News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Point-and-click graphic adventures CPC

Started by jason9, 16:03, 25 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

jason9

Hello,

tryed to ask also in other forums but not so lucky... would like to know what valid point-and-click graphic adventure have been released on the CPC apart from the great B.A.T. and Orion Prime . And: [/size]no LucasArt or Sierra games has been ever ported to CPC? Tx

[/size]J[/size]

jason9

Sorry, some issue formatting the text in the provipous post, anyway:

would like to know what valid point-and-click graphic adventure have been released on the CPC apart from the great B.A.T. and Orion Prime . And: no LucasArt or Sierra games has been ever ported to CPC? Tx

jason9

would like to know what valid point-and-click graphic adventure have been released on the CPC apart from the great B.A.T. and Orion Prime . And: no LucasArt or Sierra games has been ever ported to CPC? Tx

Shaun M. Neary

There's been a few. Captain Blood comes to mind, same with The Inheritance.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Nich

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dcdrac on 23:34, 25 April 17
BAT

LOL... Guess who didn't read post #3?  ;D 

Quote from: jason9 on 16:06, 25 April 17
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

MiguelSky

I think Zombi (and Hurlements) can be considered a sort of point&click game too.

Nich

Quote from: MiguelSky on 01:47, 26 April 17
I think Zombi (and Hurlements) can be considered a sort of point&click game too.

And seeing as you mentioned Ubi Soft games, you could also try Le Maître des Âmes and Le Maître Absolu. I would class them as role-playing games, but they both use a point-and-click GUI. You'll need to understand French to play them, though (and to read the instruction manuals ;)).

Cholo

Vera Cruz, Yes Prime Minister and The Fourth Protocol i think has "mouse" like cursor (but like most games controlled by the joystick) so i guess you could call em "point & click" games at least. However the whole "2D adventure" is a hard one to fullfill.

Seen from a early 80'ies point of view only a madman would spend time on programming unnesseary extra animations for having the char move around & porbably just get stuck anyway on things if it had to find its own way (even more programming etc). Also taking control away from the human player, making it less playable? Absolut nonsence when thinking that you often didnt even have space for music or even sound at all .. who would be mad enough to spend time on speechbubbles, dialogue options etc. Hehe.

Its fun that you can see the origins of the 2D click & point adventure in the early games though, like the "auch"speechbubble in Doomsday Blues. Searching things in Mission Elevator and getting a explanation , look-eat-use menu's like How to be a Complete Bastard. The puzzle parts of taking an object and use it somewhere else is done in a myriad of games from Tarzan to Tusker. However i guess the true origin is probably the text adventures that slowly transformed from being full on text, then into the odd Tau Ceti where you point at things but still needs to type commands and then finally into the "click on it and expect to be entertained with long dialogue, options and hopefully cheasy slapstick animations"-adventure.

I guess its worth mentioning a couple of other games that comes close if you disreguard the 2D char:
- Castle Master (and all the other Freescape 3D games really)
- Bloodwynch
- Cholo
- Pirates!

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Indeed, the C64 had quite a few because a lot of C64 users got disk drives (at least in the states) and they made these games possible due to having to load the graphics.

MiguelSky

Vera Cruz only uses the icon selection at first screen, where you have to collect evidences. It's not used anymore later in the game.

jason9

I was wondering: exactly was the problem in porting, during '80s and 90s, some famous LucasArts and Sierra games also to CpC? Just the fact that those was American games and CPC was not quite popular in US? But Lucasfilm Games ported other action games for our machine...so?
Also: it was an hardware/programming problem/limit? Considering what the CPC is able to do if smart coded (also in term of scrolling and sprites, not to say about graphics and color) was really so difficult to provide a (maybe better) port for such games developed for the C64 as Maniac Mansion or Zack?
Really can't get it.

ASiC

Quote from: jason9 on 12:59, 09 June 17
Just the fact that those was American games and CPC was not quite popular in US?

There, you just replied to your question yourself  :)
From a technical perspective, if the C64 can handle Manic Mansion the CPC could do it as well.

Targhan

The CPC is perfectly capable of handling Maniac Mansion type of game. Why no one did? Lazyness? Also, they require a large amount of gfx, which is costly.
As for why there was a Maniac Mansion on C64 and not on CPC, that's simply because the team that designed it started on C64.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime