News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Existing games => Cartridges

Started by mr_lou, 16:52, 11 February 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 22:25, 25 February 13
I don't quite understand what the difference is between standard and custom?
The standard GX4000 cartridge design may be copyrighted... A custom (close design) not.
In all case, it's better to draw a new design where front and back are the sames.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

For the new manufacturer both designs would be new (custom), so I don't understand the difference in price.

The new design would definitely need to be different, because those case clips just have to go. The new design will need to be with a screw and possibly slightly larger to allow for different expansions.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 09:51, 26 February 13
For the new manufacturer both designs would be new (custom), so I don't understand the difference in price.

The new design would definitely need to be different, because those case clips just have to go. The new design will need to be with a screw and possibly slightly larger to allow for different expansions.

Bryce.
the "standard" design is a different sized box, they have the design done, but need to modify sizes.

the "new" design is I believe complete custom with all the appropiate notches etc.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: TotO on 09:14, 26 February 13
The standard GX4000 cartridge design may be copyrighted... A custom (close design) not.
In all case, it's better to draw a new design where front and back are the sames.
front and back can't be the same because of the notches for the locking mechanism and the grooves on the sides, the rest can be.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 22:25, 25 February 13
I don't quite understand what the difference is between standard and custom? Aren't they both custom?

As far as tech drawings are concerned, I'll see what I can do.

Bryce.
if you need more info from me in terms of measurements, scans etc I'll be happy to help. I believe you have some carts to hand anyway, but I can send you the two shell bits if you need them.
My games. My Games

Bryce

I have about 10 Cartridges here, both opened and unopened, so I should be able to get all the measurements myself. Finding time to use one of the CAD machines here will be the biggest issue :( Did they mention what format they prefer?

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 10:41, 26 February 13
I have about 10 Cartridges here, both opened and unopened, so I should be able to get all the measurements myself. Finding time to use one of the CAD machines here will be the biggest issue :( Did they mention what format they prefer?

Bryce.
no, they didn't say.
My games. My Games

TotO

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:25, 26 February 13
front and back can't be the same because of the notches for the locking mechanism and the grooves on the sides, the rest can be.
You can have the notch on the both sides... Sure, that mean you can insert it wrong...
But, if the label show the title on the top it's not a real problem?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

If the notch isn't there you can't switch the CPC on! The power switch slides into that notch to ensure the cartridge can't be pulled out while the CPC is running.

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: TotO on 11:47, 26 February 13
But, if the label show the title on the top it's not a real problem?

I know we're talking about new carts here but just your comment reminded me of my Robocop 2 cartridge where the label is on the wrong way around. I mean it's boxed and the label looks genuine - what's up with that???  :laugh: Anyway, back on topic :)

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

arnoldemu

Quote from: beaker on 13:31, 26 February 13
I know we're talking about new carts here but just your comment reminded me of my Robocop 2 cartridge where the label is on the wrong way around. I mean it's boxed and the label looks genuine - what's up with that???  :laugh: Anyway, back on topic :)

[attach=2]

[attach=3]
it would be great to have some measurements and pictures of the outside and inside of a cart box. Mine are all packed away at this time.
Would be interesting to know what sized cardboard box, or plastic box would match those.

Bootlegs used vhs video cassette boxes didn't they?
My games. My Games

ralferoo

BTW, there's a very interesting article on hackaday today that also includes a picture that shows the kind of banding I was talking about that you get from a 3D printer and a new idea someone's come up with to try to solve it... Giving 3D printed parts a shiny smooth finish

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 12:56, 26 February 13
It the notch isn't there you can't switch the CPC on! The power switch slides into that notch to ensure the cartridge can't be pulled out while the CPC is running.
That is not a problem, if you get them on the both sides...

Bryce

Yes, but both parts would still have to different. Internally the bottom half has supports for the PCB and the hole for the screw would also need to be different, so it would be very difficult to come up with a design that had two identical parts.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: beaker on 13:31, 26 February 13

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

Assembled in China
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 15:59, 26 February 13
Yes, but both parts would still have to different. Internally the bottom half has supports for the PCB and the hole for the screw would also need to be different, so it would be very difficult to come up with a design that had two identical parts.
Because you think with the original design in mind. You can imagine another way to support the PCB on the both sides, instead of only one. And you may forget screws and use asymetric clips. (male top left and botom right, and female top right and bottom left) Identical, but when turned at 180°, fit togethers.

Now, it's just an idea to half the quantity needed for a low batch of cartridge.
But sure, it'll look better if designed for 2 differents sides.

Bryce

Eh no. I think: "The more complicated the mold is, the more expensive the parts become". If the mold needs several inserts then it will cost a fortune, the design has to be possible in a two part mold.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/cartfront.jpg
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/topinside.jpg
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/bottom.jpg
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/bottominside.jpg

I took Markus' advice and I scanned the  cartridge.

outer turned out good.
inside was not so good. top is acceptable, bottom is too blurred. it was sitting on the clips. But you can see from this the general shape of the inside and should be able to make some measurements.
My games. My Games

robcfg

This week I'm going to be too busy with RetroMadrid, but I can try scanning a cartridge with the scanner I use for the PCB's next week.

gerald

Regarding custom Cartridge, here is a SketchUp I did of the original one.
This could be a starting point for a simplified version (acrylic/metal ...)

[attachimg=1]

Bryce

Hey nice work! Is it in a format which can be used for CNC / molding / 3D Printing?

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 20:27, 03 June 13
Is it in a format which can be used for CNC / molding / 3D Printing?

I had no idea until you asked  ;)
For 3D printing, I just found this Using SketchUp for 3D printing - Ultimaker Wiki
So I hope there is a way for CNC/molding as well.

However, the current sketchup does not include proper angle to ease demolding (as on the real cartridge).

In fact I started this only to get proper dimensions of PCB and internal support placement .... and end up with the full case  :laugh:

Bryce

You should have said. I did 2D drawings of the Cartridge and PCB to get exact dimensions for my Multi-Cart project. I had intended to make them 3D, but I never got around to it.

Bryce.

gerald

Good ! We have two set of measurements so we can cross-check the dimensions !
I am just wondering where to put these data on the wiki.