Author Topic: Scrolling in Turrican saga  (Read 623 times)

Offline jason9

• CPC464
  • Liked: 5
Scrolling in Turrican saga
« on: 21:38, 14 November 17 »
Can someone please clarify me what kind of scrolling technique is used on the Turrican saga on CPC (1 & 2)? “Hardware” scrolling? And can it be considered the best technique for the CPC in terms of scrolling? Thanks.

Offline Sykobee (Briggsy)

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 203
Re: Scrolling in Turrican saga
« Reply #1 on: 12:05, 15 November 17 »
Given the small screen size and low frame rate, I suspect it's a double buffered software scrolling, rather than doing anything in hardware.

However it is possible it's using the character-sized hard scroll, I'd have to check it out again.

Regardless, the small screen size makes the game very difficult, especially as the character gets close to the edge as its scrolling.

It's one game I'd love to see a Plus hack, that used the Plus's hardware scrolling and hardware sprites and thus allowed a larger play area (although I guess the entire rendering engine would need rewriting). Also having 512KB of ROM would allow for even more varied graphics.

Offline arnoldemu

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
  • Liked: 2020
« Reply #2 on: 15:40, 15 November 17 »
Turrican 1 is double buffered, hardware scroll, char by char.
The screen uses rupture to split the top and the panel.

Turrican II is double buffered software scroll.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 868
« Reply #3 on: 18:24, 15 November 17 »
It's one game I'd love to see a Plus hack, that used the Plus's hardware scrolling and hardware sprites and thus allowed a larger play area (although I guess the entire rendering engine would need rewriting). Also having 512KB of ROM would allow for even more varied graphics.

If you're gonna do that you may as well just play the Amiga version and that way have the excellent soundtrack too.  Seems like a waste of time and effort. I enjoy the CPC Turrican games as they are.  Not as good as the Amiga versions but very enjoyable in their own unique chunky ways.
Favorite CPC games: SwitchBlade, Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan, Turrican II, UN Squadron, Oh Mummy

Offline jason9

• CPC464
« Reply #4 on: 22:32, 15 November 17 »
Thanks! I would never say they had different scrolling techniques, to me they look quite identical in the scrolling.
Are those two types the best available for the Amstrad CPC capacity? Or eventually can you name me some games particular excellent in the scrolling coding? I would like to make a selection and play them all. For example I know Edge Grinder has a great scrolling technique, but still never played it…

Offline Nich

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC Game Reviews webmaster
    • CPC Game Reviews
  • Liked: 333
« Reply #5 on: 23:22, 15 November 17 »
Are those two types the best available for the Amstrad CPC capacity? Or eventually can you name me some games particular excellent in the scrolling coding? I would like to make a selection and play them all.

Titan amazed me back in the day with its fast hardware scrolling.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #6 on: 23:26, 15 November 17 »
There are few new games with scroll ranging from ok to excellent. Edge Grinder or Relentless are good examples of excellent scrolling, both shooters.

Linaje real is another recent game with scroll, and is not a shooter.

On classic games, Deliverance has good scrolling, although is not the usual example.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail and Magica for the CPC.

Offline ervin

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 714
« Reply #7 on: 05:19, 16 November 17 »
Titan amazed me back in the day with its fast hardware scrolling.

TLL seems to use a similar technique.
It's ridiculously fast when it hits top speed.

Prohibition also scrolls very well.
« Last Edit: 05:22, 16 November 17 by ervin »
My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2017 Competition http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/my-cpcretrodev-2017-entry/
FAST line drawing in CPCtelera http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/drawing-lines-with-cpctelera-sdcc/
RUNCPC My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2015 Competition http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66566

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay
  • Liked: 207
« Reply #8 on: 05:49, 16 November 17 »
There are few new games with scroll ranging from ok to excellent. Edge Grinder or Relentless are good examples of excellent scrolling, both shooters.

Linaje real is another recent game with scroll, and is not a shooter.

On classic games, Deliverance has good scrolling, although is not the usual example.

Try BraveStarr, Boulderdash and Beyond the Ice Palace for smooth scrolling.

Offline jason9

• CPC464
« Reply #9 on: 09:08, 16 November 17 »
Yes I knew Bravestar and played it back in the old days, thanks for the other suggestions…wow Titan it’s a surprise, I watched a gameplay in youtube and it’s incredibly fast… How did they achieved it?[size=78%] [/size]