News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

La abadia del crimen in English?

Started by Gryzor, 09:37, 11 February 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

I read in the latest RetroGamer that La Abadia has been released in english for the MSX (fan translation, of course). Since this looks like an awesome game I was wondering if we could use the english translation in any meaningful ways to port it to the CPC? Dunno, maybe by disk-editing the MSX image?

Any thoughts?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:37, 11 February 11
Hello guys,

I read in the latest RetroGamer that La Abadia has been released in english for the MSX (fan translation, of course). Since this looks like an awesome game I was wondering if we could use the english translation in any meaningful ways to port it to the CPC? Dunno, maybe by disk-editing the MSX image?

Any thoughts?
Yes I thought the same, but editing the cpc disk with the english translations ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Any Spanish friends in here who maybe know someone involved in the project? Maybe they could provide us with a resource file...?

SyX

Well, for the case of the parchment (intro and outro) or the info about the percent of game completed, there is no problem in the translation (how you can see in the snapshots for winape that i have attached), but not all the characters are in the font, because that instead of the"w" (a rare letter in spanish) is the "ñ" and that it's the reason of the corrupt red uppercase characters, too.

For the messages that appear during the game, there is a list with the words (encoded how the RSXs in CPC, last letter + $80) and other with the words that make up all the sentences. In  the msx, they patched for printing the full sentences storaged in ascii. You can find a disassembly of the cpc version with comments (in spanish  :P ) here.

I have attached a zip, with two (one with the parchments and the "info game over screen" with the msx english text) snapshots made in winape from the original 128KB version, the english translation of the instructions from the WOS and a few memory dumps with the CPC and the MSX texts. If somebody want to try, go on... in other case, you will have to wait  a few months (more or less  :D ) when i have finished all my projects  ;)

Gryzor

Hmmm thanks for all the info!

Is there anyone with the technical ability to help (modify the font perhaps, patch the game)? I'm willing to do the legwork if needed...

jbaudrand

any news?
I never played this game (don't speak spanish) and it look like an awesome cpc game!!

Puresox

It Does look an epic game , but looks a little repetitive and samey , I'd love to find out it is not.
Another Game that looks epic is 'Iron Lord'? is that French only?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Puresox on 21:10, 07 December 12
It Does look an epic game , but looks a little repetitive and samey , I'd love to find out it is not.
Another Game that looks epic is 'Iron Lord'? is that French only?
I believe an English version of Iron Lord was planned, but never released?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

I know it appeared in that "overseas games" special in AA but I'm not sure they mentioned something like that...

MacDeath

IronLord by UBIsoft (1989)
Back in 1989 this was a very different time for the european Video Games industry...
I was before the Maastricht treaty so it was hard to have those "big games with lots of text" into international versions.

UBIsoft was just a French company, not the big international megacorpo it is nowadays.

I guess we can even see the gap between before and after the treaty.

UK's magazines (which one ?) even did some articles on this at the time.
Can someone hack into Iron Lord to see if changing the texts would be easier than for Abadia del Crimen ?

Amiga, ST and 16bit versins seems to have an English version.
C64 too.

Perhaps the CPC disk market was judged too small in other countries than France, remember that the Disk was mostly a French speciality.

C64 and Speccy were sold by huge millions elsewhere than in France.
And CPC in Spain or UK were most often 464 than 6128.

Being a big game in 2 complete 3" disk meant the game was expensive to sell (those disk were like 3x to 4x more expensive than 3"1/2 Floppies)
Not sure the game needs 128K though.

khaz

This is a five years bump. Maybe someone will be inspired?

Obviously the demand to play the game in English has slow down thanks to the availability of the modern remake, but I'm sure many people wish to experience it on their CPC, where it all began. I know I do. The game has cult status in Spain, surely it's not for nothing.

So that it's not a completely useless bump, here's a little something to use with a 3.5 disk calendar case:

[attach=2]

Gryzor

Thanks for the lovely cover, khaz (a bit ironic that it's in Spanish, but ok :D ).

I think people just gave up hope basically. Yes you can play the remake, but of course it's another thing to have the original and be able to play it...

robcfg

It's not an easy task.

You have to define the letters missing from the font to draw the scroll at the beginning and end of the game and translate the texts. That would be the easy part.

Putting everything back together so that it fits, that's another thing...

