News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Does the CPC have a Scramble clone?

Started by mr_lou, 20:05, 11 September 10

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

The game Scramble from 1981, it was made for the C64 called Skramble.
The CPC seems to have 3 games with the word Scramble, but it's not the original Scramble game.

So, do you know of any other title for the CPC that is a Scramble clone?

MacDeath

I supose a video is welcome...

http://www.youtube.com/v/esPw5uSu2CI

Doesn't look bad at all, but we can clearly see this is a early production... but according to the copyright, it is from 1983 and not 1981... yet perhaps it was ported from a 1981 arcade game...
Few colours per sprites and the scrolling is not that smooth...

But seems fairly decent even in modern standards, and perhaps even far better than many CPC shooterz.

Let's see... Arcade by Konami, 1981... ok.
http://www.youtube.com/v/kjIbk1Lpr4I

Enjoy.

to be fair, the Arcade seems to have a lot of parts in 4 colours only...
It may actually be quite possible to get a proper port with Amstrad 6128PLUS using a 256x272 vertical full screen in mode1... and adding a heavy use of hardwired sprites...
Perhaps a raster for the scores too... and get a near Arcade pefect game...
but Mode0 could be great too...lol...

The game engine seems to have been cloned a lot actually...

http://www.youtube.com/v/AgSQ6cb3zWA
Marvelous time when you could do an entire new game just by changing the main sprite...

Also, what's up with the numerous colour changes ?

MiguelSky

There is a pair of clones:

Killer Cobra                                                                                          Star Avenger.

mr_lou

Thanks MiguelSky.

Someone should add those two here perhaps.
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/scramble-variants

They're both nice clones, although I'm missing the bombs in Star Avenger. Nice smooth movement in Killer Cobra, but slightly too fast.

Xyphoe

I was immediately going to say Killer Cobra ... probably one of my favourite ever budget releases on the CPC.

The disk uploaded to CPC Power and TACGR I think is corrupt, the game corrupts at the 'closing doors' bit on the level after the asteroid field. :(

mr_lou

Quote from: MacDeath on 20:44, 11 September 10
Marvelous time when you could do an entire new game just by changing the main sprite...

I think, back in those days, a game could become really popular, and thus played a lot. So people got bored with the same game because they played it that much. A clone with new levels and done slightly different would be a hit too.
I think the same can easily be done nowadays too. It just requires the first version to be a hit. (And isn't it what we're seeing with nearly every 3d shooter really?)

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 20:44, 11 September 10

[YouTube=AgSQ6cb3zWA]Arcade[/Youtube]

This looks exactly like the MSX version I used to play at a mate's... wow.

Nich

Quote from: Xyphoe on 05:23, 13 September 10The disk uploaded to CPC Power and TACGR I think is corrupt, the game corrupts at the 'closing doors' bit on the level after the asteroid field. :(
Indeed it is - but I have re-cracked the game, using the CDT file that Dlfrsilver uploaded to CPC-POWER! :) I will upload it the next time NVG is updated.

Xyphoe

Quote from: Nich on 12:43, 19 September 10
Indeed it is - but I have re-cracked the game, using the CDT file that Dlfrsilver uploaded to CPC-POWER! :) I will upload it the next time NVG is updated.

Oh wicked!!! Top job/news mate!!
Was it a bad sector or something?

When's the next NVG update anyway? :)

Johnny Olsen

Nich

Quote from: Xyphoe on 02:58, 21 September 10
Oh wicked!!! Top job/news mate!!
Was it a bad sector or something?

When's the next NVG update anyway? :)
I have just updated NVG this afternoon, and uploaded the new version of Killer Cobra. There must have been some corrupted bytes in the previous version.

Xyphoe

Quote from: Nich on 16:13, 17 October 10
I have just updated NVG this afternoon, and uploaded the new version of Killer Cobra. There must have been some corrupted bytes in the previous version.

Thank you sir!!! Sorry for the late reply!

Yes - I can confirm this version is fully working - I've just completed this afternoon.

Here's the completed screen - please feel free to email to the CPC-Power webmaster as the page can have the completed screen - but also they need to update their link to the new file there.

Spoiler: ShowHide

*edit to put image in spoiler tags ooops!*

Gryzor

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

Do they really send you money when you complete it?

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:28, 22 February 11
SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

Do they really send you money when you complete it?

Yes, and the best thing is, that you get two extra lives, so especially in some countries, that's more important than the 80.000 points bonus.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Edited my post!!!

OOooooh nice ... images work in spoiler tags too :) That's cool

Gryzor

Yes :) at first it would break things if you included anything else but plain text but somehow I fixed it - and don't remember how :(