News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game: The Dawn of Kernel

Started by reidrac, 20:07, 20 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Railslave

Bah, its not that hard everybody, its a game that demands you take the time to learn it. I've been playing dark souls the last few weeks and I find the same principles apply to this game... you level up by getting better at the game, learning the enemy patterns, the movement of your ship and the way the supply drops work ect..

definitely a "one more go" type of game.

What really helps is how rock steady it preforms, every death is your fault (like dark souls).

ukmarkh

Quote from: Railslave on 21:20, 23 August 18
Bah, its not that hard everybody, its a game that demands you take the time to learn it. I've been playing dark souls the last few weeks and I find the same principles apply to this game... you level up by getting better at the game, learning the enemy patterns, the movement of your ship and the way the supply drops work ect..

definitely a "one more go" type of game.

What really helps is how rock steady it preforms, every death is your fault (like dark souls).

Do not compare that easy sack of shite to Dawn of Kernel [emoji6][emoji23]🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylas

It seems that i can't pass this one (on stage 4) , any suggestions from someone who had same problem?
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Arnaud

In this way ?

You go in the safe area when ennemy is in 1 then when it is in 2 you can go down.

reidrac

Quote from: skylas on 17:04, 26 August 18
It seems that i can't pass this one (on stage 4) , any suggestions from someone who had same problem?

Wait in the border of the gap so you can throw the ship in when the digger arrives; then before touching the energy field, thrust up and you're past that part (the digger will be past the gap). Then just get rid of the turret and when the station is destroyed the way back is easy.

It requires a bit of timing. I've seen people use the thrust to keep the ship suspended in the gap without touching the field, but for me is a bit too hard and that's not what I had in mind.

I think this is one of the harder screens (that same structure appears in another screen, with a tiny twist that makes is a bit different, but is the same idea).

Any screen in the game can be completed without being hit, but this is one of the few that you better have enough shield in case you make a mistake (the digger does damage 4, the field 2).
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

GUNHED

The used colors are really awesome!  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

mr_lou

As usual I don't have the time to check it out here and now, but judging from the feedback I'm seeing in this thread, I can see I have something to look forward to when I do have the time: At the next retrogaming meeting with my mates, which should be in week 43.

Congratulations for finishing the project. I'm amazed at how fast you managed to create this project and get such an amount of positive comments.

skylas

Quote from: reidrac on 17:17, 26 August 18
Wait in the border of the gap so you can throw the ship in when the digger arrives; then before touching the energy field, thrust up and you're past that part (the digger will be past the gap). Then just get rid of the turret and when the station is destroyed the way back is easy.

It requires a bit of timing. I've seen people use the thrust to keep the ship suspended in the gap without touching the field, but for me is a bit too hard and that's not what I had in mind.

I think this is one of the harder screens (that same structure appears in another screen, with a tiny twist that makes is a bit different, but is the same idea).

Any screen in the game can be completed without being hit, but this is one of the few that you better have enough shield in case you make a mistake (the digger does damage 4, the field 2).
finally i managed to pass this point by staying in the field and lose only 2. The problem was that when the digger hits you, it doesnt keep moving the same way, but it goes back, closing again the movement, and hits you again!
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:

ukmarkh

I wish this game had a password system or something, so it didn't throw you all the way back to the start, not cool... Saying that, I will beat this b@stard without cheating or snapshots.

I do love this game... In fact this and Orion Prime are keeping me away from my PS4 and Switch

skylas

I finished it! score 82800, 93%
It is a really wonderful game! i enjoyed it very much!
At the first time, i thought it was too difficult, but then i gave it more chances and when i <got into> it i i loved it!
I really liked most the way kernel moves, it is detail-demanding movement in order to go on, but the game supports it!
I also feeled a bit tired playing the first stages again and again, but this is a retro game! It is the way the games used to be, so this is totally understandable.
As for proposals, it would be good to add a screenshot of each enemy in the manual, as it took me some time to understand which enemy is described (i am not so familiar with english)
Also, although not needed, it could be good if there was a map!
Many thx for creating this game and for giving us enjoyment!
Congratulations Reidrac!!!
TEXT ADVENTURES:

