Football Fever (aka - Games with smooth "1" pixel multi directional scrolling.)

Started by sigh, 14:48, 23 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: TMR on 11:36, 20 May 12
So... this 'ere footy game, is it too early to be mentioned in RG's What's Brewing news items or what? =-)
I would say yes it is too early. At the moment we've got some great graphics and some mockup screensno code as of yet.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TMR

Quote from: Xyphoe on 08:10, 21 May 12
Gosh, I have no idea where you worked then!!!

For one of three indie computer shops in the south east of England, but occasionally i'd chat with suppliers or reps and what we were selling locally wasn't far away from what they were shifting at a national level. The same was true when i got chatting to shop staff whilst visiting friends in Edinburgh, Fife, Liverpool, London, Manchester...

Quote from: Xyphoe on 08:10, 21 May 12
The stores I went to in the late 80's all had 2 firebutton + joysticks in. I don't think I've ever saw one for sale and indeed only owned one with only 1 fire button apart from a hand-me-down Konix Speedking. Hell, even the crappy JY1 packaged with the CPC in 1984 had two fire buttons!

Still working from the late 1980s to early 1990s i've got around twelve Zipstiks, a couple of Competition Pros, (i think) three Cruisers, five or six Quickshot 2s, two Python 1Ms and a Maverick 1 - only the latter two have two independent buttons and it's for the Master System so presumably won't work like the pads apparently don't.

Gryzor

I had stopped following this thread for a while and I just revisited it; the screenshots are gone... anyone can reup them?

sigh

???Thats weird!!!

I'll upload them again as I have a feeling that the imagehoster may of had some sort of time limit. I did try using some others but they didn't play the animation; they only showed the first frame.

Anybody know a reliable image hoster that is gif animation friendly?

McKlain

Maybe picasa from google? I have uploaded animated gifs to google plus succesfully.

Gryzor

Imgur.com or min.us are my preferred ones. Or, how about just attaching them to the forum? :D

arnoldemu

btw, I am still working on some more scroll examples this time with a tilemap and real tile gfx. These have been done by sigh.
I took a detour to confirm the scrolling on type 2.
I am also implementing a graphics viewer in my new arnold codebase.

Yes the old windows version had one too, but it seems it was well hidden!!!! (it's on the menu on the debugger, yes the old arnold also had a debugger!)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

sigh

I was really surprised how long that background took me to stitch back together again!!! At least I now know how much easier the football pitch will be.

Gryzor

sigh

Screenshots are now back up on page 5. (Sorry for the delay.)

I'll be starting the title screen at some point for Nationwide Soccer (unless someone can think of a better name. I'm trying to avoid using the word "football" so not to be confused with the American sport.)

What I would like to know, is what options would people like to see on the menu screen? Would user like to be able to access the skill, speed levels per players?
Would you like to be able to create a football league table starting from the Premier right down to the Vauxhall Conference(does this still exist?), World Cup, Euro Cup, Fa Cup, Scottish National, African Nations Cup etc? What about leagues from other countries like the Italian Series A or the Japan J league?
(I've only taken a quick look at the different leagues around the world.)

Would you like co-op? Would you like to have the option of having direct control over the goalkeeper? Or would you just like to be able to play as the ref?
What would be your ideal "must haves" apart from the usual 1 - 2 player options and redefining keys for 1 or 2 button joysticks.

Carnivius

Quote from: sigh on 22:33, 17 May 12

I don't even like 'professional' football but these look fantastic.  The animation on those sprites is so fluid and realistic you almost forget they're Mode 0 'wide-pixels'
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Ace

Quote from: sigh on 12:42, 24 June 12
What I would like to know, is what options would people like to see on the menu screen? Would user like to be able to access the skill, speed levels per players?
Would you like to be able to create a football league table starting from the Premier right down to the Vauxhall Conference(does this still exist?), World Cup, Euro Cup, Fa Cup, Scottish National, African Nations Cup etc? What about leagues from other countries like the Italian Series A or the Japan J league?
(I've only taken a quick look at the different leagues around the world.)

Would you like co-op? Would you like to have the option of having direct control over the goalkeeper? Or would you just like to be able to play as the ref?
All of the above, would be nice, please! Not that we are greedy or so... He he he!

