News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Games that need a CPC version!

Started by EgoTrip, 15:14, 21 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

It might be an idea to do a list of games that could (and should!) be converted to the CPC, incase a developer wants a project and runs out of ideas!

I will start the ball rolling with:

Lode Runner - classic NES game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukUPa_FmoGY

Amidar - theres a post already for this but its worth adding to the list
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amidar&aq=0

Zelda II - my personal favourite Zelda game although a lot dont like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiCgBt-dPo

Super Mario Bros. (3 if possible although it would push the CPC to its limits) - Giana is just not the same! The Mario games have a level of complexity far higher.

Feel free to add to this list, and hopefully in the future we can cross them off and play these classics on the CPC.

MacDeath

Battlechess

I was wondering today if this could be possible.

35 battle scenes... this is a lot of Video Data...
Add to this a (good) Chess engine.

The PC version even had realsound (samples) on PCspeaker.

I think this would need 256K RAM minimum... or frequent multiloads...
Or shitton of compression on a 6128...

sigh

Streetfighter 2.

(The HMC version is more like Streetfighter 1)

I think the best way to do this would to have sprite sizes similar to that of the neogeo pocket. I actually did a test of this sometime ago and managed to get all the Ryu full bodied sprite frames from the neogeo pocket version on 2 16KB sheets Mode1. (However, these were single pixels..)

Nich

Quote from: EgoTrip on 15:14, 21 March 11
It might be an idea to do a list of games that could (and should!) be converted to the CPC, incase a developer wants a project and runs out of ideas!

I will start the ball rolling with:

Lode Runner - classic NES game

An official conversion of Lode Runner already exists for the CPC!

QuoteZelda II - my personal favourite Zelda game although a lot dont like it

I recall a few years ago that Demoniak presented some preview screenshots of what Zelda could potentially look like on the CPC - and they were lovely! 8) The page is here, but the web site is down as I write this.

QuoteSuper Mario Bros. (3 if possible although it would push the CPC to its limits) - Giana is just not the same! The Mario games have a level of complexity far higher.

It would be great to see this on the CPC, but I am sure it will meet the same legal fate as The Great Giana Sisters! :(

Personally, I would love to see Skool Daze and/or Back to Skool converted to the CPC. They were two of my favourite games when I was really small and still owned a Spectrum. (Just to make any potential conversion a bit easier, someone has made the enormous effort of disassembling Skool Daze!)

Optimus

Funny that you like Zelda 2. I don't know the game but I already know that everyone hated this sequel. Although, this is interesting to me, a zelda with heavy storyline like an rpg. I might have a try it on emulator on my GP2X Caanoo :)

Also:

Optimus

Although, I am sorry about this intermission and I will continue without going out of theme because it's interesting.

I used to dream about favorite titles that I'd like to see converted on CPC. Things like Metal Slug, Castlevania or Civilization. I would think of direct remakes, as exact as possible as the original. However my current view about demo/game remakes is here. In a nutshell, I find it more interesting to recreate an original game, only partially inspired by my favorites and not making a complete copy of the original. For example, I love castloid games (like castlevania series but the modern ones in GBA and DS which have a map and many weapons and magic you can wear).
Knight and Grail on the C64 is a brand new game that I have played and is really well done that has the style of castloids, with a big map, unlocking areas, finding new swords and armour, but doing it in it's own way, not copying entirely the original.

But I'd like to continue this talk because of the thought of what is possible on the CPC. Which non-CPC games could be converted and how hard would it be?

sigh

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 player scrolling shootem up like Dodonpachi, Dangun Feveron or Ketsui(my favourite Cave shooter) on the CPC. It would look great with the colour palette and the mode 0 screen would be very good for it.

EgoTrip

I guess this is more of a fantasy thread than anything cos I know most games wont get a remake. The CPC is a very capable machine, and there are some existing games that show off what it really is capable of. Obviously attempting to remake more recent games would be impossible, but remaking 8-bit (and even to a degree 16-bit) classics for the CPC especially from the NES, should be entirely possible especially on the Plus machines. Let's keep this list sensible and realistic.

Zelda 2 really was one of the gems of old skool gaming. It was very tough, it was original, and it had a variety of gameplay. It certainly was not a game anyone could pick up and play with ease, but its like with all things really, such as movies/music etc. If its not easily accessible then the majority of people dont want to know.

As for the legality, no profit is being made (unlike Giana Sisters - its a completely different scenario really) for a game on a hobby machine that hardly anyone uses, Nintendo wont give a damn. Look at all the Mario fan games all over the net, they dont care as long as they are free.

Also, thanks for that link to Lode Runner! I had no idea that existed!

mahlemiut

Quote from: sigh on 00:43, 22 March 11
I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 player scrolling shootem up like Dodonpachi, Dangun Feveron or Ketsui(my favourite Cave shooter) on the CPC. It would look great with the colour palette and the mode 0 screen would be very good for it.
And you aren't spending all the time you aren't sleeping, playing Ketsui in MAME?   :D
(I prefer Espgaluda, anyway)

Generally, I'd think bullet hell type game like that might be difficult to replicate on the CPC, but I often been thinking that something like Raiden might be doable, especially if using Plus features.
- Barry Rodewald

AMSDOS

From the Amstrad User in June 1985:

I'm only dreaming of course, though it would be nice to see "Frak!" on a CPC!  ;)  (Even if it is 25 years late!  :-[ ).

