News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

La abadia del crimen in English?

Started by Gryzor, 09:37, 11 February 11

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

The new introduction is inserted.

About the missing letters, I'll need a good soul to draw them, if we can insert them back.

characters used in the new english intro
- , : . ' 1 2 3 7 a A b B c d D e f F g h H i I J k l L m M n o O p P r s S t T u v w W y z

From what I glanced of the ending, it should add ; j q x E to the list of used characters.

Characters used in the intro that are missing from the game
' w B F I W
ñ is drawn instead of w

included characters in the game: a-z, ñ/w A C D E G H J L M S T Y

included characters unused in the english intro/ending : C E G Y
These could be re-purposed to become B F I W
Which means we only have the apostrophe to fit somewhere.

I may be able to use one of these?
"este caracter no está en la tabla y es una 'm' un poco distinta de la 'm' que muestra"
"??? caracter irreconocible"
"???"

The important bit: I need glyphs for ' w B F I W.

robcfg

Here you have the texts of the intro and ending scrolls.

I still need to check that the text formatting of the intro fits the scroll, but the ending one is ok.

I've converted them to binary and reversed them so you can load them straight away.

As for the letters, they are encoded as a series of points that must be drawn in order to give the illusion of being written. Some glyphs like w and W can be done by mirroring m and M, but others have to be done from scratch.

It can be done, but will take some time.

khaz

Thanks! I had already done the intro, but I'm glad to see that we have the exact same text ;) I had to make slightly shorter lines, as the space is very large in that font. there have been a line or two where I would have liked to have a space that is a pixel or two thinner so that I could fit a word better. I think it would also allow for better reading.

I'll be incorporating the ending now, thank you.

The in-game dialogues don't seem to be direct quotes from the book (or I failed to locate them), so they will need a proper translation by a Spanish/English team :)

||C|-|E||

I can take care of those if somebody sends them to me  :)

robcfg

If we are lucky and the in-game dialogs are stored as a table of pointers and an array of indexes into the dictionary, we should be able to extract all sentences, translate them and generate a new dictionary.

The amount of data that is included in the game is staggering!

khaz

Quote from: robcfg on 22:45, 09 October 17
If we are lucky and the in-game dialogs are stored as a table of pointers and an array of indexes into the dictionary, we should be able to extract all sentences, translate them and generate a new dictionary.

The amount of data that is included in the game is staggering!

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 22:25, 09 October 17
I can take care of those if somebody sends them to me  :)

It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/la-abadia-del-crimen-in-english/msg150060/#msg150060
third quote

The in game dialogues were all extracted some time ago, and provided along with a lot of other stuff earlier in the thread.

robcfg

Ok, this means it's too late so let's call it a day.  :picard:

khaz

The ending is in!

Of course I can't know if the inclusion is bug-free, but at least it should roll fine.

||C|-|E||

I will post here the in-game texts when they are translated  :) I expect them to be in correct English, but maybe they will benefit from some editing to make them more "old style".

khaz

Dialogue W is back in, no more Ñ. Dialogue ' replaces ¿, shows up as @ on a PC.

Trying to understand how the scroll characters are encoded but no luck so far.

robcfg

Hi,

I'm taking a look at creating the missing glyphs:

[attachimg=1]

Now, for the encoding, each byte contains x and y coordinates of the pixels in range 0 to 14, packed as yyyyxxxx.

For example, a dot at 5,9 will be encoded as 0x95.

The last byte has the y coord 0xF and the x coord is the number of pixels to the next letter. If it is 15 pixels, the last byte would be 0xFF.

I'll go on with the remaining missing glyphs.

khaz

Quote from: robcfg on 14:46, 10 October 17Now, for the encoding, each byte contains x and y coordinates of the pixels in range 0 to 14, packed as yyyyxxxx.

lol, I wouln't have figured that out.

I'll have a go at the w

[edit]
Now that's annoying. My w has four more hex values than the original ñ, but I can't make space for it. If I move the following stuff, the following letters (x, y, z) are not drawn correctly and the scroll text has added garbage on the start of its first line. The character segment is right after a "Track-Info" thing which I don't suppose I can touch either.

