Football Fever (aka - Games with smooth "1" pixel multi directional scrolling.)

Started by sigh, 14:48, 23 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:52, 26 June 12
Two of the pics are already down - can someone upload them here as attachments instead of a stupid image hoster?

:( Attachments can't be viewed by guests and I prefer lurking here rather than logging in if I have nothing to say.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Quote from: Carnivac on 12:05, 26 June 12
:( Attachments can't be viewed by guests and I prefer lurking here rather than logging in if I have nothing to say.

Just for you, I enabled attachments for guests. To be fair though, it makes much more sense for guests to not be able to access attachments than *everyone* not being able to see them :D

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:10, 26 June 12
Just for you, I enabled attachments for guests. To be fair though, it makes much more sense for guests to not be able to access attachments than *everyone* not being able to see them :D

Thanks.  There's been many occasions I've been looking for a file or image and found it on a forum I bloody had to sign up to just to get that file.  I hate signing up to sites I have no real intention of staying on.  I still get 'birthday' and 'christmas' emails from some forums I joined up 10 years ago just to get some file or whatever and even though I'm fairly sure I deleted my profile where possible I still seem to get the emails.   I do prefer lurking and being able to see an image without having to log in is likely to get me logged in anyways to comment whereas often if I can't see what's there I lost interest and wander off.  I can understand why some attachments perhaps need to be restricted to members only in some cases though.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

The problem is, images are handled as attachments, so it's all or nothing. But yes, I think that, although contrary to what one may think, it makes no sense withholding attachments; there's no way someone will start participating just because they signed up for that one file.

I've got to check the Downloads system though, wouldn't want that being leeched by guests.

Now, can someone up the piccies here? :)

sigh

The pics seem to be working apart from the boxed error message. I'll try to upload the pics using the cpcwiki website tools again, but I didn't have much luck for some reason.

Quote from: Carnivac on 22:01, 25 June 12
Would love an option for mode where football is actually grenade like in the Bulldog Blighty Sensible Soccer (with Cannon Fodder sprites) that was on an old Amiga magazine cover disk.  Real football would be more exciting if the 'ball' occasionally flashed and then exploded, taking out any nearby players or goalkeepers like in that demo.  Then those crazy fans really would have an excuse for those World War comparisons they seem to bring up especially when it's England vs Germany...

The exploding footballs is a bit too quirky for this type of game. (funny though!)

Gryzor

Quote from: sigh on 09:49, 27 June 12
The pics seem to be working apart from the boxed error message. I'll try to upload the pics using the cpcwiki website tools again, but I didn't have much luck for some reason.

The exploding footballs is a bit too quirky for this type of game. (funny though!)

No need to go to the wiki, just attach them here. Otherwise just send me an email (gmail, krakout) and I'll do it :)

sigh

So far we have.....

footie fever
Slide n Tackle
4-4-2
Super Hotshot Soccer
Soccer Hotshots
The Beautiful Game(.biz)
Kick and Rush
Kickass Soccer

Champions Premier-League Challenge (CPC) - might not work as the game may support different nations.

Any other names?

Also any decisions on the questions below?

Quote from: sigh on 12:42, 24 June 12
What I would like to know, is what options would people like to see on the menu screen? Would user like to be able to access the skill, speed levels per players?
Would you like to be able to create a football league table starting from the Premier right down to the Vauxhall Conference(does this still exist?), World Cup, Euro Cup, Fa Cup, Scottish National, African Nations Cup etc? What about leagues from other countries like the Italian Series A or the Japan J league?
(I've only taken a quick look at the different leagues around the world.)

Would you like co-op? Would you like to have the option of having direct control over the goalkeeper? Or would you just like to be able to play as the ref?
What would be your ideal "must haves" apart from the usual 1 - 2 player options and redefining keys for 1 or 2 button joysticks.

I'm looking to wrap up the splash/options screen "soon-ish" as these are the only graphics left that I need to do, to have the the visuals 100% complete.

Also - arnoldemu is kindly helping out setting the screen and scrolling, but not the main AI of the game itself. Are there any AI programmers out there who want to help out with bits and pieces? Please be aware that I'm not expecting any programmer to take on the whole project by themselves (we all have our own individual projects that we want to get done in our lives!) but if anyone wants to chip in bits and pieces of data, donate a bit code here and there, or spend an hour or 2 investigating some crazy AI  logic, then please do.

