Help needed for a ThenewzealandStory remake on Amstrad CPC+ project on Twitter

Started by genesis8, 12:13, 21 April 19

Previous topic - Next topic

genesis8

https://twitter.com/BenYoris is asking for help for a The New Zealand Story remake on Amstrad CPC+, a musician and a coder.

ukmarkh

I would make sure it also works on stock CPC, otherwise you won't get anywhere near the audience, as the Plus passed a lot of people by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andycadley

The counterpoint being that, while there is a theoretically larger audience, you lose the option of taking advantage of the extra hardware and will likely end up with something not that far from the original CPC port.

ukmarkh

Quote from: andycadley on 13:40, 21 April 19
The counterpoint being that, while there is a theoretically larger audience, you lose the option of taking advantage of the extra hardware and will likely end up with something not that far from the original CPC port.

I'm simply suggesting that we have two versions. But there's lots of documented help and support to get the stock CPC scrolling at a fair old pace, especially if 128k is used. The audience for the Plus is tiny in comparison, but obviously it's your decision at the end of the day. I'm just grateful to people like you who dedicate their time to such projects. 

When you see games like Pinball Dreams and many other new games, you realise that the stock CPC is definitely capable of a lot more than originally thought. It would just mean more to everyone and I believe ultimately yourself in regards to kudos if you were able to pull it off.

Carnivius

What the heck is a CPC+?  It's Amstrad CPC or it's Amstrad Plus.
The palette he's using in those pics is pure CPC (also oddly wide like it's just transferred some of the arcade art but not taken into account having to resize and lose every other line of pixels for it to fit in Mode 0 properly) and I'd like to see it done properly on CPC cos the official port was crapola.  It would be nice to have it done properly on CPC much like it's Rainbow Collection box-buddy Bubble Bobble got from CNGsoft.  So yeah I hope it goes ahead but would be great to see it run on actual CPC.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

kawickboy

The 1989 release by choice (Beach Volley) was awful, sprites are horrible...

The Master System port by Tecmagik was excellent.

Once finished, maybe we would have a liquid kids/super water bomb port.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Carnivius

Good to see he's fixed the aspect ratio of it all.  Though yeah now it's more actual Plus colours and I'm just not that interested in the Plus myself.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Targhan

Allow me to interrupt, because these latest comments don't seem very fair to the authors...

QuoteI would make sure it also works on stock CPC, otherwise you won't get anywhere near the audience, as the Plus passed a lot of people by.

... So you think we should all do Android/iOS/PS4 games because we'd reach a larger audience?
The latest Ghosts'n'Goblins was for Amstrad Plus/GX4000, this didn't prevent many people from playing and enjoying it.

QuoteWhen you see games like Pinball Dreams and many other new games, you realise that the stock CPC is definitely capable of a lot more than originally thought.

Yes, but having one ball sprite in one vertical scrolling against many sprites in a multi-directional scrolling are two very different things. You can't really do that on a CPC, at least it would be very very challenging. If this game can be released, with a 50hz framerate, with many sprites, and high level of playability, then I fully understand the choice of the Amstrad Plus.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

XeNoMoRPH

Les tiles du niveau 1 sont terminées ! J'attaque l'animation des sprites maintenant

ervin

That's beautiful!
The CPC palette is well-suited to this game.

Carnivius

Quote from: ervin on 04:41, 21 May 19
That's beautiful!
The CPC palette is well-suited to this game.
Is he still using the Plus palette or not?  Cos there's colours in there that could work on the regular CPC but then I see three shades of green in the bush in the bottom left when the CPC only has two.

VincentGR

ukmarkh

Quote from: Targhan on 18:08, 06 May 19
Allow me to interrupt, because these latest comments don't seem very fair to the authors...

... So you think we should all do Android/iOS/PS4 games because we'd reach a larger audience?
The latest Ghosts'n'Goblins was for Amstrad Plus/GX4000, this didn't prevent many people from playing and enjoying it.

Yes, but having one ball sprite in one vertical scrolling against many sprites in a multi-directional scrolling are two very different things. You can't really do that on a CPC, at least it would be very very challenging. If this game can be released, with a 50hz framerate, with many sprites, and high level of playability, then I fully understand the choice of the Amstrad Plus.

