Author Topic: Doomsday Lost Echoes (Released)  (Read 20556 times)

Offline TotO

• 6128 Plus
    • ?area=showdonations;u=4
    • Cent Pour Cent [dot net]
  • Liked: 2044
Re: Doomsday Lost Echoes (New text adventure [WIP])
« Reply #190 on: 22:15, 04 June 16 »
Is peoples using CP/M from ROM (|EMS), will be able to run the game from the drive A: without requiring a second drive?  :)
Unregistered from CPCwiki forum.

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
  • Liked: 880
« Reply #191 on: 23:50, 04 June 16 »
Is peoples using CP/M from ROM (|EMS), will be able to run the game from the drive A: without requiring a second drive?  :)

Yes, you can start the game directly from CP/M if you are using a ROM  :) . However, you will not have the possibility to use the font selector, the game will use the standard system font (or the font you have loaded in your CP/M). There is a reason for the two floppies: the files do not fit in a single one even if it is 720KB. We would need a 1.44MB disc if we want just one, and these are not so common. However, all the 3.5" drives are compatible with the other capacity. Being the things like that, and considering that not everybody knows more than the standard RUN"DISC command, I thought that it would be better to use a couple of floppies. The first one just loads the operating system and sets up everything for the game in a transparent way. The second contains the relevant files for the adventure  :)

On the other hand, it is not very possible to play with PAWS standard setup and change the overall behavior of the parser and the graphic patch, that is the reason why we cannot do fancy things like using memory expansions to store lots of graphics and prevent the real time loading. Actually, the graphic patch for the PAWS was released much later than the parser itself, I think that there is not commercial game using it. In a 128KB computer all the RAM is basically full (the whole first block is for the CP/M, the second for the game) but since each graphic uses only 8KB I managed to squeeze two of them in the memory. This means that at least you will be able to go back to the previous location without loading from the floppy. If we had something like a X-MASS driver for CP/M, then yes, everything would run really fast  :)

Offline talrek

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 162
« Reply #192 on: 10:20, 05 July 16 »
Hi, great news !!
Do you plan to make something like a X-MASS or another device  install program ?
So you could copy all needed files to the mass device, and play from it ?

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #193 on: 10:55, 05 July 16 »
That would be entirely possible, yes, but we would need a X-MASS driver for CP/M Plus. The other option I was considering was to use the X-MEM as RAM disc but the game is just too big!  :D Sadly, making a driver is way beyond my skills  :-X

Offline TotO

• 6128 Plus
    • ?area=showdonations;u=4
    • Cent Pour Cent [dot net]
  • Liked: 2044
« Reply #194 on: 12:11, 05 July 16 »
In a 128KB computer all the RAM is basically full but since each graphic uses only 8KB I managed to squeeze two of them in the memory
You can't store the GFx packed into the memory and unpack them only when displayed?
Unregistered from CPCwiki forum.

Offline khaz

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 121
« Reply #195 on: 12:18, 05 July 16 »
Just you guys wait, they will find a way to compress the data / shove some code off, just enough to make it fit on a single 3.5 disc, and implement the Orion Prime loader.

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #196 on: 12:27, 05 July 16 »
I canĀ“t because I am using the original graphics patch that was made for the PAWS in the early 90s  :) The program basically looks for the graphics in the same floppy where the adventure is and it does not offer many fancy things besides loading them in real time. The good news is that if your graphics are just 8 KB (like in our case, because half of the screen is for the text) you can store two of them in the RAM. However, it would be possible to use something like the X-MASS, given the appropriate driver, to store the whole game and read it from there (it is a little bit less than 1 MB). The other possibility would be to use the Y-MEM as RAM disk and patch the CP/M Plus, however, as we discussed, not so many people has it  :D

On the bright side, even loading the graphics in real time the game is actually not so slow. Definitely faster than The Guild of Thieves, and offers the possibility to save the game in the same floppy of the adventure, no switching at all. In any case, the TGOT is impressive, I perfectly understand why it is so slow.
« Last Edit: 15:36, 05 July 16 by ||C|-|E|| »

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #197 on: 13:43, 26 July 16 »
Soooo... updates, updates!

- The RC1 will be available soon to send to the final couple of testers (finally!  :D ) Actually, I compiled and put everything together yesterday. I just need to go one more time trough it myself and check that everything is OK  :) In the meantime, Dani will do the web page that accompanies the game, a trailer and the edition of the final version of the manual. Everything should be over by the end of August, when the final testers will receive the game. Playing the adventure one more time and do the final testing would take a few more weeks, but it is OK because September is going to be a crazy month for me anyway. However, the final release should be soon enough, most likely between October and November. It is possible that the texts corresponding to the intro and the endings still receive a revision, though  :)

- On the other hand, Rhino joined the team and made a supercool AMSDOS loader for the game that displays our final loading screens in mb0. They look amazing in the CRT  :-*

- Finally, regarding a physical edition, the plans are to release the game first and then, depending of how much you like it, discuss if it is worth it. There are several options but we have quite clear that, in case we decide to make it, it will be something really special, for collectors  :)

Loic DANEELS

« Reply #198 on: 11:11, 27 July 16 »
I'll save you time, I already love it (and I suspect many do).
It is very clear you have put a lot of efforts in the game & I'm sure it will show in the final release.
Maybe it won't be the next Guild of Thieves or Zork (while it doesn't feature graphics, you can't argue with the quality of Infocom games), but it doesn't need to be.
At any rate, thank you for working on it for us & I'm sure a lot of CPC enthusiasts will echo my feeling & want a physical release.
I, for one, cannot wait wait to play through it.

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #199 on: 16:12, 27 July 16 »
Thank you so much for your words!

Infocom games are masterpieces, it is even difficult to thing about reaching the same levels  of quality! The other day I was playing Guild of Thieves again in the Amstrad and I was really impressed by some of the things, like the capacity of the parser to take you back to previously visited places or the amount of sentences that is able to understand. The advantage we had here is that, although this is a text adventure, it is also a 2016 game. We assumed that nobody would play for 3 months trying to solve it and therefore we introduced different levels of complexity. The "main" story is the easiest part, with a difficulty level that scales when you advance. In fact, the first puzzles are very simple, just to let you get familiar with the parser and the adventure. Then we have the 3 side quests that go from the: reasonably acceptable to quite difficult. Finally, there is an easter egg, with plenty of puzzles. This one is almost impossible, a nod to the crazy old good times. The first person solving it (if there is one!) will receive a physical reward  :D Each of the side quests, and the easter egg, add a substantial amount of lore to the story.

Another thing we tried to do is to create a parser that is able to understand many many things. There are around 5 o 6 verbs you can use to perform the essential actions. If you know the answer of a puzzle, you will be able to solve it no matter your level of english.  This seemed to work very well, since some of the testers were not english experts and they managed to go through the game without problems. I am personally very happy about this :) . Testing was also really useful to tune some parts that were either too easy or a bit too complicated, I think that all the people made a wonderful job here  :-* .