News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pinball Dreams, new game from Batman Group!!

Started by Joseman, 13:28, 17 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy Dude

As I have never used an Amiga it's a bit of an eye opener to see how the Amstrads colours look stronger.

pelrun

The Amiga's got a 4096-colour palette to choose from, so there's no need for them to go all-or-nothing on saturation. The CPC, on the other hand...  :P

ivarf

Quote from: pelrun on 09:56, 07 October 19
The Amiga's got a 4096-colour palette to choose from, so there's no need for them to go all-or-nothing on saturation. The CPC, on the other hand...  :P

but later on I discovered the Sega Master system and Sega Dreamcast. They used  strong clear colour, just like my Amstrad. The Master system has a palette of 64 colours and the Dreamcast has a palette of 16.7 million colours. I think the strong colours seen in many Sega games is by choice.   8)

||C|-|E||

That kind of color choice is very typical in many Megadrive games too, yep. Sonic series is a great example, but there are many many others :).

chinnyhill10

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 10:25, 18 September 16
Converting a few loading screens is one thing, to convert the full game is quite another. Why not shots of the actual game?

Time will tell. But we're used to big promises, a few screen shots, and then nothing happening sadly.

Look at this idiot who has to eat his words!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

VincentGR

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:20, 07 October 19

A man who admits something is a true man not an idiot.

mr_lou

TotO

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 21:12, 07 October 19That kind of color choice is very typical in many Megadrive games too, yep. Sonic series is a great example, but there are many many others :) .
The colours are flashy because the RGB palette bit-depth. It is more a no choice than a choice, on Megadrive too (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue) because it was limited to 512 instead of 4096 shades of colours to save the internal CRAM and embed the SMS retro-compatibility (display and sound) instead. >:(
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

VincentGR

Quote from: TotO on 08:38, 08 October 19
The colours are flashy because the RGB palette bit-depth. It is more a no choice than a choice, on Megadrive too (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue) because it was limited to 512 instead of 4096 shades of colours to save the internal CRAM and embed the SMS retro-compatibility (display and sound) instead. >:(

MD2 had a 12bit palette and guess what, no one utilized it  ;D
Compatibility issues would be devastating for old users.
And as far as I remember by reading a magazine, it also had an extra chip.
Dunno if this was just a rumor and can't remember what it could do.

TotO

Quote from: VincentGR on 09:06, 08 October 19MD2 had a 12bit palette and guess what, no one utilized it  ;D
I doubt about that. Only 9bit palette too, sadly.

Quote from: VincentGR on 09:06, 08 October 19Compatibility issues would be devastating for old users.And as far as I remember by reading a magazine, it also had an extra chip. Dunno if this was just a rumor and can't remember what it could do.
9bit on MD are ---- -bbb -ggg -rrr and a compatible 12bit is ---- bbbb gggg rrrr so no compatibility problems for old games I think.
The new MD2 chip is to embed more circuits into one to save money and design. No extra... (except the audio DAC resolution)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

ASiC

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:20, 07 October 19

You must do a public apology video on your channel, Bill Clinton style  :P :P

ivarf

Yeaaaah to the flashy colours!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Meeeehhh to the plus colours and shades in brown and grey.    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thats how I feel. Do anyone agree?

TotO

Quote from: ivarf on 11:35, 08 October 19

Yeaaaah to the flashy colours!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Meeeehhh to the plus colours and shades in brown and grey.    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thats how I feel. Do anyone agree?
We are not speaking about the same thing.  :-\ ;)

ivarf

Quote from: TotO on 11:37, 08 October 19
We are not speaking about the same thing.  :-\ ;)

Maybe, but I am thankful that most plus games games still uses the strong saturated Sega/Amstrad colours.

On another note, it's so great to see that this game was released. I still feel an urge or even a need for supporting Rhino/Batman Group by Paetron...

robcfg

I'd like to ask @Rhino about the BG logo animation at the beginning, as I'm mesmerized by how fluent it is.

VincentGR

Quote from: robcfg on 21:05, 08 October 19
I'd like to ask @Rhino about the BG logo animation at the beginning, as I'm mesmerized by how fluent it is.

Two friends keep asking me this since it was released.
I told them that this is pure sorcery...

Skunkfish

Quote from: VincentGR on 21:24, 08 October 19

Two friends keep asking me this since it was released.
I told them that this is pure sorcery...
It reminds me a little of the spinning Batman logo from the Batman Forever demo, only that one didn't scale its size on the fly. I guess a similar technique is used?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ASiC on 11:05, 08 October 19
You must do a public apology video on your channel, Bill Clinton style  :P :P

Thursday night!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

The colours are flashy because the RGB palette bit-depth.

Important to note that when played on a CRT the colours are far less garish as the case with all CPC games. And the game makes the point at least twice that original hardware is needed. Which presumably also means a CRT as well.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

mr_lou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 00:56, 09 October 19
Important to note that when played on a CRT the colours are far less garish as the case with all CPC games. And the game makes the point at least twice that original hardware is needed. Which presumably also means a CRT as well.

Or at least make sure you get all 50 fps. In my experience a plain scart cable doesn't do this on a LED screen for some reason, though people tells me it should, I'm just not seeing it.
But if you use a Framemeister or alike, to make sure all 50 fps are shown in sync with the display, then that'll be good too I think.

EDIT: Though come to think of it, the Framemeister probably won't work with the screenmode used. I'll do a test when I find time.

roudoudou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 00:56, 09 October 19

My monitors are modern CRT TV so the colors are still flashy with a good contrast (and i like it  ;D )
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

ivarf

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 00:54, 09 October 19

Thursday night!

I hope you have a Amstrad CPC colour monitor there too. I am unsure how your screen grabbing gear will handle Pinball Dreams. I hope it will look great. As always, I am looking forward to your next show

VincentGR

naaah just a camera at 50fps and direct to monitor, this is the way for this specific masterpiece  ;D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:50, 09 October 19
Or at least make sure you get all 50 fps. In my experience a plain scart cable doesn't do this on a LED screen for some reason, though people tells me it should, I'm just not seeing it.

Captured at 50fps, I have one frame of CPC animation for every frame captured. So as far as that goes I'm good.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

mr_lou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 15:12, 09 October 19Captured at 50fps, I have one frame of CPC animation for every frame captured. So as far as that goes I'm good.

Then you just gotta make sure you watch said 50 fps video on a 50hz (compatible) screen rather than the usual 60hz PC monitor.