News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Doomsday Lost Echoes - Released and now with Physical Edition

Started by ||C|-|E||, 00:18, 31 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

hahahaha, it will take some time, you still have plenty of time to prepare the weapons  :D

TFM

Lasersword just fine polished. Can't wait to play it, and I will report everything I get stuck - and I will.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

||C|-|E||

More news!  :D

This time I decided to give them sooner that usual and then the post can be shorter  :picard:

- The basic code is already finished and I have been testing it for a while looking for game breaking bugs (I did not find them). This will still continue for a little bit more time, since we are having new ideas from time to time and I am going through it again and again to add as much detail as possible. The "exits" command is implemented, it works very well and the same is true for the death screen.

- We added many additional cut scenes.

- All the essential graphics of the game are already made as well, Dani was working like crazy during the last month but they look beautiful. However, we still need to prepare the graphics for the introduction, the three endings, the cut scenes and the death screens :) . They are a huge bunch, more than 50.

- I still need to add a decent font for the text.

- In before, I was testing the adventure in Mode 2 and using text only; now, I am testing it using Mode 1 and all the graphics, this allows to check if everything falls in place, there is not too much scrolling, empty blank lines, etc. I am mostly testing it at the same speed a player will see the game in a real CPC, this lets me to appreciate the pace much better  :) .

- We are already preparing an instruction manual, with quite a lot of lore and detailed info. However, we still did not make much of it.

Regarding the RAM, etc., nothing changed. The game is as fat as in before (53-54KB when compiled as a .COM file) and requires a floppy unit, but runs quite decently. Even loading all the graphics in real time, speed is higher than in vectorial graphics based games (or roughly the same) so it is very acceptable. Of course, if you want to run it in a real CPC with a floppy unit you can expect it to be reading all the time...  I have an HXC installed on mine so at least it is silent  :picard:

About testing, we have TFM volunteering and is polishing his lasersword...  ;D

||C|-|E||

And this is nothing, I created this reply by mistake  :picard:

Gryzor

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 19:27, 27 November 15
And this is nothing, I created this reply by mistake  :picard:

I'm sensing a hint for the game... :D

||C|-|E||

Soooo... it is time to decide about game fonts. I actually managed to find a few decent candidates (thx FloppySoftware  :-* !) and we are trying to decide which one fits the game best in term of aesthetics and readability. I have prepared some screenshots of the introduction with different fonts so, if somebody is interested, he/she can tell which one he/she likes the most!  :D

Font1
[attachimg=1]

Font2
[attachimg=2]

Font3
[attachimg=3]

Font4
[attachimg=4]

Font5
[attachimg=5]

Font6
[attachimg=6]

I personally liked the 2, because I thought that was quite fitting, unfortunately we think that is not very readable. Font3 and font4 do not seem to be very fitting, but maybe Font5 or 6 are actually good candidates. The most readable one seems to be Font6.

Any more opinions?  :)

remax

i would say Font 1 or Font 6... The other ones exhaust me in advance...
Brain Radioactivity

Targhan

Font6, no hesitation for me.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

FloppySoftware

Quote from: remax on 11:52, 03 December 15
i would say Font 1 or Font 6... The other ones exhaust me in advance...

Agreed!
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

Gryzor

||C|-|E||

So, apparently, it is going to be Font6  :D

Gryzor

robcfg

I prefer Font 2, the others don't have the sci fi touch

Gryzor

Well that's true, but the important part is actually reading the text, isn't it?

reidrac

Agreed that font 2 is nicer (sci-fi themed) but I find font 4 to be most readable.

Perhaps font 4 can be tweaked to be more like font 2.

EDIT: yes, font 6 is very readable... but I find it too bold. Anyway, my 2 cents!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

robcfg

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:15, 03 December 15
Well that's true, but the important part is actually reading the text, isn't it?

Sure, but I have no problem reading it. Maybe a font like Megacorps' or Mantis' one?

Bryce

Font 2 is most fitting to the subject. Font 3 is "Ye olde..." gothic type and just wrong for this.
I'd choose 6 for readability, but I think all of them would be more readable if the line spacing was increased.

Bryce.

Joseman

font 6 for me too

||C|-|E||

Megacorp font is actually very nice, although I do not know if much more readable that Font2. Sadly, I do not even have the source to try  :picard:

[attachimg=1]

robcfg

I hope the attached images are of use  ;)

Gryzor

Well, it's nice and more readable, but still not really so. Plus, it's all caps, which is a definite no-go in terms of readability!

||C|-|E||

So, since the majority thinks that Font6 is probably the best, I have put it as the "default" font for the game. Of course, we can always change it if we find something better!  :) (suggestions are very welcome)

MiguelSky

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 15:32, 03 December 15
Megacorp font is actually very nice, although I do not know if much more readable that Font2. Sadly, I do not even have the source to try  :picard:

[attachimg=1]

You can get the Megacorp Font yourself by mean of FontGen

TFM

imho font 2 just fits to the game.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Sykobee (Briggsy)

1 or 6. Probably 6.

Shame that PAWS text rendering can't use non-proportional fonts.

2 is "70s futuristic" indeed, but for long term readability it's a no, unless you make the setfont loader allow the user to override. Or select their own font even.