News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Vespertino - new game from BG Games

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 15:17, 05 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelStone

ukmarkh

Quote from: TotO on 16:07, 11 May 19
You want... But, may be they would like to sold it as a cartridge game package to have some profits?

Hell yeah, sounds good to me, but I'd still like to purchase a .CRT file for my C4CPC, I'd still purchase a physical box as well, just never open it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ukmarkh

I still think putting it on a cart like this would work great for me as well...

AHack

Quote from: ukmarkh on 01:21, 12 May 19
I still think putting it on a cart like this would work great for me as well...

I suspect this will be the cartridge format. It makes it more of a collectors format so that the developer can make a little profit and it will work on a 464 out of the box.

keith56

Cartridges aside, I think if the goal is to make a little money I think they should consider a patreon type service, where a small monthly donation could be made in return for access to a 'development blog' with monthly or bi-monthly updates, with screenshots and details of the challenges faced.

it would give people a chance to contribute to their work, and for anyone with an interest in development the information would I'm sure be fascinating, and feeling of contributing to such a remarkable CPC project would be worth a dollar or two a month for many in the community.

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Gryzor

A Patreon project would bring (some) revenue but also enable them to get in touch with the audience (that's us!) and get them involved. However, from what I understand they like working behind closed doors :)

keith56

Understandable, I just get the feeling a lot of people would whine if the game was released on a $30 cartridge, but if they would be perfectly happy to pay $1 a month for (lets say) a 24 month development cycle.

VincentGR

Patreon, naaaahh.
Then people will ask for crazy things.
Paypal or a good price is better, I think.

asertus

Quote from: VincentGR on 15:19, 12 May 19
Patreon, naaaahh.
Paypal or a good price is better, I think.

It may be both. Deducting corresponding amount in final price for those paying montly in patreon...

ZbyniuR

ONLY FOR YOU, YET ANOTHER TEASER - THIS TIME NIGHT TRACK - ENJOY  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4WLX8hfpJw

Of course it's joke. :D  So calm down people...
I suppose we have to wait about half year for first playable demo, and about two years for finish version.

I love Vespertino (eng. Evening) teaser, with this soooo Rhino -ish cocky phrases. :D

Anyway, I'm very curious few things:
Is it will be or not, option for 2 players?   Maybe I miss something but, on CPC I know only Lotus, and this is sucks. :(
How many others cars could be on the road at ones?  Is there left some POWER for this?
Are you (Rhino) planning some tunels or junction?  I hope it's no secret. :)    Sincerely ...
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Phi2x

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

ukmarkh

Quote from: PhilZeVibe on 18:18, 12 May 19
This must be the CPC+ version of Vespertino  :laugh:

Where's the other cars, looks great but barren [emoji22]

keith56

Quote from: VincentGR on 15:19, 12 May 19
Patreon, naaaahh.
Actually it's the other way round - My patreon backers don't ask crazy things, they have realistic expectations and understand my limitations...

It's the people who won't pay Jack who have all the crazy demands and expectations...

vasilisk

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 19:54, 12 May 19

It would be nice if someone could add subtitles. I think the explaining of all the technical parts, would be interesting to the rest of us :)  who dont understand spanish

ukmarkh

Quote from: keith56 on 22:09, 12 May 19
Actually it's the other way round - My patreon backers don't ask crazy things, they have realistic expectations and understand my limitations...

It's the people who won't pay Jack who have all the crazy demands and expectations...

I'd be careful here, free is great, we've played so many great new Amstrad games of late that are free, but there's also been the option to buy a physical copy, which I love. I believe people on the whole prefer this. I would hate the CPC scene to turn into the C64 scene where everything costs money to download, the CPC scene is unique in this way, and a crowed puller as well for this very reason.

Saying that, I've said a long time ago, I'd pay big bucks to play a decent Outrun attempt on the Amstrad, this looks to be as close as we might get, so definitely willing to risk my money and back it. The issue with any other option is that people could commit hard earned money for something that turns out to be the next Duke Nukem Forever, so before agreeing to anything, let's give it some real thought.

I get the impression that Rhino is doing things for slightly different reasons, he comes across as a very passionate individual and wants to right the wrongs of the past and prove to the world that the Amstrad is far more capable than people once thought, getting paid is just a bonus.

keith56

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:21, 12 May 19
I'd be careful here, free is great, we've played so many great new Amstrad games of late that are free, but there's also been the option to buy a physical copy, which I love. I believe people on the whole prefer this. I would hate the CPC scene to turn into the C64 scene where everything costs money to download, the CPC scene is unique in this way, and a crowed puller as well for this very reason. 