Gryzor

...or do what I did as a kid: open the disk in Discology and overwrite the Spanish texts in cold blood :D

||C|-|E||

I thought about it long ago. I mean, translating the texts and manual would be easy (I could do it if somebody dumps the original texts) but, as robcfg points out, fitting everything in the program in a proper way would be quite complicate.  BTW, the PDF attached is nice but there is quite a big spelling mistake on it: it is "herejía", not "heregía"  :-X

khaz

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:21, 06 October 17
Thanks for the lovely cover, khaz (a bit ironic that it's in Spanish, but ok :D ).

Ha, thanks, there's no point in making an English one as there is no translation yet ;)

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:38, 06 October 17
...or do what I did as a kid: open the disk in Discology and overwrite the Spanish texts in cold blood :D

That's what I was thinking about. English is more concise than Spanish, it's certainly one way of doing it.

I wanted to contact the MSX guy who did it, but he posted as anonymous and the link to their website is dead.

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 12:17, 06 October 17BTW, the PDF attached is nice but there is quite a big spelling mistake on it: it is "herejía", not "heregía"  :-X

I'm going to check that right away! I don't know Spanish (obviously) and just copied the original text as best as I could. There probably other mistakes, especially on the accents that were a pain to input on my non-Spanish keyboard :p

[edit] and what do you know, the spelling mistake comes right from the back of the original box! I'll correct it any way.
http://cpcrulez.fr/GamesCovers/La_Abadia_Del_Crimen.jpg

dragon

-Delete the bank of the editor. Store all english text in this bank.
-change de text point table to point these bank.
-intercept the write subrutines first when was called mount the bank in a place the game not used at this moment.
-after subrutine finished reverse bank configuration.

Or best as gryzor tells change it with hex editor.

khaz

Identifying and replacing the introduction text was indeed easy. It took me a while to realise that the entire text was mirrored though haha

Peeking at the dsk in Hex, I can see three blocks of text:
QuoteYa al final de mi♪vida de pecador, mien-♪tras espero el mo-♪mento de perderme en♪el abismo sin fondo de♪la divinidad desierta y♪silenciosa; en esta♪celda de mi querido♪monasterio de Melk,♪donde aun me retiene♪mi cuerpo pesado y♪enfermo, me dispongo♪a dejar constancia en♪este pergamino de los♪hechos asombrosos y♪terribles que me fue♪dado presenciar en mi♪juventud.♪♪ El Sewor me conce-♪de la gracia de dar♪fiel testimonio de los♪acontecimientos que se♪produjeron en la aba-♪dia cuyo nombre in-♪cluso conviene ahora♪cubrir con un piadoso♪manto de silencio; ha-♪cia finales de 1327,♪cuando mi padre deci-♪dio que acompawara a♪fray Guillermo de ♪Occam, sabio francis-♪cano que estaba a♪punto de iniciar una♪mision en el desem-♪pewo de la cual to-♪caria muchas ciuda-♪des famosas y aba-♪dias antiquisimas. Asi♪fue como me conver-♪ti al mismo tiempo en♪su amanuense y dis-♪cipulo; y no tuve que♪arrepentirme, porque♪con el fui testigo de♪acontecimientos dignos♪de ser registrados,♪para memoria de los♪que vengan despues.♪♪ Asi, mientras con♪los dias iba conocien-♪do mejor a mi maes-♪tro, llegamos a las♪faldas del monte don-♪de se levantaba la♪abadia. Y ya es hora♪de que, como nosotros♪entonces, a ella se♪acerque mi relato, y♪ojala mi mano no♪tiemble cuando me♪dispongo a narrar lo♪que sucedio despues...♪♪♪♪♪♪autor: ♪    Paco Menendez♪♪graficos y caratula: ♪    Juan Delcan♪♪copyright:♪    Opera Soft♪

QuoteYa al final de mi♪vida de pecador, mien-♪tras espero el mo-♪mento de perderme en♪el abismo sin fondo de♪la divinidad desierta y♪silenciosa; en esta♪celda de mi querido♪monasterio de Melk,♪donde aun me retiene♪mi cuerpo pesado y♪enfermo, me dispongo♪a dejar constancia en♪este pergamino de los♪hechos asombrosos y♪terribles que me fue♪dado presenciar en mi♪juventud.♪♪ El Sewor me conce-♪de la gracia de dar♪fiel testimonio de los♪acontecimientos que se♪produjeron en la aba-♪dia cuyo nombre in-♪cluso conviene ahora♪cubrir con un piadoso♪manto de silencio; ha-♪cia finales de 1327,♪cuando mi padre deci-♪dio que acompawara a♪fray Guillermo de ♪Occam, sabio francis-♪ca

