News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Lemmings! Need help with a level!

Started by Xyphoe, 18:45, 06 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Metr

;)

Puresox

rexbeng

Ooooh, Metr you little devil, you!  8)

So, where did you buy those 4 secs from?

rb

Metr

just build the first ladder, second lenming dig hole.  you have time to dig enough and put tjat lemming to build a bridge so it stops. it should be enough to stop and the third lemming cant get out. move to the first one, when he builds, he puts a "floor" and then he steps up, you should put him at that moment to cave horizontal so he doesnt break that piece of ladder and he has the perfect time to step at the spike. Make him to cave horizontal through the spike where you can see at the snapshot. there's a moment he goes up and stop digging (just a milisecond), put him to build ladder. Then you are done. make the lemming go out at 99 speed and go oh building a ladder to the 2nd platform. when he's building the 4th and final ladder to the 2nd platform, go to the lemmings trapped at the hole. Put the cursor at the left side wlof the hole next to it so you convert the cursor on square and wait for the timer to be 58 secs. Build a ladder and make sure you see one lemming building to the right. Time to go back to the first lemming, he should be arriving to the 2nd platform. To gain a time, wait for him to put the final step of the ladder, go up on it and cave horizontal so he gains the time that he usually stops and you should be om thr platform. Build another bridge for the last gap, and pray for it to be the the correct timing so the other lemming arrives when he's putting the steps that fits with the distance of the gap and all of them can pass to the exit. Put the lemming building ladderto cave horizontal so he stops building and go to the exit elwith the others and you should be able to rescue all in the last second (or pray for it to be 19 of them). Hope it works!

Xyphoe

Quick reply because I'm in a rush!

That's awesome mate!!!! Well done - gonna try it out later tonight :)

:) :) :)

Xyphoe

Quote from: Metr on 17:38, 11 April 12
just build the first ladder, second lenming dig hole.  you have time to dig enough and put tjat lemming to build a bridge so it stops. it should be enough to stop and the third lemming cant get out. move to the first one, when he builds, he puts a "floor" and then he steps up, you should put him at that moment to cave horizontal so he doesnt break that piece of ladder and he has the perfect time to step at the spike. Make him to cave horizontal through the spike where you can see at the snapshot. there's a moment he goes up and stop digging (just a milisecond), put him to build ladder. Then you are done. make the lemming go out at 99 speed and go oh building a ladder to the 2nd platform. when he's building the 4th and final ladder to the 2nd platform, go to the lemmings trapped at the hole. Put the cursor at the left side wlof the hole next to it so you convert the cursor on square and wait for the timer to be 58 secs. Build a ladder and make sure you see one lemming building to the right. Time to go back to the first lemming, he should be arriving to the 2nd platform. To gain a time, wait for him to put the final step of the ladder, go up on it and cave horizontal so he gains the time that he usually stops and you should be om thr platform. Build another bridge for the last gap, and pray for it to be the the correct timing so the other lemming arrives when he's putting the steps that fits with the distance of the gap and all of them can pass to the exit. Put the lemming building ladderto cave horizontal so he stops building and go to the exit elwith the others and you should be able to rescue all in the last second (or pray for it to be 19 of them). Hope it works!

Hi Metr,

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with the main builder.

He seems to be a nearly a whole bridge length short compared to you?

I released the lemmings at 58secs as you said and I've compared positioning. Where am I losing about 10-15secs worth at least on him?!
Sorry  :(

Metr

Sorry you can use this *.SNP for CPCE 1.90.
First lemming fall and died for just a little while, and last one used the exit, but didn't count. So it's only 18 saved but you can see how it works.
Regards !

Xyphoe

Thanks!

I look at that and think/see - I'm doing the same thing but my builder is still a few milliseconds too slow!

I improved by simply holding down the fire button on the builder to make him start the next bridge as quickly as possible, where as before I was hammering the fire button rapidly and it wasn't always successful. I've now got 12 lemmings saved ... but jeeeez.... am I fed up of this now!! Losing patience and the will to live with this sodding game!!

*edit* I just noticed you punched through the spike very slightly higher than I do, and have to use 2 x punch so maybe that might save a vital millisecond!

On the upside, I think I've cracked Mayhem 10 now which I mentioned earlier also has a silly time limit.
So if I can beat Mayhem7 and record it then we only have 5 levels to go...  which I haven't looked at yet!! lol!

robcfg

Don't despair when the finish line is so near!  :D

Xyphoe

Finally done it! 19 out of 20 - but that's enough to win the level!

Jeeez.... I did it by putting the emulator speed at 50% and timing the furthest possible points to build before falling off ledges etc. Now I need to do this at 100% and set a vid recording of it!!

Xyphoe

Yay! I've done it and vid recorded!

