News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Rick Dangerous 128+!!!!

Started by Gryzor, 07:59, 12 November 09

Previous topic - Next topic

fano

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 14:24, 26 December 09
Funny: The cheat options in config menu... Are they wanted?!?
More, they are needed , we are getting too old to play games with this demential difficulty  ;D
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Devilmarkus

Quote from: fano on 19:33, 26 December 09
More, they are needed , we are getting too old to play games with this demential difficulty  ;D

-we + you  :P
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

voXfReaX

Hello there!

I have tried Rick+ the previous days... Just wanna say a huge Congratulations to all people involved (even though i know that one of them was Iron :))!

Best thing according to me: The expanded levels :)

Thank you so much people for all that joy during this Christmas!

we speak,
voxfreax

TFM

Real cool game for the CPC Plus! You all did a great job! Thanks for the X-mas present!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fano

Great ! i am happy you like it , i'll post a little fix for B drive and keyboard layout (for lefty players)

Cholo

Damn, I forgot how hard this game is  ;D

Oh, and congratulations on making a great version too. Really gotten a boost there  8)

redbox

Wow.

I waited to play it on my real 6128+ and I'm glad I did.  :)

My C64 obsessed friend even said "those graphics are good"...!

I'd forgotten how hard it is too though. <joke>The collision detection must be dodgy or something.</joke>

The only annoyance is having to get off the sofa to press F1 to play again instead of pressing the A/B button on my plus paddle.  ::)

Gryzor

Perfect game for a sloooooooooow (I'm the only one in my department here) day at the office!!! Yay!

As far as difficulty goes: you pussies!

Ok, I couldn't finish it all in one go, but each level by itself, most certainly so, as with the original. Memorize, memorize, memorize!

@redbox: so you're playing it on the tv? Sucks :D

Once again: fantastic remake... thanks so much, sigh!

redbox

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:53, 04 January 10
@redbox: so you're playing it on the tv? Sucks :D

Nooooooooooooooooo!

I used my Plus monitor of course. It sits on the coffee table in the middle of the room so the paddle lead is still long enough to reach the sofa.

I waited to play it on the real 6128+ so I wouldn't ruin it using a LCD TV  :D

I need to get a life...

MacDeath

QuoteMy C64 obsessed friend even said "those graphics are good"...!
Pro tip : the graphics were allready good and could have been better if only less sprites ported from C64...

Yet having a decent amount of greys on PLUS enhances this greatly.

Now I hope we'll manage to get a R-type to shut thoses speccyst mouth and open their eyes.

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 06:47, 05 January 10

Now I hope we'll manage to get a R-type to shut thoses speccyst mouth and open their eyes.

Yes, yes, YES! OOOOOH MAN THERE IS A GOD....

fano

lol Gryzor let me finish to understand the game code before  ::)

Does someone know a bit Spectrum hardware here ?

Quote from: redbox on 01:30, 04 January 10The only annoyance is having to get off the sofa to press F1 to play again instead of pressing the A/B button on my plus paddle.  ::)
I'll add this ;)

ukmarkh

R-Type? If we could have an exact copy of the Speccy port that'd make my day, anything more would give me a heart attack.

MacDeath

QuoteR-Type? If we could have an exact copy of the Speccy port that'd make my day, anything more would give me a heart attack.
???
We already have a speccy port.

Did you meant : something as good as the real speccy version", well...

Basically it will remains the same game (just like rick dangerous128+ was the same game in fact...)

We just wish to improove slightly the graphics (= displaying more than 2 colours per characters, and displaying more than 2 colours for the level tiles too.

Also I hope that with no starfield it may be faster too.

Let's just say our goal is to get a version not worst than it is. ;)

ukmarkh

Yep... the Speccy port is perfect for an 8-bit, speed is good, scrolling is great and colours are used to good effect. The Amstrad version is ok, but hardly pushing the hardware as seen in the Speccy version. Yes, the Amstrad may be a port of the Speccy game, but thats where it ends as the Speccy version is miles better. 