Another game I liked on my Gameboy was Spanky's Quest, which is a kind of cross between Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands kind of thing, it might have been done perhaps though, I'm not sure. Spanky would bounce a ball off their head which the more you archieved the more powerful it would become and you would stun the badies, collect the powerups.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

arnoldemu

Quote from: CP/M User on 11:17, 22 March 11
From the Amstrad User in June 1985:

I'm only dreaming of course, though it would be nice to see "Frak!" on a CPC!  ;)  (Even if it is 25 years late!  :-[ ).

Another game I liked on my Gameboy was Spanky's Quest, which is a kind of cross between Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands kind of thing, it might have been done perhaps though, I'm not sure. Spanky would bounce a ball off their head which the more you archieved the more powerful it would become and you would stun the badies, collect the powerups.
I actually contacted the guy who made Frak and asked if I could make a conversion.
He said he was not interested in that and wouldn't allow it :(

Damn.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Wouldn't allow it? You mean now or back in the day?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:58, 22 March 11
Wouldn't allow it? You mean now or back in the day?
I contacted him a couple of years back.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Then he is a complete, total arse...

Optimus

Since converting a commercial game from scratch in your favorite platform for non commercial reasons would be ok, I find this strange. You are only making a tribute to the original. I wouldn't even ask in your case, because many people are making tributes and remakes of games or even demos (also parodies) and I don't think they had to take permission for this. However this shows that you respect the work of the original author.

Optimus

And to go on with the subject and propose an idea for a CPC conversion of a recent game that is not unrealistic, it is something I have been thinking quite much recently (though I should stop just thinking it and start coding, classic :)

I really loved Knytt Stories on the PC ( http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt+Stories ). It's such a cute platform/exploration game with minimalism and ambient sounds. It's simple but dreamy. I like this minimalism of the colors, the dark/bright contrasts, the sounds. I was thinking how something similar (still not a faithful conversion to the original but just a game with similar style and inspiration) would be done on CPC. I was thinking of a similar wide screen, overscan on X and smaller height on Y with very small sprites as the original. And then because of the small sprites and no scrolling, maybe there is time for using many raster colous in Mode 1. In their screens, there is usually one background layer that is raster sky colours, then another that is usually another single colour (black mountains or structures, contrasting with the foreground, could be also having their own darker raster colours) and then the foreground tiles and characters. Might still be tricky to use the two colours for the backgrounds and only have two additionals for the sprite and the foreground. So, this is something I am thinking about trying to code. My only curiosity is. Can similar sounds be produced on the CPC that give the same ambience and dreamy feeling as the original? They don't have to be high quality as the PC, they can be just CPC sounds but made in an appropriate way to sound a bit dreamy. Also, I notice there is a second digital ambient noise on the PC that adds to the music (which can be leafs sound, water sound, wind, etc) that adds to the ambience. Maybe this is too much. I am not a musician so I don't know..

AMSDOS

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:33, 22 March 11
I actually contacted the guy who made Frak and asked if I could make a conversion.

Damn.

Crikey if they wanna be like that I'll just play Cavemania instead!  ;D

Their loss cause they won't get the credit and only be remembered for the blocky C64 version!  :laugh:  Anyone should be able to get a BBC emulator and check it out!  ;)

The downside to all that, is all those Nintendo games would be subjected to a simular condition, perhaps Roland could star in his own Mario style games!  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Axelay

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:33, 22 March 11

Damn.

Didn't you say you had the same problem with Repton?  Maybe it's a BBC thing?  ;)

arnoldemu

Quote from: Axelay on 11:47, 23 March 11

Didn't you say you had the same problem with Repton?  Maybe it's a BBC thing?  ;)
Well yes, both are great BBC games, but from different authors and publishers.

The first computer we had was for the whole family and was a BBC Micro B. So I enjoyed many games from this platform, and I would really love to convert many of these for the CPC (Repton, Frak, Zalaga, Imogen are a few I really enjoyed).

Amstrad was the second computer, but the first that was only for me, and for which i worked hard to pay for ( I lost count of the number of times I washed the car or mowed the lawn).

So I hoped to do a conversion with permission, but so far nobody has agreed :(

I'd love to do one of Imogen, but I don't want to ask for permission and be declined.

My games. My Games

EgoTrip

You could make your own games, using similar mechanics, just use different graphics and music.

Gryzor

Quote from: CP/M User on 09:17, 23 March 11

perhaps Roland could star in his own Mario style games!  ;D

This is actually a great idea - a new game with a stylized Roland character...

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:31, 23 March 11
The first computer we had was for the whole family and was a BBC Micro B. So I enjoyed many games from this platform, and I would really love to convert many of these for the CPC (Repton, Frak, Zalaga, Imogen are a few I really enjoyed).

I'd love to see Boffin.  Not such a classic[nb]But I loved it![/nb], but only ever released on the BBC and it would suit MODE 1 well.

awergh

QuoteThis is actually a great idea - a new game with a stylized Roland character...
You could make Roland's Revenge, apparently it was supposed to be the sequel to Roland in Space, that's what one of the comments for this video says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGE6ImL-xI

belzebu

Absolutely Street Fighter II, the commodore 64, and spectrum 128, have recived a conversion of this game... The spectrum version is realy good ...

Bye all

Belzy

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

einoeL

I'd like to see "Aliens - the arcade game" as a CPC-Version.
This is the original arcade game:

I'm sure that the intensive CPC Colour Palette would do a great job.
This would be a great game for the CPC!