News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
K

R-Type

Started by Keith A Goodyer, 04:08, 25 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I don't think so, it's pretty evident it's a copy and he doesn't say otherwise... probably used it to test the drive.

TFM

He mentions it a part of the product to be sold. Call it a bait. However, it's not ok, to sell s/o elses game for profit.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Thank you TFM.
No worry, I'm sure that the buyer bid for the hardware first. And with or without the R-Type copy, it's expensive.
But... It's not bad to provide floppies for peoples that want to rediscover their old computer with new games, out of the box.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

As everybody know, our R-Type CPC version was a success.
I would like to remember you that was not possible (in this way) w/o the help of Bob Pape.

Today, it's behind you... So, I encourage everyone to go to this link:

www.bizzley.com

The true story of a great game by a great guy.
I personally love it's content.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

ivarf

Quote from: TotO on 12:05, 13 September 13
As everybody know, our R-Type CPC version was a success.
I would like to remember you that was not possible (in this way) w/o the help of Bob Pape.

Today, it's behind you... So, I encourage everyone to go to this link:
www.bizzley.com

The true story of a great game by a great guy.
I personally love it's content.
I look forward to reading that book. Seems great, just what a retronerd like me need.  ;D

Gryzor

Oh yeah, I have downloaded it and must find some unwitting sod with a laser printer :D

TotO

Gryzor

Yup, great reviews both of them! I really enjoy those kind of reviews, the mini-plays...

Bryce

Great review. Just annoying that he keeps calling Mode 0 "Mode O". Does he call the others "Mode i" and "Mode z" ? :D

Bryce.

TotO

It is common to said "O" instead of "zero" in english. i.e. spelling a phone number. So, that not shock me..
I like this review, because the guy see many details that others don't. :)

Bryce

I also use O when I'm giving a phone number, it just sounds strange when used with Mode.

The review is excellent, and yes, he didn't just look at the gameplay, but noticed quite a lot more (and there's so much to notice in R-Type).

Bryce.

Carnivius

I don't think I've ever said O when I mean zero.  I don't mind others doing it as long as the context of the usage is clear.

Good reviews though. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

CraigsBar

The reason is probably that to non techy people, the 'correct' pronounciation of the number that is one less than one is 'naught' and therefore 'oh' is both quicker and easier to say. Zero is relatively new to common speech in English, having arrived with the tech revolution.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

rs6060

Quote from: Keith A Goodyer on 04:08, 25 February 10
You make one little mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down....

Electric Dreams / Activision gave me 21 days to do the port. I wish i had the time to do a nice mode 0 port with new graphics, but alas it was never to be.

Keith A Goodyer (realy)

Hey I can vouch for this :)   Keith how are you pal? you need to get in touch be nice to catch up

Rich S

TotO

Rich--- S--------?  :o

Thank you for posting here. I hope that Keith will answer to you here to...
Bob Pape explained why "no music" into his great book it's behind you, but can you said us if you done them for Spectrum/CPC, before there was not include?
Please, let we know more about the "music side" of R-type. Relate us your R-Type story!!!  8)

MacDeath

Seems the team is getting completed...  ;D

rs6060

Quote from: Keith A Goodyer on 04:35, 19 April 10
Hi Guys (and Mark) Sorry haven't been back in a while - have had some  somewhat distracting personal issues over the past couple of months -  Mark I'm still up for it. 

OK, I developed R-TYPE using the fantastic PDS system written by Foo   Katan. For those who have never heard of PDS, it was probably the   worlds first IDE - Editor, Cross Assembler, Linker and Debugger all in   one.  It run on the x86 architecture under DOS, and had a hardware   component that allowed you to 'Download' the compiled code directly onto   the target hardware. It eventually supported development for Z80, 6502,   and 68K.  It was probably the mainstay of all Video game programming in   the late 80's.

I was very fortunate to be given Bob Papes EXECELENT source code for the   speccy version. I have never met Bob but have spoken to him on the   phone.  I have the highest regard for him!  Although the code wasn't   that well documented, many of his labels were somewhat self descriptive.

