:18, 12 February 17
This year is Dizzy's 30th Anniversary, created by the legendary Oliver Twins Philip and Andrew Oliver. Which means many of us will be celebrating, but do you remember playing any of the Dizzy games?

My brothers and I owned and played every Dizzy game for the CPC back in the day - although our first experience of Dizzy was playing the first two games (Dizzy and Treasure Island Dizzy) on the Spectrum.

Of all the 'adventure' Dizzy games, Fantasy World Dizzy is my favourite. Treasure Island Dizzy was annoying because you only had one life. Spellbound Dizzy was far too big, and having to constantly go back and forth between the mine and the shaft to get rocks was really tedious. Crystal Kingdom Dizzy was too easy, and the fact that it used MODE 0 graphics instead of MODE 1 like all of Dizzy's previous adventures on the CPC meant that it somehow didn't 'feel right' to me.

As for the 'arcade' Dizzy games, I liked Fast Food and Kwik Snax. Bubble Dizzy was all right but too easy, Dizzy Panic was rather dull, and Dizzy Down the Rapids was simply awful!

I also have vague memories of playing Fantastic Dizzy on my brother's Mega Drive, which combined elements of several of Dizzy's previous adventures into one game.

zeropolis79

I started with the first game, but because of the shotage of CPC games, I never played CKD until 95 when I borrowed it from a friend at college.

I did have the Megadrive Fantastic Dizzy..

Loved them all.

I liked how the difficulty level varied from game to game..

I nearly completed Spellbound Dizzy last year using my 6128 Plus but when I was TWO screens away, it crashed. (I was playing it on the C4 cart). I really lost my temper there (and I'm told I was unbearable for a week - but everyone who knows me in this group and FB know I have a short temper)

Carnivius

My faves are Prince of the Yolk Folk, Fantasy World, Crystal Kingdom Dizzy (The graphics could be better defined but I welcomed the change after getting quite honestly bored with reused sprites every time in previous games) and for the more arcadey games I loved Fast Food and Kwik Snax.   Still have great fondness for the very first Dizzy too.

I found Treasure Island Dizzy too frustrating, and Spellbound & Magicland didn't hook me for some reason. 

I've enjoyed Dizzy games on other formats such as Amiga and Mega Drive but something about their chirpy blue skies 'spoils' the dark mysterious fantasy based atmosphere I got from the CPC versions and their black skies.

I also enjoyed the Seymour games such as Take One, Goes to Hollywood and Wild West.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Zoe Robinson

Dizzy was the best series on the CPC, I loved them to bits and had both big box collections; which I saved up my pocket money for and never regretted buying.

My first introduction to the Egg Adventurer was Treasure Island Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum at my cousin's house. He loved that game and we played it for hours, but never quite finished it (I recall we got the boat together near the end, then walked off it and died in the water - that was as close to victory as we got!). I couldn't find a copy of Treasure Island on CPC for years (eventually got it in the first Dizzy box set, of course) so my first Amstrad outing was Fantasy World Dizzy. Such a good game! Never found all the coins though (it's easier on the PC version - that stupid hidden platform room is easier to work out on the slightly higher PC resolution).

I really, really wish Dizzy would make a comeback. Imagine a new outing on modern hardware - it would be beautiful!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 19:16, 18 February 17
I really, really wish Dizzy would make a comeback. Imagine a new outing on modern hardware - it would be beautiful!

Wonderland Dizzy is worth checking out with a NES emulator. I still haven't finished it yet.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Nich on 12:16, 18 February 17
I also have vague memories of playing Fantastic Dizzy on my brother's Mega Drive, which combined elements of several of Dizzy's previous adventures into one game.

It was looooooooooong. It was even bigger than Spellbound. It didn't have the annoying section like the trampoline and the clouds, but sometimes navigating around the treehouse village could get frustrating, and the mine cart. It took several attempts to get to know the route in order to collect all the stars.

zeropolis79

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 01:09, 19 February 17

Wonderland Dizzy is worth checking out with a NES emulator. I still haven't finished it yet.

Got that on a real cart for the NES..

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 16:46, 21 February 17
Got that on a real cart for the NES..

All the same to me, except the NES won't die after a year.
Seriously, went through two of the things between 92-93 where they just stopped reading the cartridge.

Quite happy with the job RetroPie has been doing. =D