News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New recording of Out Run OST cassette

Started by khaz, 19:37, 14 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

I tried to listen to the recordings already available on the web and they were... not well made. The one on cpc-power is clipping and terribly compressed, and the one on worldofspectrum is full of wow and flutter. So I decided to make my own! The cassette is played on a Sony TC-D5M as Type I and Dolby NR OFF, line-out to line-in of a computer with Audacity with default settings. The result is a .WAV Stereo, 44100Hz 32-bit float, compressed with 7zip.

I've uploaded it here:
http://dl.free.fr/rabNQKoyU
(The link will self-destruct after 30 days without download)

I'm trying to contact the various webmasters, but if you happen to know them feel free to redirect them here :)

I'm not claiming any authorship whatsoever, anyone can use this file in any way they see fit, without having to quote me. I just want better recordings on the internet! Cassettes were bad enough on their own, they don't need terrible recordings to make them sound worse.

ukmarkh

Awesome! Maybe CPC Wiki could find somewhere to store it, I know that Gryzor is a bit of a CPC Outrun fan.

Shaun M. Neary

Oh God, I remember this thing.

Like a complete saddo, I followed the instructions and even went a step further and actually moved my twin tape deck on top of my Amstrads monitor so the sound was close to the computer as I played this tape.

I guess I did anything I could to convince myself that I didn't waste £12.50IR in 1988 on this.

I would just like to point out that if 2017 Shaun could murder 1988 Shaun, he would do so in a heartbeat.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

CraigsBar

Lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

mr_lou

I remember this too!  :)
Actually searched for it some years back too!

Thanks!

Shaun M. Neary

There's an even funnier story linked to this, now that I remember. The tape deck remained on top of the monitor for several years. And then a mate of mine noticed that when the speedlock blue border loader from tape ran, the top of the border was strangely pink. We simply thought "that's odd", and didn't think any more of it as it didn't interfere with the game play as the border wasn't used.

The room layout got changed and the twin deck was moved to a locker beside it. And a year later the layout got moved again and the border issues happened again, cos the twin deck was on top of the monitor.

Another mate saw this and immediately tweaked it. "You idiot, Neary! What's inside speakers?!". Me in 1992 wasn't exactly technically minded at the time, so I shrugged it off.

"Magnets you fool! Take the tape deck off the monitor!"
Problem solved immediately. Was hilarious at the time as it had been happening for the best part of two years and we never thought it would be something so simple.  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

What average consumers are expected to know. :-)

This is still a problem even today. I see it often when I visit recycle stores: CRT TV's standing there perfectly innocent, placed right next to huge bigass speakers.

In the beginning I used to tell the store that this setup wasn't good for the TV. But after a while I gave up.

Shaun M. Neary

I think they're alright for as long as they're not powered on, but I can't be sure.

Carnivius

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:12, 14 September 17
I would just like to point out that if 2017 Shaun could murder 1988 Shaun, he would do so in a heartbeat.

But then 2017 Shaun wouldn't exist to kill 1988 Shaun so 1988 Shaun would live..to become 2017 Shaun who would go back to kill...
yep... you'd have ripped open the fabric of space and time and doomed us all just cos CPC Outrun was crap. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Carnivius on 15:04, 24 September 17
But then 2017 Shaun wouldn't exist to kill 1988 Shaun so 1988 Shaun would live..to become 2017 Shaun who would go back to kill...
yep... you'd have ripped open the fabric of space and time and doomed us all just cos CPC Outrun was crap.

That's the most beautiful example of repetition I have ever read. Well done!

Gryzor

Quote from: khaz on 19:37, 14 September 17
I tried to listen to the recordings already available on the web and they were... not well made. The one on cpc-power is clipping and terribly compressed, and the one on worldofspectrum is full of wow and flutter. So I decided to make my own! The cassette is played on a Sony TC-D5M as Type I and Dolby NR OFF, line-out to line-in of a computer with Audacity with default settings. The result is a .WAV Stereo, 44100Hz 32-bit float, compressed with 7zip.

I've uploaded it here:
http://dl.free.fr/rabNQKoyU
(The link will self-destruct after 30 days without download)

I'm trying to contact the various webmasters, but if you happen to know them feel free to redirect them here :)

I'm not claiming any authorship whatsoever, anyone can use this file in any way they see fit, without having to quote me. I just want better recordings on the internet! Cassettes were bad enough on their own, they don't need terrible recordings to make them sound worse.

Ah that's really nice :) I really appreciate the effort, this goes on my workout playlist :)

And yes, we could host it here somewhere, but does it need to be 60MB zipped? I would bet that even with a lossless compression it would be quite smaller?

Quote from: ukmarkh on 19:53, 14 September 17
Awesome! Maybe CPC Wiki could find somewhere to store it, I know that Gryzor is a bit of a CPC Outrun fan.

Ahaha glad you remember :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:01, 28 September 17
And yes, we could host it here somewhere, but does it need to be 60MB zipped? I would bet that even with a lossless compression it would be quite smaller?

Well .WAV is completely uncompressed, so at least anything could be made from it.
I'd suggest making it into both FLAC and maybe 320kbps mp3 for those who want to use it on portable players.

FLAC was a great idea in theory, but in practice, very few devices play it natively.

khaz

Encoding it to flac 16bit makes it a 40MB file, better than the 60MB zip of a 130MB wav.
cpc-power made it a 128kbps mp3 for people who can't download large files.