News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

creating maps for games which were never mapped

Started by jaymanu, 13:05, 26 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

jaymanu

Hello all
Can you think of any game for which no map was ever drawn so far, and which would deserve it ?

Lazy Dude

Could depend on what you mean by "drawn"
I still like to use some of the hand drawn maps that appear in the old magazines. It's a skill as well as being practical.Screen capture maps seem to be the way it rolls these days though.

jaymanu

What I have in mind is extracting maps directly from the game data.
Studying how it is stored and then writing modern code to generate a bitmap.

But paper & pens have their charm too !

mr_lou

I would like to see a complete map of Radzone.

I've often thought it would be cool to print out this map and hang it on the wall.  :)

MiguelSky

Let me reming you (and those who didn't know about that) that JavaCPC includes a GameMapper function! It could be very useful here ;)

jaymanu

Quote from: MiguelSky on 09:47, 27 September 19
Let me reming you (and those who didn't know about that) that JavaCPC includes a GameMapper function! It could be very useful here ;)
Really ?
Now that's interesting ! Could you tell us more about this mapper ? How to use it ?
For example, could it be used with that game : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/black-magic-from-datasoft-new-trainer/ ? How easily ?

MiguelSky

By taking screenshots of every screen that you place around the previous one. It's very intuitive, try it!

jaymanu

Quote from: MiguelSky on 10:48, 27 September 19
By taking screenshots of every screen that you place around the previous one. It's very intuitive, try it!

I had a  look at http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/emulators/javacpc-desktop-1-0-official-release/msg66346/#msg66346

It seems to have 2 possible approaches : screenshot-based as you said, and data-based.

I think that taking screenshots is not the most convenient because you need to walk everywhere.
Data based approach is more interesting because its more automated, and allows to see hidden parts if any.

It should work with my game - which has tile graphics at &6d00 and tile map at &4000
Only I didn't know about this javaCPC tool, and had to develop my own code... 

For Radzone, which displays one screen at a time instead of scrolling, the screenshot approach could be useful.

Lazy Dude

Hidden parts like in werewolves of london where you can only acess a certain street via the sewers.I havn't seen a bit map of that game yet.

jaymanu

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 11:10, 27 September 19
Hidden parts like in werewolves of london where you can only acess a certain street via the sewers.I havn't seen a bit map of that game yet.

Quote from: mr_lou on 03:51, 27 September 19
I would like to see a complete map of Radzone.
[size=78%]I've often thought it would be cool to print out this map and hang it on the wall. [/size]

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:12, 26 September 19
Well back then I didn't have a cheat and the map was created only recently by our good friend Border7, and still unfinished, so I don't hold any hope...

Did you try javacpc gamemapper with radzone/into oblivion/werewolves ?
At least with first level (or planet)
Would be a good start if we could identify memory address of tiles. And then memory address of tilemap.

Lazy Dude

I only play games on original hardware. Can't stand retro gaming on modern platforms, so no java for me.I downloaded a hand drawn map from some obscure website by some Japanese person many years ago for werewolves!
I do however like to use a tablet pc alongside my trusty cpc as a support device , so for instructions maps & sometimes a video run through if I get really stuck.

GUNHED

JavaCPC has a great feature for the creation of game maps.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Lazy Dude

I might investigate this to replace my operation gunship map that I got from world of spectrum  ;D

jaymanu

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 11:10, 27 September 19
with werewolves and java cpc mapper :
set tiles address 21e8, mode 0, width 4 height 16 zoom 1
select the tiles with left click on first and right click on last
set map address 0480 width 192 height 46
it looks like something.. but still ugly

jaymanu

Hello
Here is a rendering of all Werewolves rooms
Not exactly a 'mapping' because it lacks relationship between rooms. But good maps can be found on the net. Feel free to apply those bitmaps on existing maps if you wish

This rendering could not be done directly with javaCPC gamemapper, because some of the tiles are calculated instead of being stored in memory (ie, plain colours, or rotation/symmetry from existing tiles).

Sadly, it doesn't seem to exhibit any 'secret' unknown place.