News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 00:30, 28 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Ok, this is clear! You need to change the BASIC loader in a way that every LOAD command will be changed into an RSX, since the loaded parts are part of the ROM(s). The program can't apply AI to any BASIC program. So one has to change loaders in BASIC with the hand.

Let's say the BASIC loads a Binary at &9000 then replace this line in the BASIC program to an RSX command (for example !LOADBIN). And use the same name for the Binary in the ROM. Also use the correct loading address.

Is this clear in my broken English, or do I need to go more into detail?

EDIT: Look at the ROMs I posted, they can serve as an example. Look at the BASIC loader.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Phantomz

Quote from: TFM on 20:57, 07 June 16
Ok, this is clear! You need to change the BASIC loader in a way that every LOAD command will be changed into an RSX, since the loaded parts are part of the ROM(s). The program can't apply AI to any BASIC program. So one has to change loaders in BASIC with the hand.

Let's say the BASIC loads a Binary at &9000 then replace this line in the BASIC program to an RSX command (for example !LOADBIN). And use the same name for the Binary in the ROM. Also use the correct loading address.

Is this clear in my broken English, or do I need to go more into detail?

EDIT: Look at the ROMs I posted, they can serve as an example. Look at the BASIC loader.

Your English is great, I understand what you're saying, it's makes perfect sense.  :)

Thanks for the Information.  :)

TFM

Thank's! Glad I could help.

I really like Softbrenner, the only 'missing thing' is that it doesn't add the checksum to &FFFF. But since it was made for the ROM-RAM-Box they didn't think about adding a checksum when saving a ROM. But I guess we can life with that, since it can be done by hand easy.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

zeropolis79

The_Mole_UK

Quote from: TFM on 22:22, 28 March 13
Ok... in quick...

Install Softbrenner ROM in an MegaFlash or CPC emulator
Insert Disc with "Munch.", the 15 KB file
Start Softbrenner with !SB
Type "M" for Make ROM
Press "X" for add RSX
Move black bar over file "MUNCH." (ok, it is there already)
Press RETRUN to load file
Now you see a RSX command, that can be changed. Press DEL just once to delete the point
On the screen you see "!MUNCH", press Return
Press "2" for "load file into RAM and autostart"
Press Return twice to admit the load and autostart addresses of the file
Press N for No autostart after reset
Now press "S" for save ROM
And that's it you have your ROM!!!

SOFTBRENNER V1.24 -E- can edit the strings of the ROM and version etc.   The string needs an indent or will look odd to other ROM strings.

I used Hex Workshop to add $A4 (c).  You can only overwrite the 20 (space).  Spaces at the end if left over.  I used CPCDiskXP 2.51 (Used the 'Disc Editor'!) to transfer the ROMs between a 40 track, 178k DSK image and my PC.  Superb!!!

QuoteOne last thing remains to do: You must adapt the checksum. That can be done with the small basic program "checksum.bas"
Again, I used CPCDiskXP 2.51 (Used the 'Disc Editor'!) to transfer the ROMs between a 40 track, 178k DSK image and my PC. Superb!!!

Continued in the post below...

tastefulmrship

[oops... wrong thread!]

The_Mole_UK

The_Mole_UK

The_Mole_UK

QuoteI really like Softbrenner, the only 'missing thing' is that it doesn't add the checksum to &FFFF. But since it was made for the ROM-RAM-Box they didn't think about adding a checksum when saving a ROM. But I guess we can life with that, since it can be done by hand easy.  :)
Check out my disc above...I've made something...

The_Mole_UK

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:03, 18 September 13
Ok, got the Softbrenner ROM working, but have to give up anyway.

Can't do this using any emulator on Linux it seems (?). Caprice doesn't let me save files to disk. Whatever files I save is gone from the DSK again after a reset.
And Arnold doesn't seem to support adding additional ROM files.

I guess I'll have to wait till there's time and room for me to setup my CPC+ somewhere.
Remove the disc from the drive emulation BEFORE you back it up.  The drive gets cached I think and the changes are written when you exit WinAPE or eject a disc.  So before closing WinAPE, eject your drives first, then it won't mess up the INI/discs and need a reedit!!!  I did this initially too...

VincentGR

My two cents.

Area 51 - |AREA
Save Santa - |SANTA

VincentGR

Still cannot make a big file in two roms, sb is saving just one.
16KB is the maximum for me  :-X
I used a translator on my phone's camera but don't understand a thing  ;D

Also I did compress some but can't extract them, oh well...

Here is another one:

Elevator Action |ELEV

Gryzor

VincentGR

Dammit, I got the UK version of softbrenner but still can't find how to save a split rom.

EDIT: Never mind, I changed the name and pressed save again. It works  :picard:

Now have to figure out the crunching method.
Used Turbocruncher but it gives me 1KB file at the end.
I used .BIN file less than 34KB.

EDIT 2: No room in real floppies, used WinAPE. It doesn't work there, with JAVACPC everything is OK.
            But the ROM just resets the machine  :picard2:

VincentGR

Ok

La Guerra De Gamber - |GAMB
H.E.R.O - |HERO

VincentGR

Line Runner - |LINE
Killer Cobra - |COBRA
Metal Army - |METAL
Silkworm - |SILK
Storm - |STORM
Tournament Tennis |TENNIS
Indoor Bowling - |BOWL

VincentGR

aaand another one

CoolBox Revisited - |COOL
Phoenix Arcade (Mode 0) - |PHNX
Phoenix Arcade (Mode 1) - |PHNX
Space Invaders - |SI

VincentGR

Titus Classiques Volume 1 - |TITUS1
Titus Classiques Volume 2 - |TITUS2

Gryzor

Ah I had forgotten about these! Perfect for ROM...

VincentGR

I know, right?

For days now I'm struggling to merge bas and bin in one rom and actually load the bin part.
Tried to RSX it with no avail.

GUNHED

As told before: Use the Inicron ROM Manger. It does it super easy and beautiful.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

VincentGR

VincentGR

VincentGR

VincentGR