News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

remake of OutRun CPC

Started by barbarian.1987, 23:11, 09 December 13

Previous topic - Next topic

barbarian.1987

hello
it's me again with a new remake in basic.  8)
after Barbarian and Crazy Cars, i will remake the CPC release of OutRun, on of my favorite arcade game.

why the CPC release ? because it were the worst release of this fantastic game. and the CPC were able to have better !
i hope i will finish it, there is many work to do !
here is the link of the beta :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d803ueu0l4cgk6k/outrunBETA.zip
controls: arrows keys, shift (gearbox) and space for fullscreen
i hope you will enjoy with my new remake in progress
some screenshots :

in some months, i will do a new beta
see ya !
F.L

Gryzor

Oooh nice!

Things to look for:

-scanlines in full screen
-2x and 3x window, maybe with scanlines
-sound fx
-dirt being thrown when the car steers

Thanks for the game! :)
T

Puresox

Cool a reboot of Out run for the CPC, hope you give it the treatment that should have been done originally. It is not as though ,Car games were a weakness of the Amstrad.
WEC LeMans
Chase HQ
Continental Circus
Burning Rubber.
Etc Etc...

Cheers!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Puresox on 21:59, 10 December 13
Cool a reboot of Out run for the CPC, hope you give it the treatment that should have been done originally. It is not as though ,Car games were a weakness of the Amstrad.
WEC LeMans
Chase HQ
Continental Circus
Burning Rubber.
Etc Etc...

Cheers!
no, it's a remake of the cpc version, meaning a pc version based on the cpc version, but done so that it runs like the cpc should have.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Puresox

Oh , well I don't know what to expect with that then , good luck anyhow.

barbarian.1987

hello
thanks all
i have updated the zip :
- the car slows and jumps out of road
- the car can have crashes with trees
- i have optimized the gearbox like in the original game
see ya
F.L

barbarian.1987

hello all
here is my new release of OutrunCPC :

remake outrun CPC
i have make several changes in the gameplay and all the 5 stage of road A are finished.
the curves are the same than the arcade game
there is still work, but qb64 helps me a lot !
i hope you will enjoy
bye
F.L

sigh

Looks smooth.

Can this version run an actual CPC or is it PC only?
Is it a PC game with amstrad graphics?

barbarian.1987

thanks
this game can run only on PC. the source is in the zip. with it, you can compile the game for Mac or Linux,but not on CPC, sorry

bye

Puresox

This style of remake makes me wonder where does it fit in the grand scheme of things, what part is Amstrad what part is what ?

Gryzor

I love this!!!! I only wish it had options other than tiny window/full screen. 2x, 3x, stuff like that, always with scanlines!

BSC

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 09:11, 04 February 14
hello all
here is my new release of OutrunCPC :

remake outrun CPC

Holy Mahoney! This is not running on a CPC, right? What is it? It looks terrific.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

barbarian.1987

hello
when i bought the game in 1988, i was so sad....
i try to do this remake how the CPC Version should have been
my knowledge in coding is not high enough to coding on CPC
if someone want to port it on the real hardware, it would be nice
in some weeks, i will do the E road
see ya
F.L

TFM

Oh well, we all do what we can. Nice to see that you continue it.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 01:25, 05 February 14
this game can run only on PC. the source is in the zip. with it, you can compile the game for Mac or Linux,but not on CPC, sorry

I really like this.  What language did you program it in?

And does the graphics and sound stay within the CPC dimensions (e.g. pixel size, resolution, AY generated tune)...?

It should be possible on a real CPC as previously stated (take a look at Burnin' Rubber for instance) but probably not at the frame rate you have on the remake.

Gryzor

The credits say what part is taken from what version...

Misel982001

fantastic game mate!!!!!

Orri

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 01:25, 05 February 14
thanks

bye

Would this game be DOS friendly if QBASIC was used?

barbarian.1987

hello
thanks all for your messages  ;)

Orri, sorry for this very late response : no, this game will not work on QB45.if you want to convert a game to qb45, in 2012 i have done another game who could easily be converted to qb45 (only on a real hardware,not on dosbox) :Barbarian CPC remake. if you are interested, i can help you to convert it.

so, let's come back to Outrun CPC :
after a long period without coding, i'm back to my remake of Outrun CPC  :D
i have started this game in 2012. already 2 years !
i prefer to code this game some little weeks in a year and keep fun,
because this game is too enormous for me, so i don't want to risk a disgust

for this new update, i have added the traffic and the colision with them.
now the A road is finished at 100%
the next work will be to do the E road.
some pics :

and  a new video of the beta version on youtube :

remake Outrun CPC wip 2 - YouTube

i hope that you will try it.
see ya for a next update
F.L

Neil79

Wow looks awesome, imagine running that on a real CPC at that speed

The dogs balls indeed  8) :o
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

ivarf

Really nice. I am tempted to post the video on the Retrogamer forum and say its a new Amstrad CPC game in the making - a game to show what the CPC-version could have been had they bothered. :D

TFM

You know that it's a PC game, do you?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Orri

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 21:28, 30 July 14

Orri, sorry for this very late response : no, this game will not work on QB45.if you want to convert a game to qb45, in 2012 i have done another game who could easily be converted to qb45 (only on a real hardware,not on dosbox) :Barbarian CPC remake. if you are interested, i can help you to convert it.

Ok, so you're saying that OutRun CPC relies on the Hardware a lot in order to work in Windows.

What I had in mind was to get one of these remakes onto my 386 Laptop, it's only running at 16Mhz, Greyscale VGA (I can plug a colour monitor into it), but no Sound Card. I was able to run CHUB GAM3D on it though, so the other game (Barbarian) could work??

Unfortunately my QB4.5 knowledge is very limited and I'm working on numerous things at the moment which seem ongoing. :(

barbarian.1987

Quote from: Orri on 02:51, 02 August 14
What I had in mind was to get one of these remakes onto my 386 Laptop, it's only running at 16Mhz, Greyscale VGA (I can plug a colour monitor into it), but no Sound Card. I was able to run CHUB GAM3D on it though, so the other game (Barbarian) could work??
all my remakes are working on my old laptop pentiumIII with 128 Mo Ram...
i don't know if they are working on a 386 at 16 Mhz ...it's been a while i have not seen an old laptop like this  :o
try them and say me if it works.
bye

ivarf

Quote from: TFM on 21:13, 01 August 14
You know that it's a PC game, do you?

I know that it is a PC game. I was just thinking about making a bit of noise over at RetroGamer :)