Cholo

This video shows some of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEfqhc-gq0

Speccy version is actually a lot faster and more colourfull than the amstrad version (kinda odd for a spec port). Then again the c64 version dosnt really look like the arcade version at all.

fano

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:09, 07 January 10
R-Type? If we could have an exact copy of the Speccy port that'd make my day, anything more would give me a heart attack.
Call your doctor  ;D
Except i think we'll not get the speed as Spectrum version.

Sadly R-Type is an awfull straight speccy port  :'(

The original speccy code seems untouched and instead of having a spectrum hardware , we have some code to emulate this hardware.This is not an image , speccy hardware behaviour is really emulated  :o
For example , when rendering an objet , the 1bit graphics are previously copied into pixel buffer (like spectrum) but CPC have to convert it to 2bits and to copy to screen buffer (that speccy hardware does)

This is a miracle it is not slower  :(
Counter part , it shows the power of the CPC as it emulates Speccy to run this game  :P

Actualy the bottleneck is the scrolling code.It is clever and will be very difficult to replace for 4 colors :-\

You can fin more details about the game code here : http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Talk:R-Type

Xyphoe

Hi! VERY well done and thank you to the team behind RD128!!! Marvellous work  ;D ;D ;D

I've put up a YouTube video of it today -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lME6q6pV7Xs

fano

Great video that shows very well our work , thank a lot !
I am going to try to add it on the wiki  ;D

Gryzor

Lovely video indeed! Would be even better if you ran the two versions side by side for comparison - maybe keep it in mind for future projects? :)

Xyphoe

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:19, 09 January 10
Lovely video indeed! Would be even better if you ran the two versions side by side for comparison - maybe keep it in mind for future projects? :)

Thank you :) Well I did put the original Rick Dangerous at the end of the video, but I don't have the software to put videos side-by-side as I'm only using Windows Movie Maker :(

However I believe Axelino is going to do a full long play video to the end for this game :)

MacDeath

Thx.

Axelino did a 4 part longplay too.

@Xyphoes :
Yet your video is of a somewhat better quality : you have no sound delay, better colours and so on.

But to be honnest, you play very bad ! ;D

I put all those on the Wikipage.

Thx to all of you, it was a pleasure to troll you on Youtube too.

QuoteWould be even better if you ran the two versions side by side for comparison
Have you heard of multitasking on window ? just open 2 video wibndows and put aside of each other...lol.

Xyphoe

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:23, 09 January 10
Thx.

Axelino did a 4 part longplay too.

@Xyphoes :
Yet your video is of a somewhat better quality : you have no sound delay, better colours and so on.

But to be honnest, you play very bad ! ;D

I put all those on the Wikipage.

Thx to all of you, it was a pleasure to troll you on Youtube too.
Have you heard of multitasking on window ? just open 2 video wibndows and put aside of each other...lol.

Hehe yea - I've never really played RD1 much, I'm not so bad with RD2 though but it's not the game here! Well done Axelino!

Sound delay ... this seems to be still a problem with WinApe, it's been talked about before and the latest release (which was 2008) improved on this, however it still happens nearly every time for me. What I have to do to fix this is make a copy of the audio channel and paste this as a music overlay in WMM, then move it slightly to match up each time from where it goes wrong. However sometimes it results in 'pops' and 'clicks' when it starts  :o

Sound quality ... another bug in WinApe is that the audio it records as part of the AVI file is FAR too loud, if you analyse the waveform its completely peaking all the way through(!!) hence the clipping and distortion you might hear if untreated. Easy enough to fix, just reduce the volume of the audio channel in WMM before making the movie file!

Hopefully Richard can reduce these problems in the next WinApe release :)

fano

V1.1 is out.It fixes B drive problem , add lefty keyboard layout  (arrows + copy) and quickstart with paddle.

http://cpcwiki.eu/imgs/4/4f/Rick1_1.DSK

redbox