QuoteDesfigurado por la♪angustia, por el aco-♪so del veneno que ya♪serpenteaba abundante♪por sus venas, el♪otrora venerable ros-♪tro del anciano se♪veia repulsivo y gro-♪tesco.♪ Habriamos podido♪atraparlo con calma,♪pero nos precipitamos♪con vehemencia sobre♪el. Logro zafarse y♪apreto el libro contra♪su pecho para defen-♪derlo. Yo lo tenia co-♪gido con la mano iz-♪quierda, mientras con♪la derecha trataba de♪mantener en alto la♪lampara. Pero roce♪su rostro con la lla-♪ma y emitio un so-♪nido ahogado, casi un♪rugido, dejando caer♪trozos de folio por♪la boca. Su mano♪derecha solto el li-♪bro, busco la lampa-♪ra y, de un golpe, me♪la arranco lanzandola♪hacia adelante...♪ Se derramo el acei-♪te, y en seguida el♪fuego prendio en el♪pergamino que ardio♪como un haz de hor-♪nija reseca. Todo su-♪cedio en pocos instan-♪tes; una llamarada se♪elevo desde los libros,♪como si aquellas pa-♪ginas milenarias lle-♪varan siglos esperan-♪do quemarse y goza-♪ran al satisfacer de♪pronto una sed inme-♪morial de ecpirosis.♪ La abadia ardio du-♪rante tres dias y tres♪noches y de nada va-♪lieron los ultimos es-♪fuerzos.  Al tercer♪dia, curados los heri-♪dos, enterrados los♪cadaveres que habian♪quedado fuera de los♪edificios, los monjes♪y el resto de los po-♪bladores de la abadia♪recogieron sus perte-♪nencias y abandonaron♪la meseta, que aun♪humeaba, como un lu-♪gar maldito.♪ Guillermo y yo nos♪alejamos de aquel pa-♪raje en dos cabalga-♪duras que encontramos♪por el bosque. Cuando♪llegamos a  Munich♪tuve que separarme,♪no sin derramar♪abundantes lagrimas,♪de mi buen maestro.♪Despues de darme♪muchos buenos con-♪sejos para mis fu-♪turos estudios, me♪estrecho entre sus♪brazos, con la ter-♪nura de un padre, y♪me dijo adios. Jamas♪volvi a verlo.♪ Ahora, ya en el um-♪bral de la muerte,♪cuanto mas releo la♪historia que de ello ha♪resultado, menos se♪si esta contiene o no♪una trama distinguible♪de la mera sucesion♪natural de los aconte-♪cimientos y de los♪momentos que los re-♪lacionan entre si. Y♪es duro para este♪viejo monje no saber♪si la letra que ha es-♪crito contiene o no♪algun sentido oculto,♪ni si contiene mas de♪uno, o muchos, o nin-♪guno.♪ Pero quizas esta♪incapacidad sea pro-♪ducto de la sombra♪que la gran tiniebla♪que se aproxima, pro-♪yecta  sobre  este♪mundo ya viejo.♪ Hace frio en el♪scriptorium, me duele♪el pulgar. Dejo este♪texto, no se para♪quien, este texto, que♪ya no se de que ha-♪bla.♪

The first one is the intro, the second one is part of the intro ???, and the last one I don't know. The ending maybe?

I replaced the first one with the text from The Abbey of Crime Extensum, it fits with a bunch of space left for more text, but some characters are missing: the apostrophe, I, W, F, and the w is replaced by a ñ. I didn't check for more.

I'm not a fan of that translation tbh. There were a couple of spelling mistakes that I corrected and I don't know, it doesn't flow very well. It reads like a translated text.

||C|-|E||

The last one is definitely the ending of the game  :)

khaz

Yep, I figured it out after running it into google translate. It shows in the same parchment effect as the intro, so it will be easy to tweak it to fit in.

I changed a couple of stuff, the few things that I could find that appears in plain text:  the prayer times, and the game over screen. Though I couldn't figure out how to move the percent number to fit better. To see it just walk to the guy and put the emulator in fast-forward mode.