reidrac

Quote from: skylas on 00:44, 27 August 18
I finished it! score 82800, 93%
It is a really wonderful game! i enjoyed it very much!
At the first time, i thought it was too difficult, but then i gave it more chances and when i <got into> it i i loved it!
I really liked most the way kernel moves, it is detail-demanding movement in order to go on, but the game supports it!
I also feeled a bit tired playing the first stages again and again, but this is a retro game! It is the way the games used to be, so this is totally understandable.
As for proposals, it would be good to add a screenshot of each enemy in the manual, as it took me some time to understand which enemy is described (i am not so familiar with english)
Also, although not needed, it could be good if there was a map!
Many thx for creating this game and for giving us enjoyment!
Congratulations Reidrac!!!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you liked it.

I take note of your feedback (everyone's feedback, actually), thanks!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Golem13

That's a fucking good game (sorry for my language :)) ! Thanks for it....
I really love it and his technical realisation.
The game is clean with many details, smooth, interesting and clever !
Congratulations, and thank you of course !

Phantomz

Quote from: GUNHED on 17:09, 26 August 18
Poke it  ;)

I did.  ;D

If it's ok with @reidrac I can put up the poke address to get infinite shield, I can't add it to cpr or disk due to compression.

reidrac

Quote from: Phantomz on 20:24, 01 September 18
I did.  ;D

If it's ok with @reidrac I can put up the poke address to get infinite shield, I can't add it to cpr or disk due to compression.

Feel free to share the poke!

Phantomz

Quote from: reidrac on 20:45, 01 September 18
Feel free to share the poke!

You need to change 3A to 00 , I believe this is @ 4439 for the Disk and Tape version, and @ 425C for the cpr.

reidrac

Quote from: Phantomz on 20:53, 01 September 18
You need to change 3A to 00 , I believe this is @ 4439 for the Disk and Tape version, and @ 425C for the cpr.

I've tried to edit the disk, tape and cpr, however when I edit the tape in a hex editor it will not load, I'm not sure how edit a tape file in hex.

I've have however poked the disk and cpr version to have infinite shield, they are below.

See, I'm not completely happy with this. Let's say I fix a bug and make a new release, then it is less useful because there are copies (even modified) available everywhere, with some people not even bothering to link the game website.

It's probably useless to complain about this, people are used to do it with classic games, so for new ones with a website that is not going away is hard to change behaviour.

If someone wants to poke it, you provided instructions. If you want to distribute a poked version of the game at very least don't upload it to the thread where I've released the game.

Phantomz

Quote from: reidrac on 17:26, 02 September 18
See, I'm not completely happy with this. Let's say I fix a bug and make a new release, then it is less useful because there are copies (even modified) available everywhere, with some people not even bothering to link the game website.

It's probably useless to complain about this, people are used to do it with classic games, so for new ones with a website that is not going away is hard to change behaviour.

If someone wants to like it, you provided instructions. If you want to distribute a poked version of the game at very least for upload it to the thread where I've released the game.

@reidrac

Sorry about that, I've removed the poked version, I've left the poke up though.

reidrac

Quote from: Phantomz on 17:30, 02 September 18
@reidrac

Sorry about that, I've removed the poked version, I've left the poke up though.

Thanks for removing it.

reidrac

I've been told the game is reviewed in November's GR issue: scored 93% and awarded a Retro Gamer Sizzler!

This is my best score in RG so far!

Gryzor

Well, certainly worth it!

After weeks of being very busy I played it again last Sunday - even without the charm of the original machine (which is now stowed away) it gave me a bloody nice time.

Rhino

Very good and deserved score! It must be very comforting and motivating to see your game so well commented and scored in an international magazine as RG. Congrats!

Gryzor

Here's the review. I dislike reviews that just describe the game instead of, you know, reviewing it, but the score is right :)

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:26, 03 November 18
Here's the review. I dislike reviews that just describe the game instead of, you know, reviewing it, but the score is right [emoji4]

Kudos, I think this would easily achieve 'Master Game' status. For Amstrad games, I wish they would use 'Rave' or 'Master Game' instead of the 'Sizzler' thing. But yes, great game, I was able to complete using snapshots.

Gryzor

Oh, I haven't done that. It's hard but fair so I hope some day I'll finish it fair and square. ..