News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pang remix

Started by dthrone, 13:04, 01 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

dthrone

If you're anything like me then you'll have played Pang to death on your GX4000/plus.

Attached is a little remix just to make things a bit different.  The game is exactly the same except the balloons now start each level moving in the opposite direction.  In some cases it can change how a level plays out quite significantly, in other cases not so much...  There are a handful of levels where you'd better get out of the way quick  ;)

Surely an excuse for another playthrough  :D

mr_lou

That's a great idea! Could be done for many games I imagine.  :)

Phantomz

@dthrone

Thanks for this.  8)

It's a great game, but this does give an excuse for another playthrough yes!  ;D

Some people might need a little helping hand so I've added the infinite lives cheat to the game if that's ok with you.

JayBlood

Thank a lot for sharing! ;) Great remix here!
Jay

Gryzor

Haha that's a great idea! I was a big Pang fan back in the day, time to go through it again :D

(I was able to reach the last level aτ the arcades, but never beat it. Damn.)

dthrone

Haha, glad a few people are having fun with it  :)

If anyone's interested in the technical side -

The balloons have status bytes which are copied into the RAM when a level is loaded.  The value in the cart represents the initial conditions for the balloon.

Bit 2 in these status bytes tells you whether the ball is moving left or right, toggling these bits in the cart reverses their initial direction.  The only annoying thing is locating the status bytes because they're not spread out uniformly.  But the next couple of bytes are the initial balloon sprite x position which has a very limited range of values so you can use this to be sure you're looking at the correct byte.

Another trick, Bit 7 in these status bytes says whether the balloon is still active – setting these bits to zero in the RAM is an easy way to skip levels.