News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Ghosts'n Goblins GX4000 is out !

Started by Xifos, 20:17, 20 May 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Targhan

QuoteOutstanding job.Maybe the best GnG in 8 bit.Both Xifos and Targhan win summer vacation in Greece for you and your families.Message me to collect.

Thanks! An interesting prize, watch out, we may knock at your door next year :) .
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

amijim

My offer is valid for any year as a tribute and sincere thank you to your work which is excellent .I am sending you a pm.

Xyphoe

Fantastic!! I've played it all the way through to the end... THANK YOU XIFOS (and Targhan) for all your hard work, and for listening to and implementing feedback - it is hugely appreciated!!!
I've put it on the GX4000 website for you - http://gx4000.co.uk/main/ghostsn-goblins-receives-a-spectacular-remake-for-the-amstrad-gx4000/

Also as a thank you, I've made you some box art for the release .... (sorry for the large size here!)

Direct URL to download/save it - http://gx4000.co.uk/main/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/GhostsNGoblinsGX4000_BoxArt.png

Xyphoe

Also also! I'm gonna live stream this and try and beat it tomorrow evening (Friday 1st June) live on my YouTube channel - https://gaming.youtube.com/c/Xyphoe/live
If anyone wants to tune in, then this will be at 9pm (BST - UK time).

Widukind

CraigsBar

Is anyone planning a physical release for this? I'd love to have an 'real' cart.

Since the c4cpc has proven we don't need no acid chips anymore is there any chance of a physical release in a box with artwork and a 3d printed card shell?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

norecess464

Hello,
Just few words to congratulate Xifos and Targhan on this... I started to play it for real (..yeah a bit late, I know..) and I have to say it's really awesome so far !

Thank you !
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

ukmarkh

Quote from: norecess on 00:27, 22 July 18
Hello,
Just few words to congratulate Xifos and Targhan on this... I started to play it for real (..yeah a bit late, I know..) and I have to say it's really awesome so far !

Thank you !

Best GX4000 game without question, and I don't think anything betters it of its type on the CPC, until these guys do Green Beret [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinnery

I agree, @xifos and @Targhan have really created a bit of a monster! Probably the only game that pushes the GX beyond most of the official games.

Ok, this is where I am going to be a bit silly. For those who cannot play this game as nature intended on true Amstrad hardware, I have 5 cartridges I have knocked up. These work without the Acid chip on unmodified Amstrad GX4000s and Plus machines (thanks to @The Equalizor for pointing (or rather pushing!) me in the right direction and @Nilquader  for the initial schematic).

All I ask is the price of postage (£1 in the uk). Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Sorry, there are no plastic cases.

** There are all now allocated **

Targhan

Sorry if my question is dumb, but does this thing allow you to play G'n'G on a CPC old but just plugging it to the extension port??
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Chinnery

Quote from: Targhan on 17:30, 22 July 18
Sorry if my question is dumb, but does this thing allow you to play G'n'G on a CPC old but just plugging it to the extension port??
There is no such thing as a dumb question :)
No, this is essentially a "Naked" CPC+ Cartridge. It plugs into the side of a 464/6128+, or the top of a GX4000, just like any other game.

Targhan

Oh, my bad, I read "ASIC inside" instead of "ACID inside", so I thought the ASIC chip was built-in in the cartridge and allowed a CPC old to use it. Actually, not a bad idea, but I have not idea if it is feasible or not :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Sykobee (Briggsy)

£1! I guess they're all gone by now then :(

How does that work without ACID? Not just a simple ROM chip?

zeropolis79

Quote from: Targhan on 17:30, 22 July 18
If you don't understand or misinterprete something, there is no harm in asking as you never know unless you ask.

asertus

It is funny nowadays it is easier to build new cartridges than having 3" disks....

reidrac

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 14:41, 23 July 18
£1! I guess they're all gone by now then :(

How does that work without ACID? Not just a simple ROM chip?

Yes, I was wondering the same. I thought the plus cartridges had protection.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

gerald

Quote from: reidrac on 15:42, 24 July 18
Yes, I was wondering the same. I thought the plus cartridges had protection.
There is one, the ACID chip.
Here the protection is bypassed using a timing hack.
The ASIC is supposed to reset the ACID when serial sequence is not matching the expected one.
I looks like the reset signal goes faster out than reseting the internal sequence so by using a fast enough logic, you can present the ASIC with the wanted serial sequence just by looking at the reset one.

However, it may not work on all CPC as it's the result of setup/hold abuse and these vary with temperature, voltage and manufacturing process.

Kris

Quote from: asertus on 15:10, 24 July 18
It is funny nowadays it is easier to build new cartridges than having 3" disks....

We just miss an "empty cartridge" 3D file to print ;)
It should be easy to draw starting from the C4CPC case.

Kris

This one is for the C4CPC, I was talking about an original cartridge (without holes for the dip switches, LEDs....)

asertus

Hi,

I have just received the cartridge by @Chinnery , amazing game by @Xifos and @Targhan really looking great even in Flat TVs... Thanks for that great effort.

And I want also thank and cogratulate @Chinnery for the hardware. I suggest all of you contact with someone, like PolyPlay or similar to sell this game, (although this one may have some license issue, I dont know), also other Amstrad games Polyplay has in their catalog in cartridge format. Plus/GX4000 users will be really pleased, I guess.

Now we could order some 3d printed boxes for the cartridge ;)

Great job.

Xifos

It's great that people can enjoy ghosts'n goblins on real gx4000 or plus machines.
But, as you said, mainly because of license (but not just for that), i want this game to be totally free and must not be sold.If you pay, it's only for the cost of the cartridge itself.

AxelStone

Impressive work, I really like it! Do you think you can have legal troubles if selling physical copies?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Xifos on 08:51, 01 August 18
It's great that people can enjoy ghosts'n goblins on real gx4000 or plus machines.
But, as you said, mainly because of license (but not just for that), i want this game to be totally free and must not be sold.If you pay, it's only for the cost of the cartridge itself.

Best without question on the Plus or GX4000, well done! When can we expect an arcade perfect conversion of Green Beret? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk