News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Next game from Cargosoft...

Started by Targhan, 18:19, 02 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

robcfg

Quote from: Targhan on 17:58, 07 October 16
... Something is going to happen on Monday... Just sayin' :) .

Trg.Aks

Finally! A monday that doesn't suck!  :D

CraigsBar

This Monday was never gonna suck.... I have tickets for Jean Michel Jarre in Dublin. But now it just got a whole lot better!

robcfg

No spoilers, please!

I have tickets for JMJ in Stockholm, hehe  8)

||C|-|E||

I am really happy to hear about the new game!  :D :D

ldaneels

Oh yes, bring it on ! Plus I love Shanghai games :)
Monday cannot come fast enough.

CraigsBar

And now a rumoured symbos 3 public beta with albireo mouse, m4 WiFi and storage. Awesome Monday! ;)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I'm intrigued by the new display mode. I guess it uses quite a bit of CPU time, as Mahjong isn't the most intensive of games!

But how fast can the CPC swap a colour palette entry? Every 4 characters maybe if you can fit the palette switch into 4 nops, so if the tiles are 32 pixels wide ...

And with tile stacking, say 4 pixels high per tile on a stack, you only need to store the palette change data every 4 lines, so a table 10x50 for a mode 1 sized screen (maybe this game uses overscan too, so 12x64). And whilst the screen is being scanned, you cannot do anything else. Wait, what would be better is to have the table as z80 code to save reads, a run-time assembled mode? A stream of LD A,n : OUT (&gatearraypaletteaddress),A (but 5 nops? - or could you use LD A,r with pre-populated register values for 4 nops?) to the gate array?

It's a poor man's attribute mode in some ways, but it's easy to imagine how it could be used in many games that don't have high CPU needs. E.g., above view RPG...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Targhan on 17:58, 07 October 16
... Something is going to happen on Monday... Just sayin' :) .

Trg.Aks
Thank you for the notice. I will prepare a cushion for my chin to drop on to.  :D
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

PulkoMandy

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 14:46, 09 October 16
But how fast can the CPC swap a colour palette entry? Every 4 characters maybe if you can fit the palette switch into 4 nops, so if the tiles are 32 pixels wide ...

No, this is not how it's done. No palette changes involved. And there is enough CPU time left to play digidrums!

andycadley

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 08:19, 10 October 16

No, this is not how it's done. No palette changes involved. And there is enough CPU time left to play digidrums!
Interesting. I'd considered trying the tight palette switching thing myself and one of those Mahjong tile matching games seemed like the best candidate.

The only other way I can think of is alternating images each frame, which works for some but o tend to find headache inducing. Will have to give it a try tonight.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 08:19, 10 October 16

Nice, and I presume it's not switching images as that flickers and would give around 6-8 usable colours (the ones that aren't too high-contrast pairs). So maybe a MODE 0 hack?

I look forward to trying it out at home.