Author Topic: Hibernated - text adventure for the CPC (and much more!)  (Read 540 times)

Online Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2736
Apologies if this has been covered, haven't seen it anywhere.

From AtariCrypt:

Hibernated 1: This Place is Death is a sci-fi text adventure by Stefan Vogt released for a variety of different platforms along with our beautiful Atari ST. We are Olivia Lund onboard the intergalactic spaceship, Polaris-7, who has awoken from stasis too soon. The ship appears recently abandoned and has been caught by an alien tracker-beam...Text adventures aren't really my cuppa tea but I've enjoyed myself today if I'm honest. I often soon bore and struggle to get anywhere but the parser is easy to use with its two-word command system for Examine, Get, Open, Search, Move, etc. There are also shortcuts: I for Inventory and R to redescribe the current location. Medium resolution is supported but oddly not monochrome... The docs advised making a map and that is a very good idea!!Hibernated 1 is possibly the first of a new trilogy which can be downloaded and bought right now. Name your own price - which I think that is a wonderful idea - thus play before you pay. Any text-adventurers lurking out there?

Homepage: https://8bitgames.itch.io/hibernated1 .Hibernated 1: This Place is Death was released for C64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Amiga, Atari ST and DOS.Sounds interesting... :)

Online Targhan

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 688
Re: Hibernated - text adventure for the CPC (and much more!)
« Reply #1 on: 11:39, 30 August 18 »
Thanks! Didn't hear about it before, will check it out! The scenario is promising. I hope the parsing is as good as Doomsday Lost Echoes!

Online Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2736
« Reply #2 on: 12:38, 30 August 18 »
I'll be very impressed if it does, but who knows :)

Online Targhan

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #3 on: 14:16, 30 August 18 »
Played it for one hour, so far it's very good!

Offline robcfg

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • 8-Bit Technomancer
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 830
« Reply #4 on: 15:57, 30 August 18 »
Ok, let’s try it!

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
  • Liked: 985
« Reply #5 on: 20:43, 03 September 18 »
I played it a couple of weeks ago and I liked it  :) . I wish the CPC presentation was as good as in the Spectrum version, since the color coding helps with the parser, but as soon as you get used to it is very enjoyable. It really plays like a hard-core classic game  :)

Online Targhan

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #6 on: 15:14, 06 September 18 »
Finished it (with the help of the solution two or three times...). It's pretty good! The puzzles are logical, though the input of the analyzer is at times limited, so it is sometimes hard to know what to do or what are the consequences of an action. A good game nonetheless!
« Last Edit: 18:21, 06 September 18 by Targhan »

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
  • Liked: 985
« Reply #7 on: 01:08, 07 September 18 »
Finished it (with the help of the solution two or three times...). It's pretty good! The puzzles are logical, though the input of the analyzer is at times limited, so it is sometimes hard to know what to do or what are the consequences of an action. A good game nonetheless!
Yes... you have to get used to it. Something you always should to avoid when writing an adventure is to mention things in the text that later cannot be referred by the player in the same way you mentioned them. It is quite frustrating but, traditionally, it was accepted as necessary in 8 bit games due to the limited RAM availability. There are workarounds for this, though, but this game behaves as the old school ones in that regard  :) .

Offline Strident

• CPC464
    • 8bitAG
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: 17:43, 16 September 18 »
Not sure what version of the game people have played above but it's worth noting that Hibernated 1 originally started out as a Quilled C64 adventure before being ported to PAWS using inPAWS on Spectrum / Amstrad CP/M / PC DOS etc.

Stefan, the author, has recently remade the game using the DAAD writing system and now the Amstrad version is available for tape-based machines. All the latest downloads of Hibernated 1 are here https://8bitgames.itch.io/hibernated1 and the game itself will be getting a physical release (with a bonus adventure) soon. The Amstrad release will be on tape, I believe.

DAAD itself should be of interest to Amstrad text adventure gamers. Originally written for Spanish adventure company Aventuras AD, it's recently been reocvered & re-released by Stefan Vogt and Tim Gilberts. The new version includes full support for English-language adventures and allows you to produce a game, from a single source, that can be published on C64, Spectrum, CPC, MSX, PCW, ST, Amiga and DOS.

See... http://8-bit.info/infinite-imaginations-aventuras-ad/ for more information and to download the system.
8-Bit Adventure Gamer / 8bitAG.com - 8bitAG.com/info - 8bitAG.com/games