Hidden music in "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles : The Coin Op" & "Shadow Dancer" ?

Started by Xyphoe, 08:22, 08 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

Quote from: Xyphoe on 01:55, 05 October 11
Hey guys ... any progress or update on this?

I'm not up on disc loading routines, so haven't got anything to load the sectors on the B-Side into memory.

However, I guess it's possible to search for routines using something like Discology (unless the data is packed)...?  If so, looking for a routine other than the FX one found by SyX might reveal that there's something in there...

SyX

Well, i was going to said that in the second disk of TMHT there is only graphics and level data, no code and because that the only sound routine during the game is for Sound FXs.

And then i have taken another look and... it's totally truth :o There are hidden songs!!!  ;D

I have attached an snapshot, you can hear them easily from WinApe, F7 to go to the debugger, put a breakpoint in $5C46, load the snapshot, F9 to go back to the CPC, and when the debugger appears, change the value from the A register from $00 to a number between $00 -$ 0B to hear one of the twelve songs, F9 and you can hear the new musics during the menu  ;)

I could rip the music to a CPC executable for easier play, but i don't think it' possible to enable the music during the game, for starting the game run without interrupts enabled, the music player code doesn't exist during the game (it can be disabled because they had not enoguh  ram, 64KBs game), but i think that the real reason is similar to the zx spectrum version, the music player take a lot of CPU, you can hear how during the select controls screen the music sound slower, during the game would destroy all the playability.

With respect to Shadow Dancer, the game is a 64KBs game and the menu is always in memory, because that there is no ram to the luxury of a hidden music, but i will take another look.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Really great work SyX.

Would be nice to rip the music for prosperity, and to show the Speccy boys how it's done  ;)

Xyphoe

Quote from: SyX on 17:23, 05 October 11
Well, i was going to said that in the second disk of TMHT there is only graphics and level data, no code and because that the only sound routine during the game is for Sound FXs.

And then i have taken another look and... it's totally truth :o There are hidden songs!!!  ;D

I have attached an snapshot, you can hear them easily from WinApe, F7 to go to the debugger, put a breakpoint in $5C46, load the snapshot, F9 to go back to the CPC, and when the debugger appears, change the value from the A register from $00 to a number between $00 -$ 0B to hear one of the twelve songs, F9 and you can hear the new musics during the menu  ;)

I could rip the music to a CPC executable for easier play, but i don't think it' possible to enable the music during the game, for starting the game run without interrupts enabled, the music player code doesn't exist during the game (it can be disabled because they had not enoguh  ram, 64KBs game), but i think that the real reason is similar to the zx spectrum version, the music player take a lot of CPU, you can hear how during the select controls screen the music sound slower, during the game would destroy all the playability.

With respect to Shadow Dancer, the game is a 64KBs game and the menu is always in memory, because that there is no ram to the luxury of a hidden music, but i will take another look.

Hi SyX!

That is a fantastic find!!!!
Well done!

Unfortunately I have a problem trying to get this to work -

What version of WinApe did you use?
Which disk dump did you use?
In the snapshot did you also save the "Disc in Drive A:"?

Maybe I might have misunderstood your instructions as I'm a dumbass  :P

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Quote from: SyX on 17:23, 05 October 11

Is this the right instructions?

1) Open WinApe
2) Hit F7
3) Goto $5C46 and hit F5 to put a breakpoint in.
4) File menu > Load Snapshot > select "tortugas.sna" > Open
5) Hit F9

I now get the loading screen messed up with yellow/pink/green colours ... mostly yellow ... and a small blue border at the bottom of the screen.
The debugger screen immediately re-appears

This next bit I don't know what to do -

"change the value from the A register from $00 to a number between $00 -$ 0B"

Where do I find the "A register" to change?

I see a bit further down at 5C85 the instruction "LD A,#02" ... does that mean 'load the A register with 02'?
(tried changing that and it failed, just playing the same note one channel constantly! so probably not!)

If I can do this, I'll rip WAV's of each of the songs for everyone.

Xyphoe

Cracked it!

On the debugger in the top right hand corner - under "Flags", you want the "AF" and the four digit field to edit next to it.

It should show "0040", change this to "0140", "0240", "0340", etc (you will need to reload the snapshot each time first of course before trying next piece of music)

And wow they sound really damn good so far .... !!!!!

There are even some intermission, game over, etc musics!!!

Xyphoe

Hey guys,

Just to whet your appetites, here's one of the tunes attached (#5) - pretty cool stuff!

I'm going to make WAV's of each of them, and I'll be doing a longplay video so will add in the music over the top in the relevant places  :D

I'll also get in touch with the World Of Spectrum guys about the find :)

MiguelSky

SyX

Thanks Everybody!!!  ;D

I have ripped the songs and made a menu to hear them easier ;)

UPDATE: Sorry DSK fixed, download again :P

viddi

Wow! Thanks SyX.

Hopefully these great songs can be implemented one day...

tastefulmrship

Quote from: SyX on 10:19, 06 October 11
Thanks Everybody!!!  ;D
Am I doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get MUSIC 09 to play via the menu?

EDIT: Ok, got it! Just POKE &53EF,&3A...

SyX

Thanks tastefulmrship for the bug report  ;)

Sorry for the inconvenience, i have update the .DSK in the preview post ... my bad, there was a lot of noise in my work and i thought that i had "hear" every song :P

dragon

great!.The songs sound very good!.

Quotebut i think that the real reason is similar to the zx spectrum version, the music player take a lot of CPU, you can hear how during the select controls screen the music sound slower, during the game would destroy all the playability.

And in plus using sound dma?.(winape is a plus emulator)

SyX

Quote from: dragon on 16:37, 06 October 11And in plus using sound dma?.(winape is a plus emulator)
You would need to understand the music player perfectly to convert it at a CPC+ DMA song list... It's possible, but it's so boring and time consuming :P

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 18:13, 06 October 11
You would need to understand the music player perfectly to convert it at a CPC+ DMA song list... It's possible, but it's so boring and time consuming :P

Yes and you must understand the copper code too, and you need a lot of memory in addition.

Better: Use a good player!

Me? Got no time!
TFM of FutureSoft

redbox

That's the one thing really missing from emulators - the ability to rip music.

I know WinAPE records YM, but you still have to start/stop it and it doesn't detect loops or trim the files for you.

If we could record it properly, we could use a really fast player and patch it into some games etc.

Ygdrazil

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 10:19, 06 October 11
Thanks Everybody!!!  ;D

UPDATE: Sorry DSK fixed, download again :P

Thanks a lot!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 14:03, 07 October 11
Great pure digital archaeology!  :)

/Ygdrazil

Precisely my thinking! There's something to discovering tunes buried decades ago... *sigh*

Gryzor

SyX

Thanks... but without Xyphoe and this thread i would not have discovered anything ;)

Gryzor

This is true, that's why I linked to the forum instead of the file directly :)

great job, guys!