News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Enduro Racer - crashes when you complete the game

Started by Xyphoe, 07:24, 14 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone is interested in fixing the bug and crash at the end of Enduro Racer when you complete the final stage 5?

[attachimg=1]

CPC-Power is aware of the crash -> http://cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=811

But on the cracked disk of the game the notes state -> "The game does not crash at the end of level 5 (this version does not use memory banks)"

However after playing in WinApe I can confirm it does (see screenshot above).

It mentions 'memory banks', which intrigued me because Hermol provided a list of 128k game in this topic http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/games-using-128k-ram/msg19062/#msg19062 which included Enduro Racer there! So I tested using the CPC 464 profile with 64k and the same crash happens. Does make me wonder if they actually did use 128k of memory and there's an ending waiting. I doubt it because the Speccy version, of which this is a direct port of (and much slower for it), doesn't really have one (see below), but it does have a jingle of music in the game that plays after a short period of time repeatedly - maybe the CPC version includes music in the 128k version but because of bugs doesn't work?

Side note - Phantomz noticed the same bug and he too tested the cracked disk dump in the Converted GX4000 topic http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/converted-gx4000-cpr-the-topic/msg115199/#msg115199

Anyone fancy looking into this and maybe fixing it?

Looking at the Speccy longplay when you reach the end the bike should drive off into the distance and it should display a list of lap times, then go to the high score table -> https://youtu.be/Q5wNRh9lz6Y?t=6m6s

If you check my screen shot above you'll note that the stage number has moved to Stage 6 (and the screen has changed colour from white to yellow, sometimes it changes to orange) - maybe that could be the problem?

Thanks!

villain

My deepest respect to everybody who is able to stand a game like this for more than two minutes!  :o

dragon

Quote from: Xyphoe on 07:24, 14 April 17
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone is interested in fixing the bug and crash at the end of Enduro Racer when you complete the final stage 5?

[attachimg=1]

CPC-Power is aware of the crash -> http://cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=811

But on the cracked disk of the game the notes state -> "The game does not crash at the end of level 5 (this version does not use memory banks)"

However after playing in WinApe I can confirm it does (see screenshot above).

It mentions 'memory banks', which intrigued me because Hermol provided a list of 128k game in this topic http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/games-using-128k-ram/msg19062/#msg19062 which included Enduro Racer there! So I tested using the CPC 464 profile with 64k and the same crash happens. Does make me wonder if they actually did use 128k of memory and there's an ending waiting. I doubt it because the Speccy version, of which this is a direct port of (and much slower for it), doesn't really have one (see below), but it does have a jingle of music in the game that plays after a short period of time repeatedly - maybe the CPC version includes music in the 128k version but because of bugs doesn't work?

Side note - Phantomz noticed the same bug and he too tested the cracked disk dump in the Converted GX4000 topic http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/converted-gx4000-cpr-the-topic/msg115199/#msg115199

Looking at the Speccy longplay when you reach the end the bike should drive off into the distance and it should display a list of lap times, then go to the high score table -> https://youtu.be/Q5wNRh9lz6Y?t=6m6s

If you check my screen shot above you'll note that the stage number has moved to Stage 6 (and the screen has changed colour from white to yellow, sometimes it changes to orange) - maybe that could be the problem?

Thanks!

I can take a look, But thats not mean It can be fixed. For example i take a look now to the renegade bug of blonde. And It appears the sprites  not exist  in the Game, and are heavily conpressed, so the only rápid  solution was use the red hair sprites. So blonde trasformn un red hair in the floor and return to blonde when Up XD.

Anyway put a snapshot just in previus moment of the bug.

||C|-|E||

Nobody thought that it would be possible to finish it!  :laugh:

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: villain on 08:58, 14 April 17
My deepest respect to everybody who is able to stand a game like this for more than two minutes!  :o

Spectrum graphics aside, it's not a bad conversion. It's quite faithful to the arcade which wasn't all that fast to begin with as it's meant to represent a dirt bike, not a motorcycle.

I also don't get the hate for Super Hang On either, sure it had speccy graphics and bee engine sounds, but so did WEC Le Mans and people still sing it's praises.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Joseman

i've 2 friends that loved enduro racer on his cpc back in the day, the strange thing is that one of them ended the game and i don't remember him complaining about the game hanging...

Nich

Quote from: Xyphoe on 07:24, 14 April 17

I've had a look at the code this evening. The bug is caused by the timer (stored at address &6621) not being reset to zero when the game is completed.