Here is my attempt at a w, but not in a dsk :(
[attachimg=1]
50 41 52 51 61 62 72 71 81 82 92 91 A1 A2 B2 B1 C2 C3 C4 55 65 66 76 75 85 86 96 95 A5 A6 B6 B5 C6 C7 59 5A 4A 5B 6A 69 79 7A 8A 89 99 9A A9 AA B9 B8 C8 FC
(It's just a touched up v)

https://livinghistorytodaywp.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/photos-for-lht-quill-pen-008.jpg

||C|-|E||

Ok guys, here are the texts  :) I am sure that you will find typos here and there and the style is not the nicest either. This is because I wanted to avoid using apostrophes and special characters in order to skip the creation of new glyphs and make the conversion as easy as possible. Feel free to change whatever needs to be modified, I am not a native English speaker after all. In some cases, I have written a couple of alternatives, with and without special characters  :)

SECRETUM FINIS AFRICAE, MANUS SUPRA XXX AGE PRIMUM ET SEPTIMUM DE QUATOR
(this is Latin, so no translation)

BIENVENIDO A ESTA ABADIA, HERMANO. OS RUEGO QUE ME SIGAIS. HA SUCEDIDO ALGO TERRIBLE
WELCOME TO THIS ABBEY, BROTHER. I BEG YOU TO FOLLOW ME. SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED.

TEMO QUE UNO DE LOS MONJES HA COMETIDO UN CRIMEN. OS RUEGO QUE LO ENCONTREIS ANTES DE QUE LLEGUE BERNARDO GUI, PUES   NO DESEO QUE SE MANCHE EL NOMBRE DE ESTA ABADIA.
I AM AFRAID THAT ONE OF THE MONKS HAS COMMITED A CRIME. I BEG YOU TO FIND HIM BEFORE BERNARD GUI ARRIVES IN ORDER TO AVOID TAINTING THE NAME OF THE ABBEY.

DEBEIS RESPETAR MIS ORDENES Y LAS DE LA ABADIA. ASISTIR A LOS OFICIOS Y A LA COMIDA. DE NOCHE DEBEIS ESTAR EN VUESTRA CELDA
YOU MUST FOLLOW MY COMMANDS AND THE ABBEY RULES, ATTEND THE RELIGIOUS SERVICES AND THE MEALS. DURING THE NIGHT YOU MUST STAY IN YOUR CELL.

DEJAD EL MANUSCRITO DE VENANCIO O ADVERTIRE AL  ABAD
THAT MANUSCRIPT BELONGS TO VENANCIO. DROP IT OR I WILL WARN THE ABBOT
DROP VENANCIO´S MANUSCRIPT OR I WILL WARN THE ABBOT

DADME EL MANUSCRITO, FRAY GUILLERMO
GIVE ME THE MANUSCRIPT, BROTHER WILLIAM

LLEGAIS TARDE, FRAY GUILLERMO
BROTHER WILLIAM, YOU ARE LATE

ESTA ES VUESTRA CELDA, DEBO IRME
THIS IS YOUR CELL. I MUST GO NOW
OS ORDENO QUE VENGAIS
I COMMAND YOU TO FOLLOW ME

DEBEIS ABANDONAR EDIFICIO, HERMANO
BROTHER, YOU MUST LEAVE THE ABBEY

ADVERTIRE AL ABAD
I WILL WARN THE ABBOT

DEBEMOS IR A LA IGLESIA, MAESTRO
WE MUST GO TO THE CHURCH, MASTER

DEBEMOS IR AL REFECTORIO, MAESTRO
WE MUST GO TO THE REFECTORY, MASTER

PODEIS IR A VUESTRAS CELDAS
YOU CAN GO TO YOUR CELLS

NO HABEIS RESPETADO MIS ORDENES. ABANDONAD PARA SIEMPRE ESTA ABADIA
YOU DID NOT FOLLOW MY COMMANDS. LEAVE THIS ABBEY FOREVER
YOU DID NOT RESPECT MY AUTHORITY. LEAVE THIS ABBEY FOREVER

