News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

R-Type - Amstrad 128k version - the fullest upload

Started by ZEUSDAZ, 22:33, 20 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Can this game still be purchased on disk with cover, manual and stuff?

ivarf

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:14, 12 November 16
Can this game still be purchased on disk with cover, manual and stuff?

Good question, thank you!  ;D

mr_lou

JayBlood

Jay

Xyphoe

Quote from: ZEUSDAZ on 07:50, 24 October 16

I never intended to do a longplay of this simply because I have many more vids to crack on with and knowing yourself already did it I wasn't in a hurry to do it myself,...but when a sub asks I always put it in the que,...it was actually the "level 0" not being shown which is what geared me up to do it,...so it certainly wasn't done to steal your thunder,...in fact I didn't link the longplay I know about to your channel, still, hey ho ay  :D

Thanks for checking it out.
Yikes! Only just seen this as the topic was just necro'd :) I wasn't referring to you Daz, just the guy ice8629 who left a bit of a rude comment - that probably caught me at a bad moment. Anyone can make videos of whatever they want :)

Colday

Hi gents and gentesses.

I humbly apologise for bumping this hugely old thread, but I have the original R-type on disc (I've only recently got back into the CPC world) but I would LOVE to try the 128kb version mentioned herein.

What is the best method of obtaining it?

(.dsk is fine as my Gotek now works without frying my USB drives, yes I did plug the 12v supply into it)

I will happily take the abuse for resurrecting this thread, but I'm still learning where best to find stuff.

Regards.

Carnivius

CPC-power is a good database of CPC games and you can download most from there (though the captcha thing is a bit annoying)Here's the page for R-Type 128k. Click the floppy disk tab to go to the download screen.
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=7174
CPCgamereviews is also useful for skimming through and seeing short reviews of various CPC games (not a complete list but many well known titles are there) and the game download link is the title text of the game
http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/r/index10.html
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

TotO

For information, I may redo a batch for a box version soon... If I find where I have put the intruction manuals.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

Yes. Nice to finally see a youtube video after 21 days* to do the port on Enterprise!  8)
* may be more this time
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

kawickboy

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: TotO on 08:43, 29 March 19
Yes. Nice to finally see a youtube video after 21 days* to do the port on Enterprise!  8)
* may be more this time
The Enterprise 128 was a more powerful computer than the cpc 6128 right?  ::)
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 10:48, 29 March 19
The Enterprise 128 was a more powerful computer than the cpc 6128 right?  ::)
I will not said that, because the display have more colour limitations (160x200 is 8 colours + 8 you do not chose).It looks faster to display chars on screen but only 50Hz interrupts when the CPC have 300Hz interrups.Some musics don't properly sound with the hard channel and enveloppes.It is really close the the CPC but different, not superior.

TotO

The first time I have read the specs on Internet, I don't know why, but I seen more screen modes on Enterprise and dreamed about 320x200x16 or 160x200x256 colours from a 256 colours palette.  ;D
Probably it can do better on an original game concept dedicated to the Enterprise... Let the future spoke for it!

Geco

Quote from: TotO on 13:39, 29 March 19
I will not said that, because the display have more colour limitations (160x200 is 8 colours + 8 you do not chose).It looks faster to display chars on screen but only 50Hz interrupts when the CPC have 300Hz interrups.Some musics don't properly sound with the hard channel and enveloppes.It is really close the the CPC but different, not superior.
In some aspect Enterprise is more powerful, and in some is not  ;D Disadvantages:

• Yes, EP has colour limitation in colour8-15, it can be set by colour groups (8 colours)
  • Dave does not have HW envelope.
  • screen width can be only 46 characters, on CPC it is 48
  • colours can not be changed within a scan line
Advantages:

• - Screen height can be about 290 lines.

• - If video RAM does not touched, it really runs on 4MHz, if read/write occurs on Video RAM those instructions runs on the same speed like on CPC, if the code is in the Video RAM it is even slower.
  • - 256 Colur palette- Memory paging is more flexible, and port usage is much simpler ( by this MOD player can plays MOD's on 9KHz)
  • - There are several video modes, including of CPC modes too, but additional modes: HW Character modes 2/4/16/256 colour, Attribute mode (8x1 byte attributes), 256 colour mode, and all CPC modes +256 colour mode has Low pixel variant too, all modes, and palette can be changed in each pixel line (without CPU usage), even width if you set up an LPT (line parameter table which defines the screen, and must be located in video memory) which contains separate definition to each line. It is possible to use any height of lines from 1 pixel to 256 pixels. (by this you can create real square pixels in col16 or in col256 mode, and uses less video memory) 

• Treasure Cave uses 4 colour character mode in game

• The Hobbit  uses attribute mode for screen, and 2 colour character mode for text.
  • - Dave have low pass/high pass filters, ring modulation, it is real stereo, have 8 volume registers.- there are more interrupt option: Video interrupt (50Hz), Dave source: 1Hz, 50Hz, 1000Hz, and another possibility to use frequency of sound channel 0 or 1 (250000/(N+1)) (but if sound channel used, we loose one sound channel), and an external source    (sound channel interrupt used in MOD player, SIDBASIC, DTM Player ( plays 4 channel digi music, but it is a bit simpler) Treasure Cave (game)
  • - small advantages from the 80's, originally it is expandable to 4MB, Disk system uses FAT12, file transfer is very easy, it is very flexible, if a disk can not be read on PC, usually it can be read on EP, and fast.
I think that's all, but please complete advantage/disadvantage if i forgot anything :)

TotO

Screen height is 288 lines on CPC.  ;D

Because the Enterprise can do things not possible on CPC (vice versa), I prefert the word "different".
The user was probably happy with both systems depending the own usages.

Geco

Quote from: TotO on 17:44, 01 April 19
Screen height is 288 lines on CPC.  ;D

Because the Enterprise can do things not possible on CPC (vice versa), I prefert the word "different".
The user was probably happy with both systems depending the own usages.
Sure  ;D

keith56

The Enterprise feels like a CPC from a parallel dimension!

I like the improved color palette, and ability to color switch midscreen without interrupts... but I miss the CPC+ sprites

I'm not one to really use the CRTC for clever scrolling or splitscreen, so for me the EP128 and CPC are pretty technically even...

But what really surprised me was I had never heard of the EP128 until a year or two ago, and I think that's a real shame!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!