Gryzor

beaker

sigh

Quote from: ivarf on 15:26, 02 July 12
Yeah Sugar Soccer!

Alan Sugars Footballers Apprentice! Seriously though - definitetly will not be having anything "sugar" name related!

Quote from: SyX on 16:50, 02 July 12
Road to Brazil 2014!!! ;)

It's a little too specific in case the game may offer other football cups such as the Euro etc....

Quote from: beaker on 19:01, 02 July 12
Commodore Players Championship? Joking  ;)

:D

ivarf

Quote from: Carnivac on 16:02, 02 July 12

sorry..off topic.  Put most of my post in a spoiler tag to 'hide' it so it don't stand out.
Sounds great! Would love to see the end result if you teamed up with him and created new classics in tradition of Nick Bruty and David Perry, John Ritman and Bernie Drummond or Mr Amstrad (John Brandwood) with Mark Jones Senior.

Carnivius

Quote from: ivarf on 21:13, 02 July 12
Sounds great! Would love to see the end result if you teamed up with him and created new classics in tradition of Nick Bruty and David Perry, John Ritman and Bernie Drummond or Mr Amstrad (John Brandwood) with Mark Jones Senior.

Would be cool but Axelay's very busy with other projects at present.  I very much appreciate him taking the time to answer my PM's about what I can and can't do on the CPC and questions about memory conservation and how other games may have achieved certain things.  :)

sigh

Okay:

Super Hotshot Soccer: The beautiful game! (digitized speech when title appears?)

Selection Screen:

Create Tournament:
Quick Match
Design Tournament Table*

1 Player

2 Player
Vs
Co-op

Options:
Single Button Controller
2 Button Controller
Redefine Keys
Goal Keeper Control On/Off

* When designing tournament table, the player will type the name of the tournament, countries (or teams) and players. This will give the player free range to create any tournament style they want.

Gryzor

Sounds nice to me, though I'd think that "hotshot" has negative connotations?

About the menu, I'd add a middle option - quick tournament. Just have something already set up, like the Premier League or the Champions League?

Also, a database with appropriate (and maybe funny) names would be nice, so that if I chose to setup a Greek championship, for instance, I wouldn't have to type all the player names in but have the program auto-suggest them, like "papapapadopoulos" and the likes :D

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:23, 05 July 12

Does it?  In what way?

Gryzor

My bad; it's just that I've mostly seen it used in an ironic way...

beaker

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:54, 05 July 12
My bad; it's just that I've mostly seen it used in an ironic way...

As in the Charlie Sheen movies?  ;D

sigh

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:23, 05 July 12

About the menu, I'd add a middle option - quick tournament. Just have something already set up, like the Premier League or the Champions League?

Also, a database with appropriate (and maybe funny) names would be nice, so that if I chose to setup a Greek championship, for instance, I wouldn't have to type all the player names in but have the program auto-suggest them, like "papapapadopoulos" and the likes :D

Quick tournament - I was thinking that on the "Design Tournament Table" it would already come with a default table that already has a list of teams and player names. This of course you would be able to edit in order to design your own tournament, or you could just use the default league/cup and start a game straight away. We could always have 2 defaults - League Match and Cup Match which would cover all bases.

I forgot to mention that there will also be 4 types of pitch colours to play on. These should be chosen on the quick match.

Carnivius

sigh

Quote from: Carnivac on 00:08, 06 July 12
When do we get to sample it?

Sample's for the title screen will be worked on gradually as I have to reorganize some of the animations for the beat em up game over the weekend.

If your talking about samples for the football gameplay itself; nothing until an AI programmmer decided to take it on.

villain

Would a 4-player mode be possible? Two on the keys and two with joystick. Could be funny on parties.

sigh

Quote from: villain on 20:05, 06 July 12
Would a 4-player mode be possible? Two on the keys and two with joystick. Could be funny on parties.

I think there would be serious problems in a 4 player match, as the cpc joystick/keyboard controls often end up interfering with the other players.

Gryzor

*Is* there a game supporting simultaneous 4-player play on the CPC?