News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Super Gran - New "Sh*t Game Time" video (+ PAWS longplay video)

Started by ZEUSDAZ, 03:46, 25 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEUSDAZ

Hi everyone and welcome to another edition of the Shit Game Time series.
This time I shit-rate Super Gran on the Amstrad CPC requested by youtuber "EgoChip", I hope you enjoy it.

Merry Xmas everyone!

Zeus

Shaun M. Neary

Oh I remember this bag of wank! I got it on a tape 'o crap back in 87 when I was trading. There is actually a knack to playing it

1) Turn the tune off by pressing enter otherwise it will get to your head quicker than a neat glass of vodka.
2) When the screen on level 1 has no opponents, stay low to the ground and in the centre. The enemies always come from above, so staying low means you've got time to position yourself. Level 2, you're rescuing the likes of the cats and carriages.

There's actually a level 3 and a level 4 as well before it restarts over again. Level 3 is a poor top down drive style game ala Spy Hunter, and Level 4 resembles something like Mario Bros or Chuckie Egg without ladders.

To answer your question, who would pay full price for it? Well anyone who didn't get AA or Amtix on a monthly basis. The Amstrad library was a bit thin on the shelf at the time this game was released, and oddly enough, Supergran was quite popular on Childrens ITV between 85 to mid 87 before they cancelled it. Kids won't know better, parents follow suit, especially if there's a game of their favourite kids show. (Personally, I thought it was utter rubbish myself), and it's not like you know what you're paying for when you're picking it off the shelf. The loading screen was actually promising, but when it finished loading, it was all downhill from there.

It was extremely frustrating to play, and only a real stubborn git would get past it. But there was very little enticing anyone to return to it.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Carnivius

I have this game on cassette.  It's very bad yeah.  I got it for free though when I got my 464 the shop gave me a bundle of free games by Tynesoft and Artic in addition to the Amsoft pack.  Some I quite enjoyed (I have a fondness for Paws) but yeah not so much this one. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Puresox

Quote from: Carnivius on 08:22, 25 December 16
I have this game on cassette.  It's very bad yeah.  I got it for free though when I got my 464 the shop gave me a bundle of free games by Tynesoft and Artic in addition to the Amsoft pack.  Some I quite enjoyed (I have a fondness for Paws) but yeah not so much this one. :P
Man I couldn't stand the show Super Gran, it reminded me of miserable Sunday afternoons . Not my thing one bit.
Paws! Bloody hell I haven't played that game in years ! You liked it did you? Did you manage to get anywhere in it? I am going to have to load it up again

Carnivius

Quote from: Puresox on 10:42, 25 December 16
Man I couldn't stand the show Super Gran, it reminded me of miserable Sunday afternoons . Not my thing one bit.
Paws! Bloody hell I haven't played that game in years ! You liked it did you? Did you manage to get anywhere in it? I am going to have to load it up again

yeah my sister and I used to play Paws often back in the day.  Just found it kinda cute and charming despite the slow gameplay. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

ZEUSDAZ

Quote from: Puresox on 10:42, 25 December 16

I remember buying Paws from the Sunday market back in around 1985 / 6, I wasn't very good at it and personally I got fooled by the cover as it showed a scary dog / wolf on the cover, little did I know you were controlling a bloody cat as the tape was sealed so couldn't read the instructions,...I'm not a cat lover but really love Doggies.
I recorded a longplay of it sometime ago if you wanna be sent down memory lane, It's the ZX version though and pokes were used, I think it remains the only full walkthrough video around.
I you go to the main video on my youtube channel you can see the actual programmer left some comments on it, you may find them interesting :-)

Carnivius

That's cool.  :)
Speccy version looks a bit faster and much more colourful too as it seems built around Speccy graphic limits.

Puresox

Nice to see the Speccy version.
I loaded up Paws the other day ,after Carnivus mentioned it . And actually managed to complete level 1 which I never got that far as a kid when  The game was given to me, I didn't have any instructions with it ,this time round  I came across the Map by pressing a wrong key . Never new there was a map featured in it before . Which made the game a lot easier.
So I actually partially enjoyed playing it this time round. Which was far more than I did as a kid I really had no regard for it back then . Had the emulator set to 200% though.

Puresox

Quote from: ZEUSDAZ on 13:38, 26 December 16
I remember buying Paws from the Sunday market back in around 1985 / 6, I wasn't very good at and personally I got fooled by the cover as it showed a scary dog / wolf on the cover, little did I know you were controlling a bloody cat as the tape was sealed so couldn't read the instructions,...I'm not a cat lover but really love Doggies.
I recorded a longplay of it sometime ago if you wanna be sent down memory lane, It's the ZX version though and pokes were used, I think it remains the only full walkthrough video around.
I you go to the main video on my youtube channel you can see the actual programmer left some comments on it, you may find them interesting :-)

The Speccy version obviously is the Original , and runs at a speed that makes the game almost entertaining . The CPC version is ok but just too ponderous . Looks like the Dog Pack level is different CPC goes to 24. Speccies looks far higher amount.