Given the extream time limits i was given to the port this is basic   strategy that I took to do the port...  (I hope i remember all this   correctly)

The spectrum had its ROM in the lower 16K, and the 48K of RAM above  it.  So I configured the Amstrad to locate the MODE 1 screen in the  lower 16K, and loaded the spectrum version in the top 48K (As it would  be located on a spectrum - and ran it).  I then went through the code  line by line, modifying anything that 'plotted' pixels on the screen to  something that would plot the equivalent pixels on on Arnolds screen.

As the spectrum screen is 'Attribute Based' I continued to used all of   Bobs 'Colour' code, and the whole 768 bytes of the spectrum colour   attribute screen is running on the Amstrad version.  When ever there was   a 'Byte' write to the spectrum screen, I would use a look up table to   indexed by the byte and the value of the corresponding spectrum colour   attribute to extract the two bytes required to produce the correct   pixels on the CPC screen. Then all I had to do was port the control   (Sinclair/Kempston) to CPC stuck, and the Sound and the job was done.  A   few days with DJL to add the 'Protection' and the job was done.

Now the sad news...  about 5 years ago, I had a massive leak in my roof,   and all my records (including the source code) was destroyed.  :(

Now some Trivia:  At the time I had a 464, 664 and a 6128 - I took the   final masters down to Activision, and it would not run on their 6128.    It tuned out that at some point in time, Amstrad had made a small   revision to the design that meant that a the interrupt would fire just   before a frame fly back pulse, where on previous versions it would occur   just after. The net effect was that when my code was waiting for the   frame fly back pulse to occur, the interrupt would trigger just before   it, go off do some processing, and by the time it had finished the   processing and returend to the main code loop, had missed the pulse -   and locked up.

Noticing the name of this forum - I only have one thing to say...  We all have to eat!  LOL

As for the industry in the early days... It was fantastic!  The egos, and personalities were out of this world. There were some VERY clever guys, and there were some VERY slimey men in suites that knew how to abuse the geeks.  One of the greatest things to happen in those early days were Richard and David Darling, people dont remember that Codemasters was founded by two school boys.  I do remember a great night out in Lemington Spa with those two, and a missing traffic cone or two.

Keith

I have to say, my fondest memory of working with Keith was when we went for lunch one afternoon in Bridlington and he brought his mobile phone with him. Mobile phones were non existent at that time and he had to carry what appeared to be a briefcase, but was actually a battery. The handset looked like a black brick. Mind you we all wanted to own one :)

MacDeath

Yeah, even when mobile phone were affectuously known as the Bricks... it was a huge (in all senses) improuvement... still make laugh now  ;D

Before the "mobile phone" there were the "Car Phone"... needed a car to carry them.

Crazy 80s, you are missed.
All was invented, yet not practical enough.

Gryzor

So Keith was doing mobile development too? Man, he was ahead of his era... :D

TFM

Haha! No, we had that 1926 already... ;)
Mobiltelefon – Metapedia

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fgbrain

Tried today to boot RType 128kb dual side version, from B drive 3.5"
While it used to run fine before, now it stops loading before the intro. >:(

After that, I wrote the disk again with the latest DSK again on my PC but the same bug happens..

Does it matter that I have XMEM plugged in with 3.15 firmware??
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

TFM

Try another disc  :)

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: fgbrain on 15:17, 15 November 14
Tried today to boot RType 128kb dual side version, from B drive 3.5"
While it used to run fine before, now it stops loading before the intro. >:(

After that, I wrote the disk again with the latest DSK again on my PC but the same bug happens..

Does it matter that I have XMEM plugged in with 3.15 firmware??
The CAT art high score table does not work for R-Type with Firmware 3.15 because it does not play nice when launched from a Mode 2 screen. I have not had any in game issues with it from either my HXC or Physical Media at all on my 4128plus.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

SyX

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:16, 16 November 14
The CAT art high score table does not work for R-Type with Firmware 3.15 because it does not play nice when launched from a Mode 2 screen. I have not had any in game issues with it from either my HXC or Physical Media at all on my 4128plus.
Although "MODE 1:CAT" fixes those problems, but maybe i should add in the next version the option of choosing the initial screen mode, hehehe.