The option to play as ref though... I tend to believe that this, will be the world's first football game, to have such an option!
Go for It!

Carnivius

Quote from: sigh on 12:42, 24 June 12
I'll be starting the title screen at some point for Nationwide Soccer (unless someone can think of a better name. I'm trying to avoid using the word "football" so not to be confused with the American sport.)

I don't know if 'Nationwide Soccer' sounds like a 'must have' game from the title.  I think it lacks something.  Also I would think a computer game being based around a sport incredibly popular in Britain being developed for an old computer that is also British should really use the British word for the sport.  The first part 'Nationwide' sounds British enough but for some reason makes me think of a wet, rainy, saturday afternoon (which I suppose is in itself very British) but it doesn't jump out as sounding like a fun game.
I used to have International Superstar Soccer (the predecessor to the modern Pro Evo series) on the SNES and I remember thinking at the time if it was just called 'International Soccer' it would sound somewhat mundane and not seem a big deal when you see the name in shops, but the word 'Superstar' in there seemed to give it more of a hook.  There's plenty of football related words you can use in a title like Premier, Champion(ship), League (and loads of others I expect, like I said I'm not a football fan so an actual fan probably knows more words), just a matter of choosing one that hasn't been done I suppose. 

Anyways it's up to you.  Your game.  I love those sprites either way.  I hope some of this post made sense.  Somehow flicking through five tabs writing different replies at same time on various websites.   :o
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

sigh

Quote from: Carnivac on 18:17, 24 June 12
I don't know if 'Nationwide Soccer' sounds like a 'must have' game from the title.  I think it lacks something.  Also I would think a computer game being based around a sport incredibly popular in Britain being developed for an old computer that is also British should really use the British word for the sport.  The first part 'Nationwide' sounds British enough but for some reason makes me think of a wet, rainy, saturday afternoon (which I suppose is in itself very British) but it doesn't jump out as sounding like a fun game.

Yeah - it does sound a bit dry! :D

Nationwide Soccer is now "Super Hotshot Soccer" for the time being until something better comes up.

steve

Call it "Intergalactic Soccer" and you could have aliens in the teams, these could have special abilities like camouflage so they are invisible on the grass  :laugh: .

McKlain

I wonder, why use the word "soccer" in europe? We all know what football is, a sport that you play with your feet and a ball. No hands.  ;D

sigh

Quote from: steve on 21:35, 24 June 12
Call it "Intergalactic Soccer" and you could have aliens in the teams, these could have special abilities like camouflage so they are invisible on the grass  :laugh: .

:D ...as the ball floats away into space.

Quote from: McKlain on 21:47, 24 June 12
I wonder, why use the word "soccer" in europe? We all know what football is, a sport that you play with your feet and a ball. No hands.  ;D

I've never cared for the "Soccer vs Football" naming debate; however - if any of you guys can come out with any cool names involving the word football, then post them.

(I actually think that "Super Hotshot Soccer" sounds quite cool.... ;D )

Bryce

emuola

How about Kick *ss Soccer (referring to Kick Off series) *sorry could not resist* :)
Amstrad CPC 6128+ and internal HxC floppy emulator

Puresox

'Sliding tackle'
'The Beautiful Game'
'4-4-2'
'Jumper's for Goal Posts! ( Dream Soccer )'
:D

villain

From the german point of view a football game from England should be named "Kick and Rush". Right, Mr Beckenbauer? :D And the most important thing would be penalties. ;-)

To be honest: I really like this project and I am already thinking about useful suggestions.

Carnivius

Would love an option for mode where football is actually grenade like in the Bulldog Blighty Sensible Soccer (with Cannon Fodder sprites) that was on an old Amiga magazine cover disk.  Real football would be more exciting if the 'ball' occasionally flashed and then exploded, taking out any nearby players or goalkeepers like in that demo.  Then those crazy fans really would have an excuse for those World War comparisons they seem to bring up especially when it's England vs Germany...

Gryzor

Carnivac's got a point there, it'd be nice to do that. Maybe not even random, but every x seconds that you got the ball in your possession.

As for the title, I'm glad to see some of the suggestions having a retro touch in them. I'd go for something like that.

Two of the pics are already down - can someone upload them here as attachments instead of a stupid image hoster?