News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Game with most portings/conversion including CPC

Started by felow, 12:07, 24 July 17

Previous topic - Next topic

felow

Hello,
I would need help in finding which game (or games) has been most ported on various system (home-computers and consoles) over the decades. And that has strictly been converted also for CPC. Not necessarily from a coin-op arcade original. I mean games that has passed as they were from the beginning from system to system, officially, just updated. No spin-off, sequels or prequel (for example Turrican is not a runner in terms of longevity for my search because it was ported for certain later consoles only as Super Turrican 2, not as the original game). Maybe Commando (Capcom) could be an example.
Thanks to all.

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Sykobee (Briggsy)

For arcade originating games: Probably something early like Space Invaders or Pacman

For home computer originating games, that's a bit tougher!

felow

Quote from: Carnivius on 12:15, 24 July 17
Lemmings?

Yes, surely a great example. Thanks. But I'm searching for titles that goes back further in time (let's say from mid-80's circa).

Carnivius

I dunno.    Bubble Bobble?  R-Type?  Those were big arcade hits that have been converted to all sorts of things.  Hell, I play Bubble Bobble on my PS4 which not sure if counts cos I think it's more of an arcade rom within a MAME-like emulator package than a true port but that's fine by me. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Shaun M. Neary

Why do I get the feeling we're doing this guys college assignment for him?  :) :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

CraigsBar

Tetris surely

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

arnoldemu

Something like Snake, but it will be called different things on different platforms.
It's on old nokia phones and computers alike.

Don't know if there was an arcade version of this.

Either that or something like "tron"/"light cycles".

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

felow

Thanks for all replies till now. And no this is not a college assignment, just  a personal research out of curiosity. Hope is not avoided on the forum to post questions out of curiosity ;-)
Which Space invaders CPC conversion is the official one?

Puresox

Just look for the crappest game from domark. although you may be spoiled for choice

CraigsBar

Quote from: Puresox on 13:57, 24 July 17
Just look for the crappest game from domark. although you may be spoiled for choice
Rofl.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:03, 24 July 17
Rofl.

That made me laugh too, Domark/Tengen made the US Gold/Crapcom conversions look good 😂😂

Quote from: felow on 13:43, 24 July 17
Thanks for all replies till now. And no this is not a college assignment, just  a personal research out of curiosity. Hope is not avoided on the forum to post questions out of curiosity ;-)
Which Space invaders CPC conversion is the official one?

Nah, I'm just teasing, hence the smilies at the end.
Don't think the original was converted but the abortion that was Super Space Invaders got a conversion in 1991 definitely did. I wouldn't recommend it.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:13, 24 July 17

That made me laugh too, Domark/Tengen made the US Gold/Crapcom conversions look good [emoji23][emoji23]

Nah, I'm just teasing, hence the smilies at the end.
Don't think the original was converted but the abortion that was Super Space Invaders got a conversion in 1991 definitely did. I wouldn't recommend it.
Which is super annoying as the SMS conversion of super space invaders is brilliant.

Cholo

Sim City and Pirates! i guess could qualify. Sim City may have been developed a bit too much to still be "the same game" but its technically still the same game i think. Pirates! had even less "updates" like pretty much just prettier graphics & perhaps a "visit the govenor" option has turned into a dance sequence, but other than that its still the same. Pirates! has a lot of versions as it was renamed a lot .. i assume for copyright reasons .. to Pirates! Gold .. Pirates! Gold Plus. Any day now i expect a Super Pirates! Gold Plus Ex Turbo to be released  ;)

Prince of Persia is probably too "sequally" too. But of boy there has been a lot of versions and if your are really open minded it still the same guy with a sword running & climbing. Also a bit crazy how many re-releases of the later games there was and not just the usually "platinum"-ish budget but also the odd "trilogy" or similar compilations that you dont see often on hte later consoles.

While i was mind-diving for games i also remembered the Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones & James Bond franchise's. Dosnt count of cause, totally not the same game(s). Indy is probably the oldest one going back to Atari in 82' and is somehow still alive mainly thanks to the Lego games, Pinball and board games. Ghostbusters seem to be unstoppable and has been sliming us up with like 5-6 games just these last couple of years if you count the mobile ones. 007 at least seems to take a break or perhaps im just ignoring it on purpose.

||C|-|E||

Arkanoid could be a good example too... there are not only a ton of ports, but a thousands of clones as well  :)

VincentGR

I was gonna say prince of persia but I saw the mid 80s line.
So, breakout/arkanoid?

SRS

"Adventure" , "Star Trek", "Tic Tac Toe", "Hangman" ... "Pong"

Beat this :D

felow

Resume this threat: Donkey Kong earning points to the podium. Lots of official conversions, the CPC one really a stands out.

Skunkfish

Some of the mid-80s Japanese arcade games since they came to both Western & Japanese computers/consoles. Out Run, Ghosts & Goblins, Strider, Ghouls & Ghosts etc.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)