ESCUCHAD HERMANO, HE ENCONTRADO UN EXTRAÑO LIBRO EN MI CELDA
LISTEN BROTHER, I HAVE FOUND A MOST STRANGE BOOK IN MY CELL

ENTRAD EN VUESTRA CELDA, FRAY GUILLERMO
ENTER IN YOUR CELL, BROTHER WILLIAM

HA LLEGADO BERNARDO, DEBEIS ABANDONAR LA INVESTIGACION
BERNARD IS HERE, YOU MUST DROP THE INQUIRY

¿DORMIMOS?, MAESTRO
MASTER, SHOULD WE REST?

DEBEMOS ENCONTRAR UNA LAMPARA, MAESTRO
MASTER, WE NEED AN OIL LAMP

VENID AQUI, FRAY GUILLERMO
COME HERE, BROTHER WILLIAM

HERMANOS, VENANCIO HA SIDO ASESINADO
BROTHERS, VENANCIO HAS BEEN MURDERED

DEBEIS SABER QUE LA BIBLIOTECA ES UN LUGAR SECRETO. SOLO MALAQUIAS PUEDE ENTRAR.
THE LIBRARY IS A SECRET PLACE, ONLY MALACHI HAS ACCESS TO IT.
PODEIS IROS
YOU MAY LEAVE

OREMOS
LET US PRAY

HERMANOS, BERENGARIO HA DESAPARECIDO. TEMO QUE SE HAYA COMETIDO OTRO CRIMEN
BROTHERS, BERENGUER IS MISSING. I AM AFRAID THAT ANOTHER CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITED.

PODEIS COMER, HERMANOS
BROTHERS, YOU MAY EAT

HERMANOS, HAN ENCONTRADO A BERENGARIO ASESINADO
BROTHERS, BERENGUER HAS BEEN FOUND MURDERED

VENID, FRAY GUILLERMO, DEBEMOS ENCONTRAR A SEVERINO
COME, BROTHER WILLIAM, WE MUST FIND SEVERINO

DIOS SANTO... HAN ASESINADO A SEVERINO Y LE HAN ENCERRADO
GOOD GOD, SEVERINO HAS BEEN MURDERED AND LOCKED HERE

BERNARDO ABANDONARA HOY LA ABADIA
BERNAD WILL LEAVE THE ABBEY TODAY

MAÑANA ABANDONAREIS LA ABADIA
YOU WILL LEAVE THE ABBEY TOMORROW

ERA VERDAD, TENIA EL PODER DE MIL ESCORPIONES
IT WAS TRUE, IT HAD THE POWER OF ONE THOUSAND SCORPIONS

MALAQUIAS HA MUERTO
MALACHY IS DEAD

SOIS VOS, GUILERMO... PASAD, OS ESTABA ESPERANDO. TOMAD, AQUI ESTA VUESTRO PREMIO
WILLIAM, IT IS YOU... COME, I WAS WATING. HERE IS YOUR REWARD

ESTAIS MUERTO, FRAY GUILLERMO, HABEIS CAIDO EN LA TRAMPA
YOU HAVE FALL INTO THE TRAP AND DEATH AWAITS YOU, BROTHER WILLIAM

VENERABLE JORGE, VOIS NO PODEIS VERLO, PERO MI MAESTRO LLEVA GUANTES.  PARA SEPARAR LOS FOLIOS TENDRIA QUE HUMEDECER LOS DEDOS EN LA LENGUA, HASTA QUE HUBIERA RECIBIDO SUFICIENTE VENENO
VENERABLE GEORGE, YOU CANNOT SEE IT BUT MY MASTER WEARS GLOVES. TO TURN THE PAGES HE WOULD HAVE TO MOISTEN HIS FINGERS WITH THE TONGE UNTIL THE DOSE OF POISON WAS HIGH ENOUGH

