News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Helicopter Sims

Started by ComSoft6128, 09:37, 16 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Anybody planning a video on Tomahawk by Digital Integration vs Gunship by MicroProse?

Cheers,

Peter

GUNHED

Ha! Can't beat Gunship!  8)

btw: I pay you 100 bucks for the German version.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Lazy Dude

I'm blaming the start of this thread for getting me interested in Gunship.
So I just picked up a pukker disc box set on ebay for £13.
Now to quickly flip through the instructions!

tjohnson

Loved both of these games back in the day, gunship was a more advanced and challenging game from what i remember.  TOMAHAWK i played to death think i got it on cassette and had the lenslok system.   IMaybe time for me to fire up a copy and play it again.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bryce

I preferred Tomahawk. I had (and still have) the tape version with Lenslok. That was the only disadvantage of the game, trying and failing the Lenslok test! Btw: just in case anyone picks up a Lenslok game anytime: The Lenslok only works up to 14in screens, any bigger and you won't be able to align the "H" to read the code.

Bryce.

ComSoft6128

Hi Bryce,

Amstrad Action No. 8 (May 86) reviewed Tomahawk on pages 60 and 61.

Cheers,

Peter

ComSoft6128

And this letter from the August 86 issue of AA, looks like another Tomahawk owner had the same problem you described:

Lenslok problem.

"I must write to inform you and your readers of a problem I encountered after buying the helicopter flight simulator Tomahawk. Due, presumably, to copyright laws being frequently ignored, Digital Integration have introduced a security system - Lenslok to prevent illegal copying. This consists of a rectangular piece of plastic with a transparent window in the centre. The idea being that after the cassette has loaded the letter 'H' appears on the screen. You then place the outstretched lens (It folds: to use later in code-cracking) on the screen and alter the size of the 'H' (using designated keys) to that of the Lenslok lens. When this has been achieved you can then proceed to crack the code. However, as I found to my annoyance, if you are like me and use a large colour television with a modulator and not a smaller screened colour monitor, the letter 'H' on the TV screen is much larger than that of the lens, even at the smallest obtainable size. Hence my inability to crack the rest of the code, if you see what I mean? I can only imagine therefore that Digital Integration either didn't foresee such a problem, or that there's some way unbeknown to me of loading the game without the problem described. If so, I'd be glad to hear from you. Otherwise please inform your readers of this absurdity."

AA Reply:

Though effective, the Lenslok security system is not ideal as you have discovered. But if there were less pirates about Digital Integration would not have had to go to such lengths.