News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My CPC Game (kinda) related project.

Started by Shaun M. Neary, 03:29, 06 January 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Hey all,
So while I'm no hardware guy when it comes to the CPC, as many here will know, I'm a big gamer. 87-91 were my peak years of gaming for me.

So for my production/gaming room, I've decided to design a jigsaw featuring the covers of 18 of my most played games during this period of time.

The order is about to go in for this baby to be jigsaw'd. Once I make the jigsaw (1000 pieces), it will then be framed, and mounted to be displayed with pride.
Be interested to know what you guys think?

Feel free to comment on the game covers that were chosen, I'm aware some other games could have gone in there, but this was more to reflect my own late childhood/teenage years.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

00WReX

Nice idea.
Three in there that I would have in my selection...Bomb Jack, Ghosts'n Goblins, Way of The Exploding Fist.
Obviously, everyone would have a different 18 if they had to pick, and for different reasons.
Harrier Attack has great memories, as a mate and I used to run out of school at lunchtimes to play it.  ;)
Some good games in your selection.  :)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

ComSoft6128

Hi Shaun,

Not 100% CPC but you might like to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQr5DKA8pc&t=90s

DanyPPC

Great idea !
Most of your games are my prefered ones on various platform.
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: 00WReX on 09:17, 06 January 18
Nice idea.
Three in there that I would have in my selection...Bomb Jack, Ghosts'n Goblins, Way of The Exploding Fist.
Obviously, everyone would have a different 18 if they had to pick, and for different reasons.
Harrier Attack has great memories, as a mate and I used to run out of school at lunchtimes to play it.  ;)
Some good games in your selection.  :)

Thanks Shane. I'd like to take credit for the idea, all of it. Unfortunately I can't. That goes to my wife who's a big jigsaw fan. She got one yesterday and it was a bunch of Famous Five book covers. I just figured the idea would transition well over to video game box art.

So many games missed the cut and I would have liked to have enough room for a fourth row totalling it to 24 but for the resolution I was given, had I added another row, it really wouldn't look as nice when framed from a distance.

I too was a big fan of Harrier Attack. Yie Ar Kung Fu, Winter Games, Continental Circus and Power Drift are amongst a few that didn't make the cut.

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 10:01, 06 January 18
Hi Shaun,

Not 100% CPC but you might like to watch this:

Will give this a watch in a little while when I properly wake and not so blurry eyed 😃

Quote from: DanyPPC on 10:20, 06 January 18
Great idea !
Most of your games are my prefered ones on various platform.

Some of those I do prefer on other platforms. I mean, Kung Fu Master was utter toss, in retrospect. But being a big fan of the arcade, I ended up playing it a lot on the Amstrad despite the fact that I only ever managed to finish it once. 😊
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

00WReX

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary
Thanks Shane. I'd like to take credit for the idea, all of it. Unfortunately I can't. That goes to my wife who's a big jigsaw fan. She got one yesterday and it was a bunch of Famous Five book covers. I just figured the idea would transition well over to video game box art.

Thumbs up to the wife then  :D (my wife is also a jigsaw fan).  :)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

gaos74

Hi Shaun,

What about an Amstrad logo in the middle and covers around it?

Shaun M. Neary

I did think of that, but the layout really didn't work.

The other option was to get the software house logos at the bottom, but they were hard to come by so I took a photo of my 464 complete with grotty well worn keys and used that instead to personalise it.

Shaun M. Neary

It has arrived! Looking forward to getting stuck in!

Shaun M. Neary

ivarf

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:23, 11 January 18
Jigsaw pieces!!

Looks very nice. What did you pay for it? Size (cm)? Where did you get it?

Shaun M. Neary

It wasn't cheap, put it that way!

Jigsaw - €28, its 64cm X 48cm, and 1000 pieces.
The frame was an additional €30, forget about going to IKEA, their non standard frames won't fit it.

I got it from photopuzzle.ie. I believe they're a German company despite the IE domain so they may have other bases across Europe.

gaos74

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: gaos74 on 11:20, 13 January 18
It looks great mate!

Thanks. I can't wait til it's finished and framed.  :D

Shaun M. Neary

And we're off!! The edges and most of the keyboard are done.

The quality of it works quite well considering the low resolution of the images.
More updates to come!

EgoTrip

I wouldn't mind a jigsaw of the Knight Lore map from Amtix, that is such a great piece of art. But it's a bit pricey.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: EgoTrip on 22:08, 15 January 18
I wouldn't mind a jigsaw of the Knight Lore map from Amtix, that is such a great piece of art. But it's a bit pricey.

Depends really. The jigsaw itself isn't so bad considering you're customising it. But the frame really adds to the cost of it. So it depends on what you want to do with it.

seanb

What a good idea.
Given the prices jigsaws can be £25 doesn't seem so bad.
Look forward to seeing it completed.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: seanb on 13:30, 16 January 18
What a good idea.
Given the prices jigsaws can be £25 doesn't seem so bad.
Look forward to seeing it completed.

Cheers!
Yeah, that's my sentiments exactly. And it's not exactly a small sized puzzle at 60x40cm and 1000 pieces.

Same with frames, as a photographer who has had to get his work framed, I'll tell you straight, IKEA's frames are the biggest pile of pants with their non standard dimensions. Only way you can get anything to fit into their useless frames is if you manually crop them down.

It's a nice glass and aluminium frame too. :)

Shaun M. Neary

Progressing nicely if I do say so myself.  :)

Shaun M. Neary

Finished! Excuse the glare. Will take proper photos tomorrow.

Shaun M. Neary

Shaun M. Neary

ComSoft6128

That looks great!

When are you going to start selling them?

Not joking.

Cheers,

Peter

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 19:59, 23 January 18That looks great!When are you going to start selling them?Not joking.Cheers,Peter

I won't be selling them. They cost too much and then with added shipping (especially the weight of the frame), it's just not worth it. That's the problem, everyone wants one until they see the costs involved! 🤣

I'll design another one based on Bob Wakelin's art, incorporating covers not on the first puzzle. But again, it's a personal project, and I'd never sell that especially in light of recent events.