ComSoft612... 63
cpc4eva 55
Xyphoe 53
Converted GX40... - 264049 Views remax 00:14, 05 May 15
R-Type - 96264 Views Keith A Go... 05:08, 25 February 10
Converting a g... - 78148 Views FRAGKI-201... 01:30, 28 March 13
Quick question... - 70321 Views sigh 18:17, 07 December 10
Bubble Bobble ... - 66657 Views Xyphoe 07:54, 05 January 11

Author Topic: Help needed for a ThenewzealandStory remake on Amstrad CPC+ project on Twitter  (Read 1152 times)

Offline genesis8

• CPC6128
    • Genesis8 Amstrad Page
  • Liked: 47
https://twitter.com/BenYoris is asking for help for a The New Zealand Story remake on Amstrad CPC+, a musician and a coder.

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay
  • Liked: 308
I would make sure it also works on stock CPC, otherwise you won’t get anywhere near the audience, as the Plus passed a lot of people by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline andycadley

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 380
The counterpoint being that, while there is a theoretically larger audience, you lose the option of taking advantage of the extra hardware and will likely end up with something not that far from the original CPC port.

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay
The counterpoint being that, while there is a theoretically larger audience, you lose the option of taking advantage of the extra hardware and will likely end up with something not that far from the original CPC port.

I’m simply suggesting that we have two versions. But there’s lots of documented help and support to get the stock CPC scrolling at a fair old pace, especially if 128k is used. The audience for the Plus is tiny in comparison, but obviously it’s your decision at the end of the day. I’m just grateful to people like you who dedicate their time to such projects. 

When you see games like Pinball Dreams and many other new games, you realise that the stock CPC is definitely capable of a lot more than originally thought. It would just mean more to everyone and I believe ultimately yourself in regards to kudos if you were able to pull it off.

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 1005
What the heck is a CPC+?  It's Amstrad CPC or it's Amstrad Plus.
The palette he's using in those pics is pure CPC (also oddly wide like it's just transferred some of the arcade art but not taken into account having to resize and lose every other line of pixels for it to fit in Mode 0 properly) and I'd like to see it done properly on CPC cos the official port was crapola.  It would be nice to have it done properly on CPC much like it's Rainbow Collection box-buddy Bubble Bobble got from CNGsoft.  So yeah I hope it goes ahead but would be great to see it run on actual CPC.
« Last Edit: 19:13, 21 April 19 by Carnivius »
Favorite CPC games: SwitchBlade, Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan, Turrican II, UN Squadron, Oh Mummy

Offline kawickboy

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 92

The 1989 release by choice (Beach Volley) was awful, sprites are horrible...

The Master System port by Tecmagik was excellent.

Once finished, maybe we would have a liquid kids/super water bomb port.

Offline XeNoMoRPH

• 464 Plus
  • " ... in space no one , can hear you scream ... "
  • Liked: 623

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
Good to see he's fixed the aspect ratio of it all.  Though yeah now it's more actual Plus colours and I'm just not that interested in the Plus myself.
Favorite CPC games: SwitchBlade, Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan, Turrican II, UN Squadron, Oh Mummy

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 817
Allow me to interrupt, because these latest comments don't seem very fair to the authors...

I would make sure it also works on stock CPC, otherwise you won’t get anywhere near the audience, as the Plus passed a lot of people by.

... So you think we should all do Android/iOS/PS4 games because we'd reach a larger audience?
The latest Ghosts'n'Goblins was for Amstrad Plus/GX4000, this didn't prevent many people from playing and enjoying it.

When you see games like Pinball Dreams and many other new games, you realise that the stock CPC is definitely capable of a lot more than originally thought.

Yes, but having one ball sprite in one vertical scrolling against many sprites in a multi-directional scrolling are two very different things. You can't really do that on a CPC, at least it would be very very challenging. If this game can be released, with a 50hz framerate, with many sprites, and high level of playability, then I fully understand the choice of the Amstrad Plus.
« Last Edit: 20:11, 06 May 19 by Targhan »
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2 - alpha 5 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Offline XeNoMoRPH

• 464 Plus
  • " ... in space no one , can hear you scream ... "
  • Liked: 623

Les tiles du niveau 1 sont terminées ! J'attaque l'animation des sprites maintenant

Offline ervin

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 932
That's beautiful!
The CPC palette is well-suited to this game.
My (cancelled) entry for the CPCRetroDev 2017 Competition http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/my-cpcretrodev-2017-entry/
FAST line drawing in CPCtelera http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/drawing-lines-with-cpctelera-sdcc/
RUNCPC My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2015 Competition http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=12494

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
That's beautiful!
The CPC palette is well-suited to this game.
Is he still using the Plus palette or not?  Cos there's colours in there that could work on the regular CPC but then I see three shades of green in the bush in the bottom left when the CPC only has two.

