News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Game's that you feel need more recognition...!

Started by Puresox, 21:18, 23 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

Just been giving Players 'Doodlebug' a blast as I do from time to time, and I just thought i'd like to sing it's praises,I think this game was a budget title back in the day, It is a brilliant clone of Universals 'Lady Bug'. I am so impressed by how much effort went into this game, and I think it deserved a lot more recognition. It has great graphics(In the sense of being very similar to the original), It plays spot on. The music,sound effects and little dittys are really well done.It has great presentation and features an attract/Demo mode and fancy arcade style Hall of fame. It also features a great little bonus game if you spell out the word 'SPECIAL' when in play . I know that it is a throwaway little game, but it is/was such a pleasure to play and had the presentation that many other Amstrad games didn't have.
Anyway just wanted to give this gem a shoutout. Anyone else have any hidden gems?

dcdrac

Puresox

That game cropped up on my radar , the other day when I was looking at some old Amstrad Action mags, I noticed that it was a Rave I think? It piqued my interest and I am going to look into it, cos it is not a game I have every played. Is it very easy to get into?

redbox

Quote from: Puresox on 21:18, 23 July 13
Just been giving Players 'Doodlebug' a blast as I do from time to time, and I just thought i'd like to sing it's praises

Never seen this before and I enjoyed playing it[nb]Gotta love CPC Power being back online combined with a HxC![/nb].

Some nice CRTC effects too (for a 1987 game) like the screen shaking and transitions between screens.

Puresox

Oh it's back up and running is it! Great news!

Gryzor

Ah yes, I've enjoyed Doodle Bug in the past myself. I never cared much for the arcade original, but the port is very nice :)

TFM

Indeed a nice game...

Amstrad CPC:

Amstrad CPC Doodle Bug
And here the CBS colecovision version:

Lady Bug (ColecoVision)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

Another game I have just come across , that I never was aware of back in the 80's/90's is Battle Command by Ocean.It is a really smooth running Tank sim with various missions , filled in Wire frame graphics. Really impressed with this , it has mouse controls too , which I have not come across for the Amstrad before, must have been when I had moved on from my Amstrad
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=370

GOB

Monty python flying circus is a very good game for me.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

Yeah Black Land looks great , I have never managed to get it to work , I have seen the intro I think. Will dig it out and give it another blast.

I found this game pretty cool, especially if you are into learning who said what , and great quotes . It is called 'Who said that' real nice format that is enjoyable to play. I scored 383 on my first go ,which I thought was quite good until I saw the high score table went up to over 800!!

Puresox

Quote from: GOB on 22:47, 26 July 13
Monty python flying circus is a very good game for me.
Monty python was pretty cool nice graphics and secrets and good little game for sure.

EgoTrip

I like the Black Land music, never heard of that game before

mr_lou

Have to agree about Doodlebug. I only discovered it recently, and thought it was a great port of Lady Bug. Wish I'd known about it back in the day, but asking around for "an Amstrad version of Lady Bug" didn't give much results back then.
Doodlebug could have used some better sound effects though, but otherwise it's a great port.

Puresox

PSS had a Dungeons and Dragons game which looked really good, but I always found it too Buggy to play. I think there was a demo of it given free with AAction. I have never found a dump of it that played without auto resetting within around a few minutes.

Axelay

Quote from: Puresox on 17:00, 28 July 13
PSS had a Dungeons and Dragons game which looked really good, but I always found it too Buggy to play. I think there was a demo of it given free with AAction. I have never found a dump of it that played without auto resetting within around a few minutes.

Do you mean Swords & Sorcery?  I wanted to like that game *a lot* based on the concept and how it seemed like it would play, but it just kept crashing or doing something to become unplayable after a short amount of time whenever I played it.  :(

Puresox

Quote from: Axelay on 09:56, 29 July 13

Do you mean Swords & Sorcery?  I wanted to like that game *a lot* based on the concept and how it seemed like it would play, but it just kept crashing or doing something to become unplayable after a short amount of time whenever I played it.  :(
Yeah thats the one 'Swords & Sorcery'. It did look like it had so much potential , but as you say it never bloody worked! In fact I think it was the most bugged game I have ever played. Don't know if there is a version about that plays properly ? You would think so, for a commercial game?

Puresox

I have tried Heroes of the lance before , but I didn't persevere , not sure there is a good game in it or not?

Gryzor

Ohhh Heroes of the Lance! I was entranced back then. No, it's not a great game, but back in the day if you were into that sort of thing and had a CPC it was a great option... Pity there's no video of it online!

A lovely game with the "Amsoft" stigma:

Oh Mummy! - Amstrad CPC 464

I think Retro Gamer had actually given it two thumbs up, but I don't think too many people have enjoyed it...

GOB

Oh mummy, one of my first game :) A very good one. I remember his music :)

EgoTrip

Oh Mummy was great. Its basically reverse Pac Man (as in you create, instead of collect dots or footsteps), with slightly more strategy. It was definitely one of the better of the free games.

Puresox

Yeah Oh Mummy, definitely had all the right elements for a good little game, variety of skill levels too , so could be enjoyed by all really.