News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Game: Pix

Started by EgoTrip, 01:23, 25 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

This is a version of the game Picross on the Nintendo handheld consoles. Programmed in BASIC. Disk only sorry.

You have a grid, and you use the clues to uncover the image. There are numbers horizontally and vertically, and these tell you how many blocks to fill in. For example if a row or column has 1,3,5 then there is one block, then at least one space, then 3 blocks in a row, then at least one space, then 5 blocks in a row. You score a point for each block you uncover, but you lose one if you select the wrong square.

There are 16 puzzles in all.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

Doh! I was hoping it was going to be a decent clone of Qix!  :( 

MacDeath

QuoteDisk only sorry.
You are more than welcomed to continue that way.
Now could you support a 128K RAM PLUS with full use of sprites, DMA sounds and Hardsprite with raster wankfest, I would appreciate too.
Also Bryce mouse and AMXmouse support would definitaly helps a lot.

:D

Na kidding.
Nice to see a Locobasic 1.1 game theses days.

Nice Mode1 pixel art on the Logo, really.

EgoTrip

Its actually a 1.0 BASIC game, I developed it in bare bones 464 mode on winamp. Probably pointless considering its disk only, I did intend on doing a tape version but I was running into syntax errors every time i tried to load a binary file in for some reason.

The logo is actually some font, I cant tell you its name right now as its not installed on this PC.

tastefulmrship

I really like this game, it has a very professional design and you gotta love MODE 1 LocoBASIC games! ^_^

I do have a few questions and/or points;

1. I guess reason for the MEMORY &7FFF command is to move the SYMBOL data to an address well below normal HIMEM. Was there any M/C code you were planning to put up there (ie 8000-A5FF) or are you defining the arrays to that upper limit?

2. Your first SYMBOL command is 141, so you could consider changing SYMBOL AFTER 32 to SYMBOL AFTER 141, as this will free-up a little bit of memory. (But the game is small enough for this to not really be a problem, but it's something to think about for your next, bigger project!)

3. From what I can see, all of your variables are integers (ie you're not using any floating point variables which takes the CPU longer to manipulate), so you may as well add DEFINT a-z to line 10. This will force the use of integers and significantly speed-up the game engine (which, unfortunately, may need the use of a CALL &BD19 to remove the disappearing arrows).

4. How do you complete a level? Is it an automatic thing when you've uncovered all the tiles or do you have to press a button to quit?
EDIT: I noticed I had 2 pixels missing on Harry's head... sorry! ^_^

5. What does the ESC key do? It doesn't do anything in WinAPE set as 464 (BASIC1.0, 64k, etc).
EDIT: Ok, it has just been disabled (KEY 66,0,0,0), no problem!

6. Does the game ever display the level name? It's an array that's defined, but I can't see where it's ever PRINTed.
EDIT: Yes, it appears on the high-score table when completed!

7. Instead of loading in those 17k screens, have you considered using MOVE & DRAW commands to produce the screens, instead? The game should be small enough for you to still have space to do it. This will remove the need for .bin files and then you can release the game as a TAPE game, too! (Using ConvImgCpc or any other file-to-tape utility)

Again, though, a very nice game. Make sure it is uploaded to CPCPower for prosperity!

Manu

Quote from: EgoTrip on 23:01, 25 March 13Its actually a 1.0 BASIC game, I developed it in bare bones 464 mode on winamp.

Hey, that's an acomplishment!  8)

Nice work!

EgoTrip

Thanks for the replies. I of course meant WinAPE.

Yes I intended on using compressed binary files for the images, rather than loading from disk which is why there is a memory command. I also intended on having music. However every time I tried to load them in it chucked a syntax error at me so I just gave up.

Thanks for the other hints. I did plan on having a full font, hence the symbol after 32, but I didn't see the point once I figured out how I'd be doing the front end. I just forgot to change it. I did consider DRAW commands for the interface, but I figured I'd still need some sort of machine code to display the images and logo so its probably just easier to stick with the way I have done it for now. TBH if I went down the including machine code route, i'd want the entire game to be done in machine code.

If I can get it working with binary files, then I will release a new version (and also on a tape image if I can figure out how to do it).

tastefulmrship

Quote from: EgoTrip on 12:49, 26 March 13
Yes I intended on using compressed binary files for the images, rather than loading from disk which is why there is a memory command. I also intended on having music. However every time I tried to load them in it chucked a syntax error at me so I just gave up.

If I can get it working with binary files, then I will release a new version (and also on a tape image if I can figure out how to do it).
Using WinAPE makes combining BASIC and M/C pretty easy. If you open a "Find Graphics" window in the Debugger (press F7) you can see where the BASIC, any SYMBOLs and arrays/variables appear in memory and so you know where you can fit your M/C... in your case it looks like &8000-&A600 is still free.

Puresox

Great little game ! Really enjoyable , after I worked out what the concept of the game was!Good stuff!

TFM

Quote from: EgoTrip on 12:49, 26 March 13
... However every time I tried to load them in it chucked a syntax error at me so I just gave up.

Either you overwrite parts of the system, or the files have the wrong numbers for lenght f.e. You can load and save them again (save"png.sux",b,&8000,&1080 f.e.), that helps. But it's hard to tell without more preceise informations.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

EgoTrip

Heres a newer version with everything loaded into memory so it doesn't load  the screen from disk each time.

How do I go about submitting this to cpcsofts/cpc-power?

Nich

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:13, 27 March 13
Heres a newer version with everything loaded into memory so it doesn't load  the screen from disk each time.

I suggest using the contact form on CPC-POWER and providing a link to this discussion so that Kukulcan can download the latest version of the game and add it to CPC-POWER.

I'll see if I can upload Pix to NVG soon.

Gryzor

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:13, 27 March 13

Why not upload it to the downloads section here as well? :)

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 21:19, 28 March 13
I'll see if I can upload Pix to NVG soon.
Version 1.1 of Pix can now be downloaded from NVG. (The forum software seems to screw up URLs to FTP sites so I can't post a working link here, but it's in the games/misc directory.)

EgoTrip

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:29, 29 March 13

Why not upload it to the downloads section here as well? :)

Cos I cant get an account registered on there. Every time I try I run into problems so now I can't be bothered.

Thanks nich.

Gryzor

Quote from: EgoTrip on 17:57, 31 March 13

Cos I cant get an account registered on there. Every time I try I run into problems so now I can't be bothered.

Thanks nich.

"On there"? I was talking about the Downloads section here, accessible with your existing account :)