Now I'm left with that:

QuoteSECRE╘U═FINI╙AFRICA┼MANU╙SUPR┴AA┴IDOLU═AG┼PRI═E╘SEPTI═D┼QUATUO╥BIE╬VENI─╧┴ES╘ABADI┴HERMAN╧O╙RUEG╧QU┼M┼SI╟AI╙H┴SUCE─ID╧ALG╧TERRIBL┼TEM╧U╬LO╙MONJ┼╙CO═CRIME╬L╧ENCONT╥EI╙ANT┼LLEG╒┼BERNARD╧GU╔PU┼N╧S┼MANC╚E╠NOMBR┼DE┬RESPE╘A╥M╔ORDE╬E╙┘LA╙L┴ASISTI╥OFICIO╙ID┴NOCH┼E╬VUEST╥CELD┴DEJA─MANUSCRIT╧VENANCI╧ADVERTI╥A╠ABA─DA─FRA┘GUILLERM╧LLE╟TARD┼I╥VEN╟ABANDO╬EDIFICI╧EMO╙IGLESI┴MAESTR╧REFECTORI╧PO─A╙HABEI╙AD╧ORDENE╙A─PAR┴SIEMPR┼ESCUCHA─H┼EXTRA╫LIBR╧ENT╥INVESTIGACIO╬DORMIMO╙UN┴LAMPAR┴AQU╔SID╧ASESI╬SABE╥BIBLIOTEC┴LUGA╥SOL╧MALAQUIA╙O╥BERENGARI╧DESAPARECID╧HALL┴OTR╧E╥HA╬SEVERIN╧DIO╙SANT╧L┼CER╥HO┘MAWAN┴VE╥TENI┴MI╠ESCORPIONE╙MUERT╧SOI╙VO╙PASA─AB┴ESPE╥AND╧TOMA─PREMI╧CAID╧TRAMP┴VENERABL┼JORG┼PER╧LLEV┴GUANTE╙SEPARA╥FOLIO╙TENDRI┴HUMEDECE╥DEDO╙LENGU┴HAST┴HUBIER┴RECIBID╧SUFICIENT┼VENEN╧IEND╧MU┘NEGRA╙PRONT╧AMANE├ER┴AGO╘JAMA╙CONSEGUI╥SALI╥OCUPA─SITI╧COEN┴CIPRIAN╔ARISTOTELE╙AHOR┴COMPRENDEREI╙PO╥PROTEGERL╧CAD┴PALABR┴ESCRIT┴FILOSOF╧DESTRUID╧PART┼DE╠CRISTIANDA─ACTUAD╧SIGUIEND╧VOLUNTA─SEWO╥LEEDL╧DESPUE╙T┼MOSTRA╥T╔MUCHACH╧FU┼BUEN┴IDE┴QUIER╧CONOZ├HOMBR┼MA╙VIEJ╧SABI╧NUESTR╧HUESPE─SE─VENID╧DIG╧VIA╙ANTICRIST╧SO╬LENTA╙TORTUOSA╙LLEG┴CUAND╧MENO╙DESPERDICIEI╙ULTIMO╙DIA╙SIENT╧SUBI╥S╔DES┼SCRIPTORIU═TRABA╩A╬MEJORE╙COPISTA╙OCCIDENT┼SO┘ENCARGAD╧HOSPITA╠EST┴SUCEDE╬COSA╙ALGUIE╬QUIER┼DECIDA╬

Which is like, a table, and there are strings that refer to it to make complete sentences? I don't know how to progress further, I need you guys help.

dragon

Quote from: khaz on 00:36, 09 October 17
Yep, I figured it out after running it into google translate. It shows in the same parchment effect as the intro, so it will be easy to tweak it to fit in.

I changed a couple of stuff, the few things that I could find that appears in plain text:  the prayer times, and the game over screen. Though I couldn't figure out how to move the percent number to fit better. To see it just walk to the guy and put the emulator in fast-forward mode.

Now I'm left with that:

Which is like, a table, and there are strings that refer to it to make complete sentences? I don't know how to progress further, I need you guys help.

The abadia 128k is fully disasemble and commented, so you can know where are all words, where are the missing letters and every you need know:

http://www.abadiadelcrimen.com/download/abadia_z80_dasm.zip

The complete phrase are:SECRETUM FINISH AFRICAE, MANUS SUPRA XXX AGE PRIMUM ET SEPTIMUM DE QUATOR

Latin

khaz

Quote from: dragon on 00:43, 09 October 17

The abadia 128k is fully disasemble and commented, so you can know where are all words, where are the missing letters and every you need know:

http://www.abadiadelcrimen.com/download/abadia_z80_dasm.zip

EVERYTHING IS IN SPANISH

EVERYTHING IS IN COMPUTERISH

dragon

You are traslating from spanish-> english in teory you need know spanish. :D

But i think is more simple your hex editor ascii table is diferent o the abadia ascii table, so the  hex editor changue the letter  with the equivalent simbol.