Plus Mayhem 10 done, found an easy way to beat it :)

Onto Mayhem 11 now ... only 5 levels to go! woohoo!

Xyphoe

OMFG.

Mayhem11 ... I did it and got all my required Lemmings to the exit with time to spare.... but none of them will go in the EXIT !!!

Check out the attachment below ... as you can see the first group of Lemmings and the first builder have completely walked passed the exit...

Bug???

Or planned design?

Regarding the latter... is this a hidden dip? If so then why isn't it in the Spectrum version! And there are no more builders left to perhaps build a small step - it's impossible to reach that exit without using all the builders!

??? ??? ???

Xyphoe

This is how I got there (see attachment)

I have 2 blockers either side of the entrance leaving 1 Lemming to build. I use a combination of punch and miner to cut short ladder builds to drop onto the lower rock below quicker to save lots of time.

I can't see anywhere you could save 1 builder though??! So I can use him to build a step where the exit is.

It does look like you can walk on the 'stars' there so maybe you can build to them.

Mayhem 11 Level code = BINNNFIIFM

robcfg

Hey man, this game is taking the life out of you...  :P

MaV

Quote from: robcfg on 08:41, 13 April 12
Hey man, this game is taking the life out of you...  :P

Yeah, I am beginning to wonder how a mere mortal will ever be able to finish the game, when our game gods Xyphoe and Metr are barely able to finish it.

Based on the facts the game should be declared broken, and someone release a version with better time limits.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Xyphoe

OK I've now completed the game.

But Mayhem 11 remains a problem.....

And guess what Mayhem 12 has the SAME EXIT ISSUE. I shit you not .... see below .... you can see some Lemmings have walked straight by the exit. Just in case the exit is too LOW I also dug just a little below it but that wasn't the issue.

Either the exit is BROKEN completely or you need to build a step up with a builder on both Mayhem 11 and 12 because it is too high ......... but you do not have any builders left. In fact, if there was a spare builder on Mayhem 12 it would mean the level would be too easy!

Unless Metr or anyone else can find any different - I'm declaring this a bug and broken therefore in need of a fix :(

Xyphoe

New test! You can poke at &247B a value for builders so I added one more at the end of the level and started him building.... PIC 1

... and AHH ... as the Lemmings climb the bridge they go into the exit! ... but sadly your builder will die as there's no way for him to turn back! ... PIC 2

Can someone take a look for the appropriate fix for Mayhem 11 and 12 please? It's like the EXIT has been set 'too high' - possibly bad level design and placement.

Either the EXIT needs to be lowered on both levels, or +1 builder on Mayhem 11 and +3 builders on Mayhem 12 (the 2 extra builders will allow the builder to continue to build up to the ceiling, hit his head and turn around and thus escape)

Many many thanks for whoever looks at this in advance!!

Metr

I'll take a look, on the way to work. But I recall that problem from other versions of the game, not sure atm but as you said I think building a step or caving should fix that, but if that's impossible it will be a problem :D
These cpc lemmings know how to find trouble!!

Xyphoe

Hi guys,

Is anyone taking a look at this at all?

Just to confirm re Mayhem 11 that also requires a 'step up' to get them in - see attachment!
(I used the poke to give me an extra builder as before and started building just before the exit)

My only other thought would be - could this be a bad dump? I'll try if I can find time on my real CPC.

Metr

I've been trying to find a way to save a ladder in several, but no luck for now! :(
Will try 2-3 things more but I don't think they'll work :D

Xyphoe

Quote from: Metr on 16:56, 16 April 12
I've been trying to find a way to save a ladder in several, but no luck for now! :(
Will try 2-3 things more but I don't think they'll work :D

I take it you've had no more joy with this dude? :(

Xyphoe

Just to confirm - this exit 'bug' is on the real disk version so it isn't a bad dump issue -

Amstrad Lemmings Bug!

I think I'm going to record the final part of this Lonplay using a poke to give me more builders for Mayhem 11 and 12 ... I hate to do this, but I've had enough of this saga now!!

Hopefully someone can do a fixed/patched version at some point, but I really don't want to wait any longer as it's holding up the other videos I want to do.

Xyphoe

OK! That's it! I'm done with this game and longplay!!!  :P

[AMSTRAD CPC] Lemmings - Longplay (Part 4 of 4 - MAYHEM Levels)

Thank you again for all your help, especially Metr and Puresox! Much appreciated again guys!! Cheers!!!  :)

Johnny Olsen

Hi

Is it  possible to make a ladder from the platform just below to the exit ?

johnny

Metr

Hmpf! Sorry didn't have time to check that lvl 11 ideas, but I think they won't work anyways.
I didn't checked lvl 12 but I have to say that unlikely lvl 11, it's so easy to save a ladder and finish it doing the trick you used.

I leave you the CPCe 1.90 SNP attached in case.

Sorry about that :/