News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Game: Oceano

Started by EgoTrip, 22:19, 26 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 11:06, 28 May 15
Nice little game!
I enjoy it...

Converted it to .CDT, too for you:

I tried to make a CDT but it refused to load. Dunno what I did wrong though. Thanks.

CraigsBar

Quote from: EgoTrip on 13:18, 28 May 15
Theres a bug that makes the game unfinishable, it exists on both CPC and Spectrum versions, so I had to fix it. In the process I decided to add some more gravity to the sub, so it descends every other frame instead of waiting a while.

The OP has been updated with the new download links, so make sure you grab them.
I'll redo the CPR and add it to the cart wiki page tonight.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Devilmarkus

Quote from: EgoTrip on 13:30, 28 May 15
I tried to make a CDT but it refused to load. Dunno what I did wrong though. Thanks.

I first converted your CSW back to WAV, this I used to create the CDT file....

Here's v1.2

BTW.: You should add some "Das Boot" (U-69) chiptune music ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Targhan

Nice one for the "gravity". Glad I could contribute :).

However, a bug appeared! The game crashes/bugs when colliding with a little fish (tested on a real CPC and Winape)!

Targhan.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

EgoTrip

Quote from: Targhan on 18:12, 28 May 15
Nice one for the "gravity". Glad I could contribute :) .

However, a bug appeared! The game crashes/bugs when colliding with a little fish (tested on a real CPC and Winape)!

Targhan.

I give up with it. That is AGD being AGD. I knew I should have just left it as it was before.

TomEtJerry

Hi,

I have just discovered the game, I find it quite cute (don't tell me why, I have always loved games with submarines :-) ).

I experience the same bug as Targhan (crash on Winape when the sub hits a fish). If it's not your code, you should contact AGD author to submit this problem.

About the game, I don't mind that the sub does not have proper inertia. I find the idea of the "reload timer" very good as it's like in a real sub :-). Anyway, you should have drawn a torpedo rather than this yellow bubble.

I agree with all people, the nice intro screen deserves a little music.

Hope there will be a 1.03 release soon.

T&J/GPA

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:06, 28 May 15
BTW.: You should add some "Das Boot" (U-69) chiptune music ;)
It just happens there's one available... just here! Original Amiga .mod written by Kollapse.
(It's very badly, shoddily converted and badly, shoddily programmed in, but it shows how inserting STarkos tunes into games can be really easy! Basically, if I can do it, then anyone can do it!)

EDIT: Oooops! Forgot to put the CALL &BB03 back in before the keyboard check... re-upping file.

remax

Strange, i don't have the fish bug with the Jonah's version above on Winape...
Brain Radioactivity

TomEtJerry

I have just tested M. Ship release, no bug with the same release of Winape !

Nice music !

TFM

Funny game, like it. Sadly it crashes in the 3rd screen (right, up) when getting very up. But that's AGD. Hope somebody will debug it. Then the game will be ever more fun (working).

Good to see CPC releases!!! :-)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Targhan

I must emphasize that I tested the game on BOTH the real hardware and Winape. It crashed in both, but in a different way, when touching a little fish. Maybe the bug behaves differently according to the memory configuration (ROM, user rom, etc.). Anyway, there is something fishy in the code somewhere (pun intended :) ).

Targhan.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

EgoTrip

I don;t know where the bug came from or what caused it. I changed absolutely nothing in the collision code between versions for the fish, which is where everything is done.

Could someone please write a patch for keyboard control (QAOP SPACE) that will work on all games made with this version of AGD? I think that code below &H3500 is available.

Also if someone can show me how to get Arkos Tracker music working properly in AGD then I will add some and do a version 1.3.

remax

Quote from: Targhan on 18:06, 01 June 15
I must emphasize that I tested the game on BOTH the real hardware and Winape. It crashed in both, but in a different way, when touching a little fish. Maybe the bug behaves differently according to the memory configuration (ROM, user rom, etc.). Anyway, there is something fishy in the code somewhere (pun intended :) ).

Targhan.

