News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game: The Dawn of Kernel

Started by reidrac, 20:07, 20 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

I think this is a good review of the game (OK, and a positive one too  :P).

It doesn't have big spoilers, but if you haven't played the game yet, skip it for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoKiElGV74A
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Rhino

Quote from: reidrac on 12:14, 13 January 19
I think this is a good review of the game (OK, and a positive one too  :P ).

It doesn't have big spoilers, but if you haven't played the game yet, skip it for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoKiElGV74A
One of my favorite 2018 games.

mr_lou

Congratulations!

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:26, 03 November 18Here's the review. I dislike reviews that just describe the game instead of, you know, reviewing it,

Me too!
Though I think the above was written nicely.

Has anyone ever scored 100% on RG?

reidrac

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:11, 20 January 19
Congratulations!

Me too!
Though I think the above was written nicely.

Has anyone ever scored 100% on RG?

AFAIK not on CPC: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Retro_Gamer

Easter Eggs's R-Type got a 94%, which is the higher score so far for a CPC game.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Skunkfish

I was just thinking about this game this morning.

I think I'll have to give it another play over the weekend, it's definitely one of my favourites.

Attached is my review from Issue 3 of Colour Personal Computing, the joint highest score given to a game so far (alongside the equally superb, Baba's Palace).
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

reidrac

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:04, 19 March 21
I was just thinking about this game this morning.

I think I'll have to give it another play over the weekend, it's definitely one of my favourites.

Attached is my review from Issue 3 of Colour Personal Computing, the joint highest score given to a game so far (alongside the equally superb, Baba's Palace).

Wow, what a nice review! I'm very happy you enjoyed the game.

This is a weird one. While I love the result and I wouldn't change anything, sometimes I wonder if is too challenging for current gamers. And I totally understand that, because there are so many good games out there, why would you like to put time on a frustrating 8-bit game? IMHO the learning curve, being fair (I hope), and that "one more go" is part of the package.

May be this one (and Kitsune's Curse as well) are on the hard side, but the players that persist and win the game, definitely have a great experience; despite the risk that a lot people won't appreciate the challenge. And that's OK!

Gryzor

I actually *love* its difficulty, although I'm unable to finish it (and mind you I had finished both Cybernoids back in the day).

Perhaps it needs a tutorial level. And an achievement awarded when you complete it. And infinite continues? Respawn points every 20 pixels? Just saying :D

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:07, 19 March 21
I actually *love* its difficulty, although I'm unable to finish it (and mind you I had finished both Cybernoids back in the day).

Perhaps it needs a tutorial level. And an achievement awarded when you complete it. And infinite continues? Respawn points every 20 pixels? Just saying :D

That's interesting... because if you use an emulator, you have save-states, isn't it? It may or may not make the game less fun for you, but using them is totally fine!

I may have set some difficulty level, but that's never going to be perfect for all players. I guess with the real hardware there are less options, but you still have pokes on CPC Power.

Gryzor

Oh I know. From time to time I've used save states, but only when I just wanted to finish a game and see the whole of it, not actually play it. Similar to watching a YT walkthrough, but more involved. Somehow when I actually play (and these days it's more often that I play on a real machine than an emulator because the only free time is at night, in front of the tv, when Gryzor Jr is asleep :D ) I forget that save states exist...

Skunkfish

In terms of the gameplay experience itself, I think that the level of difficulty is spot on.

It's challenging but fair and I'm sure that a very skilled player could complete without losing any energy. There are no 'cheap shots' where the player gets punished unfairly, or where things happen that are out of their control.

It finds the right balance between technique, tactics and memorisation.  The level of reactions and dexterity required are not such that they exclude players. The tactics are important, but can be learned quickly as the enemy behaviour is consistent. And the game doesn't require you to memorise massive sequences to be able progress.
Sure, most modern day games nanny the player and would have you restart from the current screen when you die, but the unforgiving old school approach is welcome here.

Perhaps a compromise where you restart from the current section when you die might be reasonable as an 'easy' mode, but its by no means necessary.

An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)