News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A Cybernoid Discussion (was: Re: CYBER CHICKEN REVIEW)

Started by MacDeath, 23:42, 09 February 14

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

What ? Cybernoid gets only "6" ?
What were you smoking ???

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:42, 09 February 14
What ? Cybernoid gets only "6" ?
What were you smoking ???

That's what I noticed, too. It's not even that hard! But each to his own, I guess!

Puresox

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:12, 10 February 14

That's what I noticed, too. It's not even that hard! But each to his own, I guess!
It's a shame that the Cybernoid engine if there is one as such ,cannot be hacked to make some more cool levels , I think that game was fantastic , and it has so much potential left in it.
Sorry off topic

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Puresox on 01:32, 11 February 14
It's a shame that the Cybernoid engine if there is one as such ,cannot be hacked to make some more cool levels , I think that game was fantastic , and it has so much potential left in it.
Sorry off topic

I'm sure that it is possible to hack the graphics and level layouts with some investigation and work. I just don't know if there are level/room specific code paths (e.g., bosses, exit detection,...).  Or if the level data is compressed. Rooms are 16x10 blocks, presumably 160 bytes each. Level 1 has 15 rooms, Level 2 has 24 rooms and Level 3 has 32 rooms - a total of 71 rooms, or 11360 bytes, a lot of which will be the same.

Nich

Quote from: Puresox on 01:32, 11 February 14
Sorry off topic
It is possible; a listing by Niall Brady was published in the May 1989 issue of Amstrad Computer User which redesigned the first level. I've never tried the listing myself but it would be interesting to see what the new level looks like.

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:12, 10 February 14

Well, after reading this, I decided to play Cybernoid again - and by some fluke, I actually managed to reach the second level! :D However, I still stand by my belief that the game is too hard (although perhaps not "far too hard").

So maybe I will consider raising the rating to 7 out of 10... ;)

Puresox

There was  a listing on this? Wow I bet that is pretty hefty.
The game is tough but , it is challenging in a way that you can learn to negotiate , by learning what weapons are needed at what time, Preparation and a steady approach , I think that applies to all Cecco's game s , I don't think cybernoid is as tough as Storm lord , which are overly tough.IMHO

Sykobee (Briggsy)

It would be good to see a map of Bradynoid if anyone's done this hack?

MacDeath

WTF, each time I post somewhere the thread becomes splitted into another topic... are you serious ? >:(

And yep, Cybernoid is more a 7 or 8 than a 6...

Shaun M. Neary

Blegh, great design but was made far too difficult. Cecco was a bloody masochist!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

MacDeath

Those games are perfect with unlimited lives...

Puresox

No Die,No Fun, No Challenge. Could and can never see the appeal of cheats , unless it was to get to see another part of the game

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:52, 12 February 14
Those games are perfect with unlimited lives...

And that, my friend... is the reason there's no fun in video games today. Games are too easily finished because we can just save the game at any point, or there's endless lives/credits.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

MacDeath

I used to spend half an hour on certain screens at rickdangerous, despite infinite live, to finish the game could take one hour... and if I restarted the computer, I had to restart from the begining...

Same with R-Type...

Despite infinite lives, you have to restart some of those games at some points if you failed and could simply abandon anyway if you failed too much... was so fun.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:35, 13 February 14
I used to spend half an hour on certain screens at rickdangerous, despite infinite live, to finish the game could take one hour... and if I restarted the computer, I had to restart from the begining...

Same with R-Type...

Despite infinite lives, you have to restart some of those games at some points if you failed and could simply abandon anyway if you failed too much... was so fun.

Yes, but you didn't get the satisfaction you got when you did it without help.
That said, i've been known to use the occasional cheat to aid me in figuring out a certain portion that had me stuck... then i'd go back and do it over again. :D

MacDeath

For this, I used easier games like Robocop or Gryzor, which I could finish by myself... ;D

TFM

Well, I consider myself a real bad gamer... but Cybernoid (as Northstar) was a lot of fun. And I made it quite far without any poke.

Not everybody plays well in the same games. For some it's easy, for some it's hard.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Cybernoid is definitely not impossible to finish, just like Rick Dangerous. It just requires pinpoint accuracy and patience - the vast majority of deaths is due to the player trying to make a shortcut. Bloody good game!

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

fano

This one is better

And this one too :

What ? a troll , where ?
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

fano

We, Frenches, love Greek tragedy but tragedy is our speciality  :laugh:  (french scene  #1 in drama !)

Gryzor

Heheh :D In this case I think we're talking about tragicomedy...

Devilmarkus

It's absolutely understandable, that your R-Type remake "only" has 0 points:

;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

fano

I love 0,zero,null,void , this is the utimate place , exactly in the center of infinity, that may be nothing but that gives signification to everything  ;)