Yeah, that look like a lack of variable initialisation somewhere, or something like that...
Brain Radioactivity

arnoldemu

@EgoTrip: Is it made with the 1.4 release of AGD? I see there is a 1.4 release in May this year.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

It appears around 7f10 is entirely blank.
It should have code!

oceano2.bin is far too short :(

when the collision happens it calls into empty ram (all zeros) and executes garbage instrucitons.
My games. My Games

tastefulmrship

Quote from: arnoldemu on 22:43, 01 June 15
It should have code!

when the collision happens it calls into empty ram (all zeros) and executes garbage instrucitons.
That explains why "my version" works despite not changing any of the base code: The STarkos music routine starts at &8000 and so is CALLed whenever there is a collision with the fish. Therefore, a simple fix for the original 1.2 version would be to POKE a &C9 anywhere around the &7F10 area in the OCEANO.BAS file (before CALLing &3500, obviously).

arnoldemu

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 07:38, 02 June 15
That explains why "my version" works despite not changing any of the base code: The STarkos music routine starts at &8000 and so is CALLed whenever there is a collision with the fish. Therefore, a simple fix for the original 1.2 version would be to POKE a &C9 anywhere around the &7F10 area in the OCEANO.BAS file (before CALLing &3500, obviously).
poking 7f10 with c9 is a horrible hack because it assumes there is real code there.

@EgoTrip: Please would you PM with a link to your source working version and the instructions you follow to make your disc? I will repeat those instructions and find what needs to be fixed to make a version where the AGD code is complete.

I am hoping that the problems you are having may all come from the same source problem.
My games. My Games

Johnny Olsen

It should have code!

Your right the code is to short
I have taken the end code from oceano1.1 and added to oceano1.2, and change some call's and now i think it work's.

EgoTrip

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:11, 02 June 15
poking 7f10 with c9 is a horrible hack because it assumes there is real code there.

@EgoTrip: Please would you PM with a link to your source working version and the instructions you follow to make your disc? I will repeat those instructions and find what needs to be fixed to make a version where the AGD code is complete.

I am hoping that the problems you are having may all come from the same source problem.

PM sent thanks.

EgoTrip

It should have code!

That's weird. The game plays fine within AGD.

There are many, many issues with AGD. Jonathan is aware of them all but these are the major issues for your information:

Cannot delete any resources, this includes rooms, messages, sprites, sprite frames, objects, sounds, basically everything corrupts the game if deleted.
Cannot use the object placement properly. It just goes to a blank screen, and objects don't show up in game. This is why Sprite 6 places the objects in Oceano.
Can only edit one message at a time, and even then sometimes it corrupts. You have to exit back to main menu before editing any more. Sometimes even displaying messages corrupts the game.This bug is also present in the ZX Spectrum version.
Can only have about 10 sprite images, it corrupts the game if there are any more.
Trouble changing the window size. This is pretty much the first thing I do, if I do it after I've created some resources it corrupts the game.
Plays sounds randomly on start for some reason. This bug is also present in the ZX Spectrum version.

There are probably more but these are all I remember of the top of my head.

arnoldemu

I can't say what has happened.

The file is short by about 16 bytes.
There is a size value near the start of the game data and it clearly indicates there is more data than there actually is.

The saving code is normal enough, using cas functions to open and write the whole file out.

The save code doesn't check for any errors which is bad AND it saves over the top of the existing one. Thank god CPC creates a .bak file!

As for using keyboard. I have some code that is untested. The idea is that you load it. Call &34bc and it patches the input.
q,a,o,p,space for player 1, joystick 2 for player 2. (I can change that to joystick 1).

I'll take a closer look tomorrow lunch time.

My games. My Games

EgoTrip

The really weird thing here is that I created a tape file out of the exact same binary that is short, yet the tape is absolutely fine. Maybe something happened in ManageDsk as that is the only other thing that could have interfered with it.

Thanks for the key routines.

EgoTrip

Quote from: Jonah Ship on 18:53, 31 May 15
It just happens there's one available... just here! Original Amiga .mod written by Kollapse.
(It's very badly, shoddily converted and badly, shoddily programmed in, but it shows how inserting STarkos tunes into games can be really easy! Basically, if I can do it, then anyone can do it!)

EDIT: Oooops! Forgot to put the CALL &BB03 back in before the keyboard check... re-upping file.

What exactly did you do?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Jonah Ship on 18:53, 31 May 15

Why not use a .PT3 from Speccy?

I used it in my music disk - We Are All Old...

Snapshot: (Press a key to start music)

Devilmarkus

3 different versions (Author: Davos) in .pt3 format