SE ESTA COMIENDO EL LIBRO, MAESTRO
MASTER, HE IS EATING THE TOME

DEBEIS ABANDONAR YA LA ABADIA
YOU MUST LEAVE THE ABBEY NOW

ES MUY EXTRAÑO, HERMANO GUILLERMO. BERENGARIO TENIA MANCHAS NEGRAS EN LA LENGUA Y EN LOS DEDOS
IT IS ODD, BROTHER WILLIAM, BUT BERENGUER HANDS AND TONGUE WERE COVERED IN BLACK SPOTS

PRONTO AMANECERA, MAESTRO
DAWN WILL SOON BE, MASTER

LA LAMPARA SE AGOTA
THE LAMP IS RUNNING OUT OF OIL

HABEIS ENTRADO EN MI CELDA
YOU HAVE INVADED MY CELL

SE HA AGOTADO LA LAMPARA
THE LAMP IS OUT OF OIL

JAMAS CONSEGUIREMOS SALIR DE AQUÍ
WE WILL NEVER MANAGE TO ESCAPE

ESPERAD, HERMANO
BROTHER, WAIT

OCUPAD VUESTRO SITIO, FRAY GUILLERMO
TAKE YOUR PLACE, BROTHER WILLIAM

ES EL COENA CIPRIANI DE ARISTOTELES. AHORA COMPRENDEREIS POR QUE TENIA QUE PROTEGERLO. CADA PALABRA ESCRITA POR EL FILOSOFO HA DESTRUIDO UNA PARTE DEL SABER DE LA CRISTIANDAD. SE QUE HE ACTUADO SIGUIENDO LA VOLUNTAD DEL SEÑOR... LEEDLO, PUES, FRAY GUILLERMO. DESPUES TE LO MOSTRATE A TI MUCHACHO
THIS TOME, WRITTEN BY ARISTOTLE, IS THE COENA CIPRIANI. NOW YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY I HAD TO PROTECT IT. EACH WORD WRITTEN BY THE PHILOSOPHER HAS DESTROYED A TAD OF THE CHRISTIAN KNOWLEDGE. MY ACTIONS ARE THE WILL OF THE LORD... READ IT, BROTHER WILLIAM. I WILL SHOW IT TO YOU LATER BOY

FUE UNA BUENA IDEA ¿VERDAD?; PERO YA ES TARDE
IT WAS A GOOD IDEA... BUT IT IS TOO LATE NOW

QUIERO QUE CONOZCAIS AL HOMBRE MAS VIEJO Y SABIO DE LA ABADIA
NOW YOU WILL MEET THE WISEST AND OLDEST MAN IN THE ABBEY

VENERABLE JORGE, EL QUE ESTA ANTE VOS ES FRAY GUILLERMO, NUESTRO HUESPED
VENERABLE GEORGE, THE MAN STANDING BEFORE YOU IS BROTHER WILLIAM, OUR GUEST

SED BIENVENIDO, VENERABLE HERMANO; Y ESCUCHAD LO QUE OS DIGO. LAS VIAS DEL ANTICRISTO SON LENTAS Y TORTUOSAS. LLEGA CUANDO MENOS LO ESPERAS. NO DESPERDICIEIS LOS ULTIMOS DIAS
YOU ARE VERY WELCOME, VENERABLE BROTHER; LISTEN TO MY WORDS. THEY WAYS OF THE ANTICHRIST ARE SLOW AND DEVIOUS. HE COMES WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT. DO NOT WASTE YOUR LAST DAYS.

