News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game: The Dawn of Kernel

Started by reidrac, 20:07, 20 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

I've released The Dawn of Kernel, a new shooter for the Amstrad CPC (64k).

[attach=1,msg163880]

[attach=2,msg163880]

Current version is 1.0.1.

You can download the game (CDT & DSK) from: https://www.usebox.net/jjm/dawn-of-kernel/

GX4000 specific build: https://www.usebox.net/jjm/dawn-of-kernel/dawn-of-kernel-gx4000.zip

The game had a development thread here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/the-dawn-of-kernel-(development)/

As you may know, Poly Play has put together an awesome Collector's Edition available in cassette and 3" / 3.5" disc.

Enjoy!

PS: few hours before the official release date, I hope it's OK ;D
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

reidrac

I tried to make the CRT for the GX4000 but for some reason I can't make nocart work (although I think when I tried few weeks ago it was fine).

If someone can give me a hand converting the DSK file, I would appreciate that!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Targhan

Very nice! I managed to get to the "second music level", I don't know how far it is. Very playable, beautiful graphics as always, and enjoyable tunes. There are a lot of details that shows this is a labor of love! I'll try to finish it in the next days. Well done!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

reidrac

Quote from: Targhan on 22:18, 20 August 18
Very nice! I managed to get to the "second music level", I don't know how far it is. Very playable, beautiful graphics as always, and enjoyable tunes. There are a lot of details that shows this is a labor of love! I'll try to finish it in the next days. Well done!

That's about a third of the screens; it gets a bit messier on the second part.

Is not an easy game, but the feedback I got from the testers is that each screen is OK, even if you need a couple of tries; the problem is when you need to navigate them all in one go.

I'm gad you like it!

Targhan

Not an easy game indeed. However, I didn't know how to switch to other secondary weapons (I never read the manuals :) , didn't hear about the "double down" trick), so it should be easier next time.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Xifos

A very good game ! :)
But i did not go very far, it's hard !

Phantomz

Quote from: reidrac on 20:14, 20 August 18
I tried to make the CRT for the GX4000 but for some reason I can't make nocart work (although I think when I tried few weeks ago it was fine).

If someone can give me a hand converting the DSK file, I would appreciate that!

Hi @reidrac , thanks for this wonderful game.  8)

I've converted the disk to cpr , I've also made it stop on the loading screen ( any key to pass ) as this just flashed up so fast from cpr.

I can't change the menu options or even remap the console pause button to pause because the game is compressed the same as your other games.  :(

reidrac

Quote from: Phantomz on 14:30, 21 August 18
Hi @reidrac , thanks for this wonderful game.  8)

I've converted the disk to cpr , I've also made it stop on the loading screen ( any key to pass ) as this just flashed up so fast from cpr.

I can't change the menu options or even remap the console pause button to pause because the game is compressed the same as your other games.  :(

Anyway, the cpr is here mate.  ;)

Thanks! I know some people will enjoy the game on the GX4000 ;)

I can make a special edition for the CRT, if you tell me what needs to be changed.

Edit: well, I can give it a go at home, but if is playable I guess it's okay.

GUNHED

Excellent game, much fun, but hard.  ;) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

reidrac

I've added a link to a GX4000 specific build:

* Press any button to skip the loading screen
* Joypad 1 to control the ship, skip texts, etc;; see manual for controls
* Joypad 2 Button 1 to exit the game

There's a README in the ZIP + the manual: https://www.usebox.net/jjm/dawn-of-kernel/dawn-of-kernel-gx4000.zip

Thanks to @Phantomz for his help!

ervin

Holy cow this is a great game!

Having followed the development for a long time, expectations were high.
But the game has surpassed expectations!

Looking forward to spending lots of time with this one.
:)

jesusdelmas

Really goos Game Reidrac  ;D , thanks for the hard work, i have finished it but with the 87% completed, is there a special ending if you reach the 100%??  8)

reidrac

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 02:55, 22 August 18
Really goos Game Reidrac  ;D , thanks for the hard work, i have finished it but with the 87% completed, is there a special ending if you reach the 100%??  8)

A 100% is possible, but you need the perfect game, and that's challenging. There are secret screens and things like that to make the game replayable, but it is just a score challenge, I didn't have space to include a different ending.

I think anything around 95% completed is aces.

Gryzor

Not playing till I get my preordered copy :)

Really looking forward to it!

DanyPPC

Played this afternoon on my CPC464 with USB Floppy Emulator by Zaxon, i think it's very playable.
Good game for our beloved machines  :)
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

ukmarkh

What a great little game, easily an 8/10 would have scored it higher, but it's a really difficult game. I'm looking forward to buying this on 3" disk and downloading to play it on my GX4000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reidrac

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:33, 22 August 18
What a great little game, easily an 8/10 would have scored it higher, but it's a really difficult game. I'm looking forward to buying this on 3" disk and downloading to play it on my GX4000

8/10 sounds good to me, thanks!

It is not an easy game, but is not that hard I think. IMHO Golden Tail is harder and everybody that manages to learn how to play it, loves it. If you get into that "one more go" with Kernel and find how to deal with each type of enemy, it is manageable.

Targhan

I finished Golden Tail without too much trouble, but I can't finish this one! I play it every evening since its release (ok... so it's hasn't been for THAT long :) ), and I always die stupidly. Only one life, it's so cruel! But I'll make it :) .
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

reidrac

Quote from: Targhan on 22:24, 22 August 18
I finished Golden Tail without too much trouble, but I can't finish this one! I play it every evening since its release (ok... so it's hasn't been for THAT long :) ), and I always die stupidly. Only one life, it's so cruel! But I'll make it :) .

I decided to implement shield instead of several lives because it is way more forgiving: you get hit, but you're invulnerable for some time and you're in the action. Very often you can resolve the situation and continue playing.

Also there are lots of pick ups, if you stay alive long enough with low shield, you'll find a shield up pickup.

If you're still trying and progressing without getting frustrated, you may be having fun!  8)

ukmarkh

One life is really cruel, I need an easy option [emoji23]

skylas

Very good game! Congratulations!In the first time, i found it very difficult, but after some times it seems not so very hard, but simply difficult!How many stages are they? (if we consider as stage every time that a written message appears)
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

andycadley

Had a quick play and it looks really nice, been following the development of this one and looking forward to actually playing it through properly.

reidrac

Quote from: skylas on 00:08, 23 August 18
Very good game! Congratulations!In the first time, i found it very difficult, but after some times it seems not so very hard, but simply difficult!How many stages are they? (if we consider as stage every time that a written message appears)

I can't remember exactly, but there are 3 tilesets (each one with its own sound track) and 64 screens in total.

reidrac

I've updated the game to version 1.0.1 fixing a cosmetic bug  :picard:

I encourage you to update your copies!

(the readme.pdf shows the version)