News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quick question on Renegade/Target Renegade graphics

Started by sigh, 17:17, 07 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

I'll be doing more work this year on the game. There are some sprite construction lists that I need to create for arnoldemu, but I haven't managed to get round to doing it yet as I've been busy at work. *I wasn't able to work on it at ALL last year, but I'm definitely going to be making more progress on the graphics. I may need to change a few things to make less list for arnoldemu (things like having the walk cycles have the same coordinate positions for all the characters for example, even though they are different torso lengths for the female sprites).

Edited post: I meant I wasn't able to work on it all last year. I was out of the UK for a while finishing on another project, then went straight into work when I got back.

Gryzor

Thanks for the update, man! Looking forward!!

ukmarkh

Do you have any updates, might we expect a Christmas preview or launch?  :P 

sigh

Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:59, 30 October 16
Do you have any updates, might we expect a Christmas preview or launch?  :P

Helloooo!

There wont be any launch yet:)

I managed to finish a project this year that had been almost the bane of my life for an incredible number of years (a comic book). This happened in July and then I got back to the UK in August, but then had to fly off again for work. When I got back, I had tackle all the mold in my house, strip the wallpaper and throw away all the furniture, where I am now currently sleeping on air bed:D

The plasterer is coming round next week to do a "proper" job of it, rather than my poor attempt which left my room looking more like the bat cave rather than the smooth finish it's supposed to have. I absolutely HATE DIY with a passion!

So although I haven't touched the beat em up, the wonderful thing, is that I no longer have that other project on my conscience.
This means I can focus my full attention on the game once the decorating is done.

Lazy Dude

Maybe consider decorating the walls with screenshots, gets two jobs done in one  :P

ukmarkh

Thanks for the update, the CPC community keeps their fingers crossed for the arrival of what looks to be the best 'em up ever ;-)

Gryzor

sigh

Sorry!

It's still alive:) Been looking at the animation gameplay example I sent to arnoldemu a while back and have been thinking about the new levels I need to make, but it's been a super busy start to the year. However - before creating the new backgrounds, I need to finish that damn female fighter template I've been planning to do for ages, even though the game is constantly on my mind. I'm also having to redo a bit of the comic book I thought I had finished, as someone gave me some critical feedback that needs to address.

After that - a schedule for the animation side things can be worked out:)

Gryzor

Oooh thanks for the update, looking forward to it as always!

michellekg

Just recently found this topic. What a wonderful game this brawler can be!

Is it still alive though? Sigh, can you please share some new info about your game?

Ace

sigh

Hi.

The project is still alive. I haven't been active on my usual sites for a while due to leaky ceilings and having to buy a new bathroom because of it:( Also making preparations for a new contract job. From my last post in febuary I haven't worked on it yet as I was working at the time and also on the weekends too.
Sorry it's been so slow! I only just saw this post today before going to bed.

Also - it's not called Target Renegade 2. The current tile is "No Holds Barred". It's an old gif that doesn't even show the hud.  :)

sigh

Hi guys and gals:

The whole of Level 2 background has been finished (I'm just showing one section of it here) and I just finished designing the boss which is the large torso female. She is a sports type character, so all her minions will be wearing Rugby shirts of the same colour. Not to sure about her move list, but she'll probably have a rugby tackle as her super move and maybe a Volley ball serve as a grab attack.

ervin

Wow those trees look brilliant.
I wish I could pixel even 10% as well!

sigh

Quote from: ervin on 23:48, 26 June 18
Wow those trees look brilliant.
I wish I could pixel even 10% as well!
Thank you. Those trees were an absolute pain to pixel because  They took up so much tile space that I had to go back and forth as I didn't have enough space for the stadium (there is a sports stadium in the middle of the level and some high rise buildings at the end of the level) and had to limit the amount of grass tiles.
I didn't want to do "Tree tiling" like in Double Dragon(forest section) or in Target Renegade (Park section) as the repeating pattern can sometimes dilute the feeling of progression through a level.

ukmarkh

Looks bloody amazing! I wish we could see a video of this running...

sigh

Here is the Boss special move. As she is a sporty type character. she has some football(ish) looking moves:

She also has a grab move that ends in an overhead kick:

She will have 2 more types of sporty moves which will be a slide tackle (which replaces the barge) and maybe her ground attack could be football "kick ups/keep ups" but I fear that it may look too comical as I still want the game to have a gritty feel.
Tomorrow I will work on the sliding tackle and the "back heel" (behind attack).

ervin

That looks brilliant!
How long does it take to pixel and animate a character like that?

sigh

Quote from: ervin on 08:21, 25 July 18
That looks brilliant!
How long does it take to pixel and animate a character like that?
It takes a good while. There are limited frames on the sprite sheet in regards to legs so you end up doing more "thinking" than actual animating. You end up going through many iterations before you get something plausible.

Gryzor

Gorgeous; thanks for keeping us in the loop!

sigh

Update:

I have finished animating the second level boss and have also finished the template sprite set for the generic female enemy. What this means is that all male, female body templates have been completed. All I have to do now to create a new enemy sprite, is to trace over them with a different outfit, do a head swap and create 1 or 2 unique moves for them (which may add 3 - 5 additional torso sprites) and that's pretty much it.

For the bosses - they will need a bit more work, but I no longer have to spend so much time with generic moves "being hit"/"being KO'ed"/"Walking"etc as now they just need to be traced. This means that I can now concentrate on their unique abilities.

(updated with correct images)

Here are 2 designs for the female enemies. All torso animations have been completed for the green haired enemy who is being used as the base template.
Next week, I will be creating the level 2 enemy sprites. I'm going to have them all wearing the same outfit (tracksuit or sports top) as they are a "sports" gang.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

sigh

Happy new year!
Just a quick update:

I have almost finished animating the enemies for level 2. There is only 1 type of  enemy for this particular level as they have a lot more moves than the level 1 enemies, which meant that more torso animation frames were needed. They are all wearing the same gym/hoodie clothes as they are a sports type enemy.
After I have animated their grab attack and their special attack, i will be moving onto designing level 3, which will be a level that is a mixture of male and female enemies.

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: sigh on 19:29, 07 January 19
Happy new year!
Just a quick update:

I have almost finished animating the enemies for level 2. There is only 1 type of  enemy for this particular level as they have a lot more moves than the level 1 enemies, which meant that more torso animation frames were needed. They are all wearing the same gym/hoodie clothes as they are a sports type enemy.
After I have animated their grab attack and their special attack, i will be moving onto designing level 3, which will be a level that is a mixture of male and female enemies.

Well done! nice to look and hear some fresh news about this project  :)
On which software you design your showed sprites ? Amsprite software or else ?
Do you design the entire game alone ? very enjoyed about your project , keep on ! cheers.
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

doragasu

This project looks superb! Great graphics, animation and looks really fun to play!

I have read maybe 128 KiB will not be enough... that's reasonable judging by the big amount of animations and different characters. If you need more juice, just remember I have a cartridge design collecting dust. It has up to 8 MiB of ROM, a ROM to RAM DMA engine and 0% CPU overhead digital audio sample playing capabilities...