News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 00:30, 28 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

tastefulmrship

Quote from: McKlain on 14:54, 21 June 15
I wanna know how to convert roms to cartridges  :laugh:
I still have ALL of my single-files in .asm format (which are the basis for all my ROM conversions) if you want to experiment. However, CPCnorm games on a CPC+ console without upgrading the games, first? Why? I see no point. If someone was to (at least) change the palettes to CPC+ then maybe it's viable, otherwise, it's not for me.

I own a 6128 and that plays all the games/demos I (personally) need. The CPC+ range always was an after-thought! I mean, what happened to Similanceata as a CPC+ demo-group? I would buy a CPC+ or GX4K if they were still going! AND, the CPC demoscene would not be so stagnant (other than the Spanish demo, of course).

McKlain

I have a 6128 plus and there is a lot of interesting non-game roms that could be used with the C4CPC.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: McKlain on 17:24, 21 June 15
I have a 6128 plus and there is a lot of interesting non-game roms that could be used with the C4CPC.
Fair point.
I don't usually care for non-game (or non-demo) things on CPC. I've got a PC for those.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Jonah Ship on 17:31, 21 June 15
Fair point.
I don't usually care for non-game (or non-demo) things on CPC. I've got a PC for those.
I woudl use Brunword Elite to this day if I could find a way of printing from it to a modern printer. I refuse to buy a BW epson compatible printer for just 1 machine.

However brunword Elite had some Beautiful fonts (Chelmer and Clacton particularly) but also some features that no other WP program had.

As I cannot touch type I regularly do not look at the screen when typing, and the Caps Lock key may inadvertently created some vERY sILLY lOOKING pHRASES if you see what I mean.

Well in Brunword you could cursor to the first letter (In this case v) and press a CTRL Key combo (I cannot remember exactly) and it would toggle the case Upper to lower then move to the next character... So much quicker than retyping. I used this a lot!

For quick notes, Address labels, CV's or even letters for Job applications etc, Brunword is to this day more than capable. I just cannot print anything LOL.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

tastefulmrship

Seeing as this thread has been resurrected and the new version of G'n'G has, finally, been released on C64, I thought I'd update the G'n'G ROM for CPC, too. It now has a CPC'ised version of STE's amazing new loading screen. Files ZIPPED and ATTACHED below;

|GNG to load, then press any key at the title screen as normal to play.

TFM

Funny thing: After the lives are used up the game returns to basic. Nice feature! :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Heheh, "no more gaming for you, go do your homework you lazy bum!" :D

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:22, 23 June 15
Heheh, "no more gaming for you, go do your homework you lazy bum!" :D
Surely that should drop out and into CPM (dr logo or supercalc) or protext. A basic prompt to me says "load another game, you were not great at that one"
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

tastefulmrship

And people wondered why this thread had died...
Obvious troll is a troll!

EDIT: It works fine on WinAPE, JavaCPC, WinCPC, Caprice Reloaded and my own CPC-6128. Maybe having "other software" installed causes issues with Axelay's ROM build configuration. Maybe someone needs to look into that incase someone else decides to use that ROM build.

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:45, 23 June 15
Surely that should drop out and into CPM (dr logo or supercalc) or protext. A basic prompt to me says "load another game, you were not great at that one"

Actually a jump to Protext is doable and it would be really funny!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 10:01, 24 June 15
And people wondered why this thread had died...
Obvious troll is a troll!
Yeah, even changing a pseudo wont change that!  ;D 

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 10:01, 24 June 15EDIT: It works fine on WinAPE, JavaCPC, WinCPC, Caprice Reloaded and my own CPC-6128. Maybe having "other software" installed causes issues with Axelay's ROM build configuration. Maybe someone needs to look into that incase someone else decides to use that ROM build.
Indeed, other ROMs bring the problems, for example Maxam, Protext, Utopia, other DOS (on position ROM 6). So pretty much any ROM. It runs fine and without problems with FutureOS though.  :P
TFM of FutureSoft

merlinkv

I'm reading this thread and ...  :o :o :o  ... What a great job guys ... Thank you so much !!!!!!!!

I can ask for .....

