News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Head Over Heels

Started by Neil79, 21:08, 24 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

Score! One of the greatest games ever on the Amstrad has been won by me :D Wacked in a tenner, boom! I'm seriously over the moon right now :D

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

robcfg

Congrats! Truly a great game!

zeropolis79

Neil, the sod that he is outbid me on it at the last minute!

(Only having a joke mate, I know I can't win all the good auctions)

Neil79

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 09:27, 25 June 15
Neil, the sod that he is outbid me on it at the last minute!

(Only having a joke mate, I know I can't win all the good auctions)

It's all good mate! :D
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CraigsBar

I now I am in the minority here, but I never really got head over heals. Isometrics weren't my thing either which might explain it I s'pose.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

seanb

I always wanted to get into isometric games on the amstrad as I really liked the look of them but struggled slightly with the controls.

Mostly because I never owned any games and had only brief experiences with them on other peoples machines.

By the time I got to the megadrive I played Landstalker which I loved.

Looking to fire up head over heels and batman again but the walkthroughs on YouTube are around an hour.

God knows how long that means having to learn the games as we know old games take a lot of time to learn.

But sod it. Let's give it a go
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

zeropolis79

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:53, 25 June 15
I now I am in the minority here, but I never really got head over heals. Isometrics weren't my thing either which might explain it I s'pose.

Each to their own..

Despite being a Speccy fan after the CPC, I amaze the Speccy users by admitting I don't like Ultimate games, the opinion of which is normally considered hearsay.

Puresox

I did find Knightlore mind blowing when I first saw it on a speccy back in about 84 , certainly before I had my Amstrad Xmas 84. It really buzzed my imagination . Saying that though , I really lost interest with the whole Isometric thing, when it became like First Person shooters these days.
I do find the odd Isometric that peeks my interest when they have a different perspective on the genre. 'Triaxo's' for example surprised me and prob is my fav .
Thats my two cents any how.

EgoTrip

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 17:33, 26 June 15
Each to their own..

Despite being a Speccy fan after the CPC, I amaze the Speccy users by admitting I don't like Ultimate games, the opinion of which is normally considered hearsay.

I loved Knight Lore, Alien 8 was good, but the rest of the Ultimate games on the CPC I never got into. They were good games but they were very samey. I never liked Saber Wulf much either.

The best Isometric game on the CPC, or any system for that matter, is easily Spindizzy.

CraigsBar

Spindizzy..  I don't class that as an isometric game. It fast paced and fun. Nothing like the adventure-esque typical isometric game in my mind. Yes spindizzy is awesome.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ervin

Absolutely my fave CPC game of all time - I *loved* Head Over Heels back in the day.
Played it solid for 1-and-a-half months and beat it without cheats or a map.
I played through it again a couple of years ago and loved every minute.
8)

Sweevo's World is another isometric masterpiece in my opinion, though the random movement of the geese can make some screens frustrating!

Neil79

To tell you the truth I was not a huge fan, I blame Dizzy however I've been wanting it in my collection for many years as it's a part of the Amstrad history :)

dcdrac

I always loved the music when you started the game or restarted after dying

EgoTrip

Quote from: dcdrac on 15:46, 28 June 15
I always loved the music when you started the game or restarted after dying

The tune it plays each time you enter a room is extremely irritating after a while though.

Puresox

Alway's loved the graphic style of Head over Heals and Batman, the colours look vibrant and appealing. I did not however enjoy Sweevo's World , the graphics were yuck. And I did not enjoy the puzzles on it, I expect if you were a great fan of Iso games then it probably would tick the box. Thinking about it I think my favourite was Get Dexter. Was a great(demo) freebee with AA music was kicking and had loads of neat gameplay touches.

Neil79

Well the game works, so yay  ;D

zeropolis79

Give you £15 for it, lol

Apollo

Ahhh the memories, but I didn't had HoH but Knightlore and Alien8 which both I loved and I even managed to play Knightlore through. Sadly Alien8 was just too damn hard...

Spindizzy is one of my favorite and unbeatable games but impossible to play without a cheat in my opinion. I remember playing it with two friends and unlimted lifes for 8h straight and we just finished 20% of the game.

Get Dexter was awesome and managed to get in the last room and died there  :-\
I was so frustrated that I never ever started it again...
CPC - My beloved first computer!

pelrun

I have a friend who can play Spindizzy through to completion without cheating; he's a bit of an odd duck though :) You pretty much have to know the solution to all the puzzles, the correct order to do the puzzles in, and be good enough at controlling GERALD so you can get around quickly without crashing. I simply don't have the persistence to do that, as much as I love the game.

McKlain

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:33, 28 June 15
The tune it plays each time you enter a room is extremely irritating after a while though.

Did you notice that the tune on the first world is the beggining of "greensleeves"?

Neil79

zeropolis79

I never said £150, lol!

Apollo

Quote from: pelrun on 02:55, 30 June 15
I have a friend who can play Spindizzy through to completion without cheating; he's a bit of an odd duck though :) You pretty much have to know the solution to all the puzzles, the correct order to do the puzzles in, and be good enough at controlling GERALD so you can get around quickly without crashing. I simply don't have the persistence to do that, as much as I love the game.

That sounds really crazy to me  :laugh: I cannot imagine to be THAT good in that game EVER!

But well, a friend of mine was playing DOOM1 in Nightmare from start to finish with just his fist as weapon.... talk about crazy....  :blank:
CPC - My beloved first computer!