To fix the bug, you could change the JP &A134 instruction at address &A002 to jump to a patch that will reset the timer.

As it's the Easter holidays, maybe I will try to crack it.

Joseman

i've talked with my friend and he swear that ended the game 5 times (4 in a 464 and 1 on a 6128) and that the game didn't hang. 
the game stops for a while, the counter of time resets like a new game and it goes to the score screen to put your name. Then you can start a new game without problem.

weird...

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 21:25, 14 April 17
As it's the Easter holidays, maybe I will try to crack it.

I've uploaded a new version to NVG. I've even added a cheat mode to prevent you from falling off your bike. :)

One interesting (but annoying) side-effect of using the 'infinite time' cheat mode is that the game doesn't calculate your lap times properly - but you can't have everything.

Xyphoe

Quote from: Nich on 15:11, 16 April 17
I've uploaded a new version to NVG. I've even added a cheat mode to prevent you from falling off your bike. :)

One interesting (but annoying) side-effect of using the 'infinite time' cheat mode is that the game doesn't calculate your lap times properly - but you can't have everything.

Awesome! Cheers Nich! I'll try it out later :)

Xyphoe

Quote from: Nich on 15:11, 16 April 17

Thank you so much again! I have tested your version and I've completed it to the end without crashing. It works!

Phantomz

Quote from: Xyphoe on 07:01, 20 April 17
Thank you so much again! I have tested your version and I've completed it to the end without crashing. It works!

I can also confirm that it works great.  8)

I play tested it on winape and real hardware ( GX4000 ) when I play tested the cpr.  ;D

The new working cpr is in the following thread.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/converted-gx4000-cpr-the-topic/1880/

Xyphoe

Can someone let Kukulcan know to add to CPC Power? And whoever runs CPCRulez?

:)

AstonSmith

I have 3 copies of this game on tapes (2 standalone and one in Ocean's "In Crowd" box set). The two standalone tapes decode differently - one has a standard loader and one uses Speedlock. I haven't looked at the box set copy yet.

Is there an easy way to tell if the copies I have are different versions?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: AstonSmith on 13:32, 21 April 17
I have 3 copies of this game on tapes (2 standalone and one in Ocean's "In Crowd" box set). The two standalone tapes decode differently - one has a standard loader and one uses Speedlock. I haven't looked at the box set copy yet.

Is there an easy way to tell if the copies I have are different versions?

Huh? Enduro Racer wasn't part of that compilation as far as I remember, at least not the UK issue...

The 8 games were Barbarian, Target Renegade, Crazy Cars, Gryzor, Combat School, Platoon, Predator and Karnov.
(Except for the C64 version, where Last Ninja replaces Crazy Cars)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

AstonSmith

Oops, you are right. It's in the Fists and Throttles set.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: AstonSmith on 18:27, 21 April 17
Oops, you are right. It's in the Fists and Throttles set.

Yeah, that makes sense. For whatever reason, it made a couple of Elite compilations (one of the Hit-Pak sets found it bundled too). I actually couldn't find it anywhere in Ireland until it got released on budget in 89/90.

sigh

I wanted to like this game, but I just didn't enjoy it. Not keen on the graphics, but more importantly is that it feels really slow and sluggish.
I would of love to have seen what Martech would of done with this.

Nich

Quote from: Xyphoe on 22:21, 20 April 17
Can someone let Kukulcan know to add to CPC Power? And whoever runs CPCRulez?

I've already sent my DSK file to Kukulcan so it should appear in the next update of CPC-POWER.

As for contacting @hERMOL (who runs CPCRulez), he is registered on this forum, but it seems that you have to register with the CPCRulez forum to upload files to that site.

Puresox

I enjoyed the CPC version as a lad , I remember it being on the other side of my copy of Livingstone (I Presume) And despite its collision issues , I actually was entertained by it . I remember having. The Stranglers'Ratus Norvegicus' and 'Never mind the Bollocks' on repeat whilst I played both of these games . Happy memories for me. But thats the nostelgia buzz I get from this hobby .
Must admit I was utterly shocked at how slow it was when I was watching Xyphoes playthrough.
I didn't mind Super Hang on either , once I just lowered my expectations knowing it was a lazy Spec Port.

sigh

Wow - I remember being sorely disappointed with this game as I enjoyed the arcade because of the jumps. I tried to like it on my CPC but I just couldn't get past the sluggish speed.