LO SIENTO, VENERABLE HERMANO, NO PODEIS SUBIR A LA BIBLIOTECA
I AM SORRY, VENERABLE BROTHER, BUT THE LIBRARY IS OUT OF ACCESS

SI LO DESEAIS, BERENGARIO OS MOSTRARA EL SCRIPTORIUM
BERENGUER CAN SHOW YOU THE SCRIPTORIUM, IF YOU WISH

AQUI TRABAJAN LOS MEJORES COPISTAS DE OCCIDENTE
THE BEST WESTERN SCRIBES WORK HERE

AQUI TRABAJABA VENACIO
VENANCIO WORKS HERE

VENERABLE HERMANO, SOY SEVERINO, EL ENCARGADO DEL HOSPITAL. QUIERO ADVERTIROS QUE EN ESTA ABADIA SUCEDEN COSAS MUY EXTRAÑAS. ALGUIEN NO QUIERE QUE LOS MONJES DECIDAN POR SI SOLOS LO QUE DEBEN SABER
VENERABLE BROTHER, I AM SEVERINO, RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HOSPITAL. I MUST WARN YOU, VERY STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN IN THIS ABBEY. SOMEBODY WANTS TO DECIDE WHAT THE MONKS MUST AND MUST NOT KNOW

:-*

Gryzor

Whoa, some work there...

Wouldn't it be better to have it somewhere where people could edit it, like a Google Doc or something?

||C|-|E||

Yes... but I am at work now and I cannot do it at the moment  :-X  Feel free to upload everything somewhere  :D

khaz

Damn, that's great! I've put the apostrophe back in, so it can be used.

punctuation signs allowed:

colon :
semicolon ;
comma ,
period .
question mark ?
apostrophe '

robcfg

Excelent work with the translation!

I've spotted a few typos and I've checked the names in the book, which are as follows:

Adelmo, Berengar, Jorge, Malachi, Severinus and Venantius.

I changed my W a little bit, and I also have it on the format expected by the game.

Going on with the rest of the glyphs!

||C|-|E||

Great! I did not read the book, so I did not know the real names  :laugh: . I used either the Spanish ones or a plain English translation, but not the latin originals, something that actually makes much more sense  :) Now that we can use the apostrophe, there are a few sentences that may be re-written using it and they will sound a bit more natural, but less formal too.

khaz

Quote from: robcfg on 14:37, 11 October 17Going on with the rest of the glyphs!

@robcfg I made this thing yesterday, it may be of use
you input the hex in the "read" tab to draw a glyph
you put your coordinates in the "draw" tab to make the hex values.

(I don't even know if it will work properly on a non-French computer, libreoffice translates all the function names)

khaz

Small update, I forgot to translate the vespers and compline.

khaz

apostrophe and w in the rolling test! might be buggy

khaz

It was indeed bugged. glyphs has been corrected, text is restored.

I'm getting better at moving stuff around and modifying pointers. Counting in hex is a pain, especially as the dsk is upside down and therefore none of the addresses in the source code are accurate, or can have maths done to it. I removed a supposedly unused character (described as such in the source) to make some space for the apostrophe, the extra pixels in the w and in the future capitals, but I just found where the pointer for the introduction text was, so I may revert that and move the text instead. Depending how big the new capitals are and how lazy I am to move about 50 pointers.

dlfrsilver

robcfg

Yes and no.

The disk version uses 128Kb and the tape version, 64Kb at the cost of two rooms which are included in the 128Kb version.

It's more convenient to use the 128Kb version, as it has room for adding new data without having to relocate all existing data to accommodate the new one.

khaz

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 23:00, 12 October 17
the game use only 64kb.

I don't know what you're trying to say.

Remember I'm not a programmer, it's the first time I'm doing something like that. I'm like changing bytes that looked like letters and watching the game changing as a result.
So far I'm lucky enough that stuff seems to work, though I'm dreading the time I'll have to implement the in-game dialogues and the so-called dictionary.

Quote from: robcfg on 00:01, 13 October 17
It's more convenient to use the 128Kb version, as it has room for adding new data without having to relocate all existing data to accommodate the new one.

Damn lol, that's exactly what I'm doing :(

Wouldn't it break stuff if I start adding data in random empty spaces? Or at least increase the loading times? I'm trying to keep everything together, even if it means moving a bunch of data a few bytes down and modifying all the corresponding pointers.