Offline VincentGR

• 6128 Plus
    • Parts from the past.
  • Liked: 480
There are three, and some extra variations.

To blit, or not to blit?
Amiga 1200 Black Project

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay
Allow me to interrupt, because these latest comments don't seem very fair to the authors...

... So you think we should all do Android/iOS/PS4 games because we'd reach a larger audience?
The latest Ghosts'n'Goblins was for Amstrad Plus/GX4000, this didn't prevent many people from playing and enjoying it.

Yes, but having one ball sprite in one vertical scrolling against many sprites in a multi-directional scrolling are two very different things. You can't really do that on a CPC, at least it would be very very challenging. If this game can be released, with a 50hz framerate, with many sprites, and high level of playability, then I fully understand the choice of the Amstrad Plus.

On your first point, how did you massively jump to that conclusion, I’m just passionate about the CPC as this was the system I owned, the Plus was a bag of shizzle and a failure unlike the CPC, by the time it came out, things had massively moved on. I don’t hate the Plus, just not passionate about it in the same way I am with the CPC. I suspect it’s the same for other people. I want to see the stock CPC pushed to its limits, Rhino and other people have stated that we’ve not even scratched the surface with the CPC. So in that sense, if you’re exclusively developing for the Plus, yes, you might as well be developing for Android/iOS/PS4.

Offline andycadley

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
Counterpoint: the first Amstrad I had was a 6128+, things that take advantage of the hardware to the full are awesome. Ordinary CPC software is cool, but the Plus range will always be where I gravitate too. If I was worried about a popular 8-bit, I'd focus on the Speccy or C64.

Offline dthrone

• CPC664
    • SOHDE
  • Liked: 107
Yeh, me too, and the plus is even more "untapped" than the cpc!  8)

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
There are three, and some extra variations.
Sorry I meant pure green, not the sea, lime or pastel ones of which the greens in the bush don't match any of.  It's easy to do colour matching when you have 4096 colours.  It's one reason why the Plus machines don't interest me at all graphically.

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay
Counterpoint: the first Amstrad I had was a 6128+, things that take advantage of the hardware to the full are awesome. Ordinary CPC software is cool, but the Plus range will always be where I gravitate too. If I was worried about a popular 8-bit, I'd focus on the Speccy or C64.

The needs of the many, not the few, or the one

Offline andycadley

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
The needs of the many, not the few, or the one

I see it more as, if you want to write a game for the 464, go for it. If you want to write a game for the GX4000, go for it. If you want to write a game for a CPC which requires a PlayCity and 4MB of RAM, go for it. If you're the one writing the game, you get to choose what hardware platform you are interested in targeting.

Anyone who wants to do another port of NZS to the 464 (or whatever) can go right ahead.

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay

I see it more as, if you want to write a game for the 464, go for it. If you want to write a game for the GX4000, go for it. If you want to write a game for a CPC which requires a PlayCity and 4MB of RAM, go for it. If you're the one writing the game, you get to choose what hardware platform you are interested in targeting.

Anyone who wants to do another port of NZS to the 464 (or whatever) can go right ahead.

That's fine, but more people would buy a physical copy if made for both systems or just the CPC.

Offline kawickboy

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 92
maybe a cartridge release should include the extra-ram needed in that case.

Offline keith56

• ちび悪魔!
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Part Ma, Part Aku... All Chibi!
    • Chibi Akuma(s)
  • Liked: 846

Definately, the Dev should choose whatever target platform interests them most... It's all about seeing it through to the end, and aiming for what you see as your 'goal'

And of course CPC+ colors can always be added once the game is complete without too much work if there is demand for it.
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens
Want to learn to make games in Assembly? Check out my Text+Videos Tutorials for Z80, 6502, 68000

Offline Sykobee (Briggsy)

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 220
Indeed, Plus support can be added on, but a good Plus upgrade would take a bit of time - hardware sprites and hardware scrolling being the obvious additions.
But developer should do what they want to do and what motivates them.
« Last Edit: 17:31, 23 May 19 by Sykobee (Briggsy) »