That's why I'm not talking about selling the game, I'm talking about charging for a subscription to a developer blog.... Make the finished game free... give people who give you a dollar a month some 'insider info' as a reward for their support

Physical copies are great for collectors, but for such small runs of 50-100 units @15-25 pounds I doubt anyone is making any money on them at all... essentially they're doing all the development work for free.

ukmarkh

This new Racer from Rhino could sell more like 5000 copies, I've never seen so much interest or people talking about a CPC game as this. It won't just be CPC'ers. Amiga, ST and C64 owners are all over it. 

Arnaud

A video about Vespertino (start around 15"):

https://youtu.be/FG_tIQFlrok

BSC

Quote from: keith56 on 22:37, 12 May 19
That's why I'm not talking about selling the game, I'm talking about charging for a subscription to a developer blog.... Make the finished game free... give people who give you a dollar a month some 'insider info' as a reward for their support

Physical copies are great for collectors, but for such small runs of 50-100 units @15-25 pounds I doubt anyone is making any money on them at all... essentially they're doing all the development work for free.

I would actually become a Patron of Rhino on the day he started a youtube channel explaining in detail how all his tricks work (Batman Demo and games), just because I am damn curious :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

keith56

Quote from: BSC on 21:26, 13 May 19

I would actually become a Patron of Rhino on the day he started a youtube channel explaining in detail how all his tricks work (Batman Demo and games), just because I am damn curious :)

I wouldn't expect an explanation of 'all the tricks', I would just like some general info on the challenges and methodology of developing a game at the 'cutting edge' like this, so I can get some feeling for what it's really like...

My retro game shelves are full, and I don't have time to play the games I already own, so buying more physical releases doesn't make sense... but I would be happy to donate to people researching and pushing the platform forwards and enriching the community

As commented above, there's interest from the C64 and Amiga community - but people who don't own a CPC wont buy a physical release either - so unless a charge is made for a digital download they won't buy it either (which as UkMark said, is something many people dislike)... Voluntary donation solves both problems.

ukmarkh

Quote from: keith56 on 22:12, 13 May 19
I wouldn't expect an explanation of 'all the tricks', I would just like some general info on the challenges and methodology of developing a game at the 'cutting edge' like this, so I can get some feeling for what it's really like...

My retro game shelves are full, and I don't have time to play the games I already own, so buying more physical releases doesn't make sense... but I would be happy to donate to people researching and pushing the platform forwards and enriching the community

As commented above, there's interest from the C64 and Amiga community - but people who don't own a CPC wont buy a physical release either - so unless a charge is made for a digital download they won't buy it either (which as UkMark said, is something many people dislike)... Voluntary donation solves both problems.

I agree, donations are the way forward here, if the game is everything I believe it to be, then we should do this. I would personally like to back this project, especially if it reveals some of the secrets as to how things were done. Let's not forget Pinball Dreams as well. I suspect it will never see the light of day in its current form, due to licensing. But we will all find out shortly enough.

AHack

This is speaking for myself as a developer with a current CPC project on the go. I don't expect to make money programming an old 8bit computer as I'm not motivated to do so. I'm doing this for reasons of nostalgia from my childhood as it was the first computer I learnt to code on. With all the CRTC tricks that were discovered after it's commercial use you realise that games back when the machine was first launched really never used it's full potential so for me it's interesting to see what games could of been made if the CRTC tricks were known from the word go. And last but not least it's interesting going back to a machine where every CPU cycle makes a big difference and over the years I miss that type of programming challange - my last commercial machine code game was in 2000 for the Gameboy Color.

ervin

Quote from: AHack on 05:02, 14 May 19
This is speaking for myself as a developer with a current CPC project on the go. I don't expect to make money programming an old 8bit computer as I'm not motivated to do so. I'm doing this for reasons of nostalgia from my childhood as it was the first computer I learnt to code on. With all the CRTC tricks that were discovered after it's commercial use you realise that games back when the machine was first launched really never used it's full potential so for me it's interesting to see what games could of been made if the CRTC tricks were known from the word go. And last but not least it's interesting going back to a machine where every CPU cycle makes a big difference and over the years I miss that type of programming challange - my last commercial machine code game was in 2000 for the Gameboy Color.

I agree 100%, as I'm in a similar situation.
I'm curious though, which GBC game(s) did you write?

AHack

Quote from: ervin on 08:19, 14 May 19

I agree 100%, as I'm in a similar situation.
I'm curious though, which GBC game(s) did you write?

My GBC games are:

Cool Bricks
Mia Hamm Soccor Shootout - I'm pretty proud of this one for the fact that it can screw the emulators (when they were first been developed) as I did a Hi-colour screen by racing the LCD.
European Super Leauge
Thunderbirds