On your first point, how did you massively jump to that conclusion, I'm just passionate about the CPC as this was the system I owned, the Plus was a bag of shizzle and a failure unlike the CPC, by the time it came out, things had massively moved on. I don't hate the Plus, just not passionate about it in the same way I am with the CPC. I suspect it's the same for other people. I want to see the stock CPC pushed to its limits, Rhino and other people have stated that we've not even scratched the surface with the CPC. So in that sense, if you're exclusively developing for the Plus, yes, you might as well be developing for Android/iOS/PS4.

[emoji6]

andycadley

Counterpoint: the first Amstrad I had was a 6128+, things that take advantage of the hardware to the full are awesome. Ordinary CPC software is cool, but the Plus range will always be where I gravitate too. If I was worried about a popular 8-bit, I'd focus on the Speccy or C64.

dthrone

Yeh, me too, and the plus is even more "untapped" than the cpc!  8)

Carnivius

Quote from: VincentGR on 18:09, 21 May 19
There are three, and some extra variations.
Sorry I meant pure green, not the sea, lime or pastel ones of which the greens in the bush don't match any of.  It's easy to do colour matching when you have 4096 colours.  It's one reason why the Plus machines don't interest me at all graphically.

ukmarkh

Quote from: andycadley on 18:43, 21 May 19
Counterpoint: the first Amstrad I had was a 6128+, things that take advantage of the hardware to the full are awesome. Ordinary CPC software is cool, but the Plus range will always be where I gravitate too. If I was worried about a popular 8-bit, I'd focus on the Speccy or C64.

The needs of the many, not the few, or the one [emoji23]

andycadley

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:18, 21 May 19
The needs of the many, not the few, or the one

I see it more as, if you want to write a game for the 464, go for it. If you want to write a game for the GX4000, go for it. If you want to write a game for a CPC which requires a PlayCity and 4MB of RAM, go for it. If you're the one writing the game, you get to choose what hardware platform you are interested in targeting.

Anyone who wants to do another port of NZS to the 464 (or whatever) can go right ahead.

ukmarkh

Quote from: andycadley on 23:11, 21 May 19

I see it more as, if you want to write a game for the 464, go for it. If you want to write a game for the GX4000, go for it. If you want to write a game for a CPC which requires a PlayCity and 4MB of RAM, go for it. If you're the one writing the game, you get to choose what hardware platform you are interested in targeting.

Anyone who wants to do another port of NZS to the 464 (or whatever) can go right ahead.

That's fine, but more people would buy a physical copy if made for both systems or just the CPC.

kawickboy

maybe a cartridge release should include the extra-ram needed in that case.

keith56

Quote from: andycadley on 23:11, 21 May 19

Definately, the Dev should choose whatever target platform interests them most... It's all about seeing it through to the end, and aiming for what you see as your 'goal'

And of course CPC+ colors can always be added once the game is complete without too much work if there is demand for it.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Indeed, Plus support can be added on, but a good Plus upgrade would take a bit of time - hardware sprites and hardware scrolling being the obvious additions.
But developer should do what they want to do and what motivates them.

amijim

One week vacation in my hotel for the coder at the end of his journey .My first computer contact with computers was amstrad 464 and i really liked army moves and green berret ,later on i  was given a c64,Wow , ghouls and ghosts!My first brand new computer was amstrad 6128+ .....wait a minute where is the super color games?All i had was switchblade which was not a plus game in my opinion, no exit.....which was ,,,you know and fire and forget II....my god.....my new computer was a tragedy.The original burning rubber was the best game i played in that time.The coders back in the original days were not doing a good job for the plus.Look at the original cpc games.Titus the fox , prince of persia .....It was only after the c4cpc era that i managed to play perhistorik , rick dangerous homebrew deluxe version and last year ghouls and ghost that really showed the publuc...what the amstrad plus could do.Better late than never they say and i hope for a complete game.I can offer One week vacation in june or sept in my hotel in Greece for 3-4 people,valid at any year.  Go for it on the plus range.CPC have enough brilliant games.

XeNoMoRPH