News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Game "Sewer Rat"

Started by lachlank, 07:45, 16 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

lachlank

Hi all, I've been working on a CPC game, "Sewer Rat", see attached .dsk (run "sewrat). Or here on CPC Live... http://mameemu.com/sewerrat/index.htm

Sorry about crappy graphics and sound, these are not my forte!

I've always wanted to write a CPC game in machine code since I was a kid with a CPC, so have finally fulfilled that ambition!

If anyone finds any bugs, let me know and I will fix. I haven't tested this on a real CPC but presume it will work OK as not doing anything clever. Written entirely using WinAPE, thanks Richard for that awesome piece of software, without which I would probably not have bothered.

Oh yeah, aim of the game is to eat all the cheese whilst avoiding enemies!

Lachlan

mr_lou

That's a neat game! Has a very cozy retro feeling to it. Yes, the sound and graphics could have been better, but it's not bad at all in my opinion. Simple sounds are more retro and nostalgic to me somehow, and I think the use of MODE 1 colors are quite good. I wouldn't change a thing in that game.

Levels seem to be random? When I began a new game, it was other levels. That's a good idea, in order to not get tired of the levels too fast.

We are many who always wanted to write a CPC game in machine code since we were kids. ;) hehe. Congratulations on finishing the project!

ukmarkh

These are the sought of games the CPC does best... I've had great fun playing around with Sewer Rats, eating cheese has never been so much fun. And I like the basic graphics and sound, gives it a really nice retro feeling. One issue though, it's a shame there is a slight pause when you pick up the cheese, could this maybe improved. Either way, the game it really addictive.

Ygdrazil

As said by others before, really nice game, with a real cool retro feeling ;D Even the background story is of the same wacky type as with many other games of the 80's.

It's also pretty addictive. I especially like the animated sprite of the rat sticking its head out on the the title page.

Nice going, amazing how many new games that have surfaced in 09!?

/Ygdrazil

PS. I have announced the game on the front page of the CPCWIKI!

Quote from: ukmarkh on 10:24, 16 June 09
These are the sought of games the CPC does best... I've had great fun playing around with Sewer Rats, eating cheese has never been so much fun. And I like the basic graphics and sound, gives it a really nice retro feeling. One issue though, it's a shame there is a slight pause when you pick up the cheese, could this maybe improved. Either way, the game it really addictive.

Devilmarkus

Really a cool game...
I like to play it.

Quote from: lachlank on 07:45, 16 June 09Or here on CPC Live... http://mameemu.com/sewerrat/index.htm

Please change / add some parameters in your html-code:

<applet name="JEMU" width="768" height="544" code="jemu.ui.JEMU.class" codebase="./">
<param name="DOUBLE" value="true">

remove line:
<param name="STATUS" value = "true">

STATUS is an old parameter, which will be removed in further versions...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

lachlank

Hi, thanks for the positive feedback!

I've fixed (somewhat) the pause when picking up cheese, is a bit better now. Have updated the .dsk file on the wiki page and the online java emu.

I was wondering whether someone would be able to make and post me a physical CPC disk from the image? I'll happily pay any costs involved of course. I'm in New Zealand so obviously would be easier for someone here if there's someone with the means lurking...?

To CPC-Live, thanks for the tips, I've changed the applet params, looks better now. I was wondering whether it would be possible to host from your java.cpc-live.com page? As I probably won't have my domain forever.

Cheers,

Lachlan

ukmarkh

If you want, I'll copy down to a 3" disk for you... let me know, and I'll work out the postage.

Gryzor

Heh, this is sweet and cute :D Indeed, it'd benefit greatly if someone with the skills picked it up and spcied up the gfx and (maybe) sound. An in-game tune could easily fit in there, too.

I noticed that in some cases, when the mouse is on top of a platform (that is, it cannot move downwards) pressing down will result in the mouse moving side-wise. Is this intentional? Also, the fixed (not random) enemy paths are not that good for game mechanics, but those are the only gripes.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: lachlank on 09:10, 17 June 09To CPC-Live, thanks for the tips, I've changed the applet params, looks better now. I was wondering whether it would be possible to host from your java.cpc-live.com page? As I probably won't have my domain forever.

Play it here
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Nice cute game! Until the cat gets on your tail, you have no chance to shake him off. Nice use of MODE 1.
More enemies with different AI movement patterns would be cool.
But nothing too major a change, as that would alter the simplicity of the game. You could go down to moving platforms "floating" on a river of sewage and all that malarky, and then it's not a top down run-and-collect-em-up is it!

Gryzor

lachlank

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:11, 18 June 09
Btw, no diagonals?
No, I guess I could have but that would have entailed creating more (ugly) sprites, which I don't find that enjoyable. My original concept was for more of a maze game, but that evolved slightly as I started adding levels and enemies  ;) .

I am keen, now that I have got my z80 skills up to a reasonable level, in maybe trying another home brew game - if anyone is interested in collaborating please get in touch. I would be more interested in small, "retro" themed games rather than ambitious (in scale or technically) projects. However I have a 1st baby due in a month so that may restrict my available time somewhat...?

Lachlan

ukmarkh

Love your work dude, and that pause isn't bothering me anymore... good game, and hope you'll be releasing more. And best of luck with the new born, lot's of sleepless, but worth it nights ahead.

TomEtJerry

Hello,

I had a look at this game. The intro screen is awful, the graphics are earlier cpc games style, but the game is pleasant and there are some nice ideas (I didn't know that aliens love cheese). A good start in cpc game programming :-).

T&J/GPA