- Abu Simbel Profanation
- Alien 8
I don't know if will be possible but thanks anyway ....  :)

TFM

Alien 8? Hmmm... needs two ROMs... here...

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Abu Simbel.... 2 ROMs...

Thanks to @cngsoft for compression! Give him some Likes!  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

merlinkv

Thanks @TFM & @cngsoft  .... Some likes on the way  :D :D

nitrofurano

i don't know if i can ask for Tuareg, Wells&Fargo, Emilio Butragueño, Aspar, Perico Delgado, Death Wish 3, Defenders of the Earth, African Trail Simulator, Pang, L'Aigle d'Or, L'Aigle d'Or Le Retour,  Alien 8, Alien Highway, AMC, Angel Nieto Pole 500, Ant Attack, Arkos, Atomic Driver, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes... - thanks!!! ;) - and anyway, are there tutorials or documentations that might help us to help converting as well?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: nitrofurano on 12:15, 26 March 16
i don't know if i can ask for Tuareg, Wells&Fargo, Emilio Butragueño, Aspar, Perico Delgado, Death Wish 3, Defenders of the Earth, African Trail Simulator, Pang, L'Aigle d'Or, L'Aigle d'Or Le Retour,  Alien 8, Alien Highway, AMC, Angel Nieto Pole 500, Ant Attack, Arkos, Atomic Driver, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes... - thanks!!! ;) - and anyway, are there tutorials or documentations that might help us to help converting as well?
Alien8 was converted above (but use |ALIEN8 not !ALIEN8 as the ROM text suggests), Alien Highway is in this thread (somewhere) and Arkos is already ROM'd by Targhan.
Some of those other titles are multi-load titles and difficult to ROM. It's easier to convert single-load titles.

nitrofurano

thanks! :)  - btw, with some very rare exceptions, Spanish "edad de oro" games aren't multiload, and seems to be developed in a very similar way each other, besides that they are mostly great! :)

i'd add these ones to the list: Ice-Breaker, Corsarios, Gonzzalezz, Sol Negro, Ulises, Mortadelo y Filemón, Chicago's 30, Metropolis, Titanic, Hundra, Bestial Warrior, Capitan Sevilla, Capitan Trueno... and Monty Python's Flying Circus, Tir Na Nog...

TFM

Quote from: nitrofurano on 12:15, 26 March 16

Hi! I will PM you!
TFM of FutureSoft

Phantomz

No I'm not posting in the wrong thread.  :laugh:  :P     ( I normally do carts games, for people that don't know ).

I've just started to look into how to make roms, I'm not sure how to do games that take multiple roms yet!

I've just done my first rom which is " Frog Alot ", I used " Softbrenner " to make this rom, I believe you can use this program to make games with multiple roms but I'll have to figure it out as can't read
the options as not in English.  :doh:

|FROGALOT   to run the game.

I hope the rom works ok, I could only test in emulation ( winape ) as I haven't got the real hardware to test it out, I will get a  MotherX4 Main Board, X-MEM, and X-MASS as soon as got the cash free. ( stupid bills )  :doh:

I've also included a poked rom which gives infinite lives.  :)

Phantomz

Ok for my second Rom, I've done a game that is already available as a Rom.

This one is " Harrier Attack " it is now " Harrier Attack - Joypad Version ;D

Use a Joypad or Joystick with 2 fire buttons, Button 2 is used for Bombs, Use Space to Eject.   :)

|HARRIER  to run the game

Phantomz

I'm still using " Softbrenner ".

I'm not sure how to convert more than one file ( if possible? ) like Bas and a Bin, or Bas and 2 Bins etc ( still new to this ).  ::)

TFM

Softbrenner allows you to use as much files as you want, just add one after the other.
TFM of FutureSoft

Phantomz

Quote from: TFM on 19:57, 07 June 16
Softbrenner allows you to use as much files as you want, just add one after the other.

Thanks for the info  ;)

When I've tried to add the bas and bins, I convert stuff to rom ok, but it comes up, Drive A:disc missing, Retry, Ignore or Cancel?

I'll have another look at some point, maybe something to do with memory address!  ::)