Author Topic: Doomsday Lost Echoes - Released and now with Physical Edition  (Read 23930 times)

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
  • Liked: 926
Re: Doomsday Lost Echoes (Released)
« Reply #220 on: 04:23, 01 November 16 »
Thank you for the comments! I have fixed the TXT and we will upload the corrected version during the night! :)

Regarding the write protection, actually at least the second disc should be unprotected all the time, because it is best to use it to save your games while you are playing  :) (there is space for around 140 saves in there!)

Offline khaz

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #221 on: 04:40, 01 November 16 »
Regarding the write protection, actually at least the second disc should be unprotected all the time, because it is best to use it to save your games while you are playing  :) (there is space for around 140 saves in there!)

That did throw me off at first, as I loaded the rar into winape without really thinking. I was surprised to get a write error while loading, it's a bit counter-intuitive; I would have expected an error when trying to save the font or the game, not before. Is writing a mandatory step during loading? I know some people like to keep their data on write-protected discs, and use a separate disc to save their game, to try to minimize the risk of corruption. Though it's much less of a problem on a non-copy-protected game like yours, which can be rewritten at will.

In any case, that's completely inconsequential to my enjoyment of the game. It's way too late here to even try to understand the story, but I can look at the pretty pictures! I do want to see these high-res intro pics on a proper CRT, not in emulation.

Offline arnoldemu

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
  • Liked: 1964
« Reply #222 on: 08:58, 01 November 16 »
I just started to play it. I wish I had read the PDF because it answered a lot of questions.

Presentation is nice. :) Descriptions and location graphics are really atmospheric.

First thing I found is that I needed two drives to play it properly. If I tried to play it with one drive, then CPM was asking me to insert disc into drive A, then B, then A etc LOL. After I used two drives it worked much better.

Question: Is there a command for viewing the room graphics and description again? I tried "look" and "examine" (on it's own) and neither work.

I discovered "exits" lists the directions.

I also tried to use "take" and that didn't seem to work but the I found "get" works fine.

Now I will go back and read the manual ;) :-[

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Offline MiguelSky

• 464 Plus
    • CPCGamesCD
  • Liked: 121
« Reply #223 on: 10:12, 01 November 16 »
Question: Is there a command for viewing the room graphics and description again? I tried "look" and "examine" (on it's own) and neither work.
Try with R o REDES (from REDESCRIBE).

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #224 on: 12:53, 01 November 16 »
Glad you are linking the graphics!!  :D

That did throw me off at first, as I loaded the rar into winape without really thinking. I was surprised to get a write error while loading, it's a bit counter-intuitive; I would have expected an error when trying to save the font or the game, not before. Is writing a mandatory step during loading? I know some people like to keep their data on write-protected discs, and use a separate disc to save their game, to try to minimize the risk of corruption. Though it's much less of a problem on a non-copy-protected game like yours, which can be rewritten at will.

In principle you can use a different disc to save your games, but then you would need to introduce the disc of the adventure back as soon as your game is saved because although the game itself stays in the RAM all the graphics are read in real time. To load a game this way you would need to exchange the disc again, type "load", write the name of the file and insert the adventureĀ“s floppy in the drive when the game is loaded :). Good news is that you have RAM save and RAM load commands, so you would only need to do this once if you want. In any case, since the game is not write protected, I think that I would just stick with the "original" floppy, hehe.

I just started to play it. I wish I had read the PDF because it answered a lot of questions.
First thing I found is that I needed two drives to play it properly. If I tried to play it with one drive, then CPM was asking me to insert disc into drive A, then B, then A etc LOL. After I used two drives it worked much better.
I discovered "exits" lists the directions.
I also tried to use "take" and that didn't seem to work but the I found "get" works fine.
Now I will go back and read the manual ;) :-[

So yes, all the info is in the PDF, hehe  :D . To pick and drop objects the commands are GET and DROP. To wear a wearable thing you need to use WEAR and to remove it REMOVE. You can re-describe a location with R, as Miguel said, and typing EXITS or Z you will see all the possible exits. The reason of this is that in English we have many verbs that can be used in different contexts with different meanings as well. For example, you can say "take the stick", but also "take off the sweater". You want to avoid using words that in the game could have different meanings depending on the situation because it would make everything much more difficult to parse. It is possible, but we would be using lots of precious RAM writing condacts to deal with these situations :).

Regarding the use of two floppy drives, it is very recommended but not strictly necessary  :) . For example, I am using just one in my modded 464 Plus. The thing is that the first floppy is in charge to load the CP/M plus and configure it in the proper way. It sets the text font and executes a tool that sets the drive B as a high density one. Then, it switches to the drive B and loads the game. If you only have one drive, in my computer there is an error when switching to the unit B, so you have to manually insert the second disc, type B: and then DOOMSDAY to load the game. This is somehow a bit annoying but we were not able to overcome the problem :'( .

Offline Rhino

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #225 on: 15:59, 01 November 16 »
It looks great and hope to have time to start playing seriously. I like the Mike character. Congratulations to everyone involved!

Offline khaz

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #226 on: 16:48, 01 November 16 »
I'll add to the complaint of lacking "take", "look", "examine", these are staples of the genre. I couldn't pass the first screen because I wasn't paying attention in my first try and couldn't get the description back, or take any items.

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
« Reply #227 on: 18:04, 01 November 16 »
So yes, it is probably necessary to have a look at the PDF first and see how the parser works. To get something you use GET, to drop it DROP, to wear it WEAR and to remove it REMOVE. EX, EXAMINE, LOOK and X are all accepted and equivalent and, to describe a screen again, you just need to type R, REDES or REDESCRIBE. To get all the objects type GET ALL  :)   These are the standard commands for most PAWED adventures and all the actions you are used to see in many games are here as well (besides the famous AGAIN)  :) .

« Last Edit: 18:39, 01 November 16 by ||C|-|E|| »

Offline remax

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 272
« Reply #228 on: 21:48, 01 November 16 »
I find it funny (and nice) to mix a real 3" disk with a virtual one from the HXC...

Kind of a modern/classic marriage.

I only started the game, but my first impression is it feels like a very well polished professionnal production from the older times... Not an amateurish production at all.

Offline FloppySoftware

• CPC6128
  • The best team: Amstrad PCW, CP/M, and the Z80 cpu.
    • Floppy Software
  • Liked: 230
« Reply #229 on: 22:46, 01 November 16 »
I suppose that now, once the game is finished, you are fully available to develop the PCW version. Or am I wrong?

;) :D

Don't be in a hurry, you know, but there is a potential gamer here: that's me.  :P

Congratulations for the game, it will be a big success for sure.

:)

floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es