For example= is "a" or cross is "e" etc .

So simply copy the code of the caracter.

khaz

I DONT I JUST GIVE YOU GUYS SPANISH TEXTS TO TRANSLATE SO THAT I CAN PLAY THE GAME

Seriously, I just started to poke around in the dsk to see what was in, and found a bunch of text and tried to change it for fun.

But I'm not a computer guy, that archive you linked is fucking scary.

khaz

Wait, the damn text is the complete script? That's super short for a book adaptation lol
QuoteSECRE╘U═FINI╙AFRICA┼MANU╙SUPR┴AA┴IDOLU═AG┼PRI═E╘SEPTI═D┼QUATUO╥BIE╬VENI─╧┴ES╘ABADI┴HERMAN╧O╙RUEG╧QU┼M┼SI╟AI╙H┴SUCE─ID╧ALG╧TERRIBL┼TEM╧U╬LO╙MONJ┼╙CO═CRIME╬L╧ENCONT╥EI╙ANT┼LLEG╒┼BERNARD╧GU╔PU┼N╧S┼MANC╚E╠NOMBR┼DE┬RESPE╘A╥M╔ORDE╬E╙┘LA╙L┴ASISTI╥OFICIO╙ID┴NOCH┼E╬VUEST╥CELD┴DEJA─MANUSCRIT╧VENANCI╧ADVERTI╥A╠ABA─DA─FRA┘GUILLERM╧LLE╟TARD┼I╥VEN╟ABANDO╬EDIFICI╧EMO╙IGLESI┴MAESTR╧REFECTORI╧PO─A╙HABEI╙AD╧ORDENE╙A─PAR┴SIEMPR┼ESCUCHA─H┼EXTRA╫LIBR╧ENT╥INVESTIGACIO╬DORMIMO╙UN┴LAMPAR┴AQU╔SID╧ASESI╬SABE╥BIBLIOTEC┴LUGA╥SOL╧MALAQUIA╙O╥BERENGARI╧DESAPARECID╧HALL┴OTR╧E╥HA╬SEVERIN╧DIO╙SANT╧L┼CER╥HO┘MAWAN┴VE╥TENI┴MI╠ESCORPIONE╙MUERT╧SOI╙VO╙PASA─AB┴ESPE╥AND╧TOMA─PREMI╧CAID╧TRAMP┴VENERABL┼JORG┼PER╧LLEV┴GUANTE╙SEPARA╥FOLIO╙TENDRI┴HUMEDECE╥DEDO╙LENGU┴HAST┴HUBIER┴RECIBID╧SUFICIENT┼VENEN╧IEND╧MU┘NEGRA╙PRONT╧AMANE├ER┴AGO╘JAMA╙CONSEGUI╥SALI╥OCUPA─SITI╧COEN┴CIPRIAN╔ARISTOTELE╙AHOR┴COMPRENDEREI╙PO╥PROTEGERL╧CAD┴PALABR┴ESCRIT┴FILOSOF╧DESTRUID╧PART┼DE╠CRISTIANDA─ACTUAD╧SIGUIEND╧VOLUNTA─SEWO╥LEEDL╧DESPUE╙T┼MOSTRA╥T╔MUCHACH╧FU┼BUEN┴IDE┴QUIER╧CONOZ├HOMBR┼MA╙VIEJ╧SABI╧NUESTR╧HUESPE─SE─VENID╧DIG╧VIA╙ANTICRIST╧SO╬LENTA╙TORTUOSA╙LLEG┴CUAND╧MENO╙DESPERDICIEI╙ULTIMO╙DIA╙SIENT╧SUBI╥S╔DES┼SCRIPTORIU═TRABA╩A╬MEJORE╙COPISTA╙OCCIDENT┼SO┘ENCARGAD╧HOSPITA╠EST┴SUCEDE╬COSA╙ALGUIE╬QUIER┼DECIDA╬

Why are they using letters and sometimes symboles I don't get. Like wtf is happening in BIE╬VENI─╧ and why not using the regular values for NDO to make BIENVENIDO

And why is everything backwards in the dsk??