Author Topic: Imperial Mahjong: CargoSoft new game.  (Read 7362 times)

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Liked: 410
Re: Imperial Mahjong: CargoSoft new game.
« Reply #80 on: 01:11, 17 October 16 »
Yeeeeah, for this one I think I'll handle the design, and Super Sylvestre the code. Suits me better.

Offline eliot

• CPC664
    • Benediction - demogroup since 1995
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #81 on: 15:51, 18 October 16 »
Absolutely brilliant production... Well done!

Awesome graphical work regarding the 1st steps seen some years ago...

Offline keith56

• ちび悪魔!
  • Supporter
  • CPC6128
  • Part Ma, Part Aku... All Chibi!
    • Chibi Akuma(s)
  • Liked: 397
« Reply #82 on: 01:21, 24 October 16 »
Stunning work here - I was racking my brains to figure out how the heck they could get Mode 0 colors on Mode 1! Very, very clever programming
Its really incredible to see what new ideas people can realise on such an old system!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter for CPC - http://www.chibiakumas.com
「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG: http://www.chibiakuma.com
Chibi Akumas Episode 2:Confrontation...Out Now!

Offline beb

• CPC464
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #83 on: 01:57, 24 October 16 »
@Targhan : How many percent, did your game reach on a Rhino's scale ?
I'm curious...
>> Oldskool Rules // Asic Suxx <<

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
« Reply #84 on: 10:25, 24 October 16 »
Ahah, excellent question, I really don't know, since I don't know what a "100%" game would mean :). I will wait for his "40%" Pinball (which should already be very exciting) to weigh in!

Offline roudoudou

• 464 Plus
    • urban exploration
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #85 on: 10:59, 26 October 16 »
  • Sample during the loading of the game at FDC full speed.

The FDC is always reading at full speed (if not, you get a timeout error - ET1 bit 4). Maybe you mean without retries ;)

The clever part is the sector list translation between each tracks to optimize track change.

Nice tuning!

use RASM, the best assembler ever made :p

repeat
call code
call sleep
call eat
until alive==1

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
« Reply #86 on: 12:24, 26 October 16 »
No, that is not what I meant. Generally speaking, the FDC is indeed reading at full speed, and no retry is needed (on the software side), error excepted. But the time spent by your code between reading sectors can make you miss the next sector. Which is probably why Amsdos sectors are interlaced when formatting a Data track (try to format linearly: the loading is much much much slower). But it is not an error in itself: the FDC considers it can not find a sector only when it has reached *twice* the end of the track.

The way to make the FDC run at "full speed" is to always be sure to feed him with the right sectors, including when changing track, so that it doesn't have to wait for the next round. It seems obvious, yet I didn't see many loading code that managed it correctly. Never with 10 sectors track, actually. So try to beat me, lamerzzz :) .
« Last Edit: 12:45, 26 October 16 by Targhan »

Offline roudoudou

• 464 Plus
    • urban exploration
« Reply #87 on: 13:05, 26 October 16 »
Amsdos is slow because he read a sector list. Your loader will be slower than amsdos with fragmented files ;)
Anyway it's possible to be faster with sector 6 format as you did not specify if the floppy has to be written by a cpc. Then  you have one kb more data (+20%) in the exact same time.
Need an amiga or kryoflux to write it...
Cheaper version is to create a HFE.

repeat
call code
call sleep
call eat
until alive==1

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
« Reply #88 on: 14:58, 26 October 16 »

Your loader will be slower than amsdos with fragmented files

Absolutely not, why would that be? I also read a sector list.
Amsdos is slow because he does stuff after reading each sectors (which is not abnormal for an OS). You have less than a HALT of "free" time between two consecutive sectors to "do stuff". Passed this, you've missed the next sector and the FDC has to wait for the next round.

Anyway it's possible to be faster with sector 6 format as you did not specify if the floppy has to be written by a cpc. Then  you have one kb more data (+20%) in the exact same time.

Not true. Your sector will start at the start of the track. By the time you read all the data, you WILL go beyond the end of the track (because size 6 is bigger than the real track size). You will go to the next track, but by the time you do that, the head will probably be in middle of the next track when being ready to read the only sector of the track. One more round to wait...

It is probably possible to do like you say if you are able to start the writing of your unique sector in "mid" track. I know a real-cpc technique to do that, but an Amiga may be able to do it more simply. So let's pretend you can shift sectors like I did for Orion Prime and Imperial Mahjong, but for size-6 sectors.

BUT: even if you have a nice track layout, since you actually encode more data than needed (because size 6), you will read real data + garbage data. So there won't be, I think, any gain of speed. Unless you stop reading after a certain amount of read data (by provoking an overrun), but then it's really not clean.

So to sum up: it's nice for the technical challenge, but I don't think you will have real benefits for sooo much trouble.
« Last Edit: 15:00, 26 October 16 by Targhan »

Offline roudoudou

• 464 Plus
    • urban exploration
« Reply #89 on: 15:12, 26 October 16 »

It is probably possible to do like you say if you are able to start the writing of your unique sector in "mid" track. I know a real-cpc technique to do that, but an Amiga may be able to do it more simply. So let's pretend you can shift sectors like I did for Orion Prime and Imperial Mahjong, but for size-6 sectors.

BUT: even if you have a nice track layout, since you actually encode more data than needed (because size 6), you will read real data + garbage data. So there won't be, I think, any gain of speed. Unless you stop reading after a certain amount of read data (by provoking an overrun), but then it's really not clean.

That's exactly my point, shift sector 6 and do not read more than 6000 bytes. I tried this on a CPC (format+write+read) by using read track command but it seems that there is not the same FDC bug like on the Atari ST. So the read command fail with the wrong format bit set as my 12 zero synchro bytes are not corrects...

So to sum up: it's nice for the technical challenge, but I don't think you will have real benefits for sooo much trouble.

Of course, it's a technical challenge  ;D

repeat
call code
call sleep
call eat
until alive==1