News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

speedball..... cpc......

Started by cpc4eva, 00:06, 27 June 10

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

ive always wondered how a game not on the cpc but on other formats would have turned out on a cpc.  yes id like to see many games on cpc that werent im not going to list them all as i only have one cpc wish before i die.........

can anybody please please please please please please please please convert speedball 1 or 2 or both to cpc

:0)   :0)   :0)

Leonie

Nice idea!  :D
The Amstrad´s colour palette would do a good job in a CPC-Version of Speedball.

MacDeath

Technically, speedbal is not much more difficult than a vertical football game.

something like Microprose Soccer per example.

If I remember well, many of such football games were in Mode1...with quite poor graphics too.
Mostly speccy ported then, because somewhat english games often...

Just get a look at CPCpower, they even have a complete category as Football games.

=Adidas Championship Football by OCEAN : look quite good, but is it good actually ?

=Australian Rules Football : perhaps close to a BloodBowl or Speedball. But disapointing Mode1.

==Buitre - Emilio Butragueno Futbol : Mode0 and vertical, viva España.

=Fighting Soccer : Mode1 too...grrrr.

=Gary Lineker's Hot-Shot ! : mode1.

=Indoor Soccer : bad graphics too.

=Italy 1990 : mode 1, and a pseudo 3D/isometric view.

=Microprose Soccer : monochrome speccy port, Remember it played well, but...monochrome... :'(

And so on.

concerning bloody futuristic sports...

SkateBall
(skatewars in else then France....)

Was an atari ST port...explaining the Mode1 320x200...well used actually.

and Killerball (rollerball adaptation) ...

Also a 16 bit port graphically (wellcome in France), but in Mode0.

french games if I remember well.

Back to topic.

Speed ball is perhaps quite easy to port graphically :just use Atari ST graphics in Mode0...or even Mode1 but hey, can do better with more colours...

The main problem : Speedballs are fast vertical vertical games.

And Horizontal Scrollings may be easier...but hey, let's assume it can be done.

IMO, we should use a equivalent resolution or 256x256 (vertical full screen with the 256 large screen, better).

Lets say 256 (128x256 in mode0 then).

Perhaps getting a smaller mode0 128 x 240 may be enough and great.

Sprites would then need to be a bit reduced as Atari ones are for a 320x200 screen.

Also, Speedball 1 has only vertical scrolling, while Speedball 2 has a multidirectionnal scrolling actually, and a bit of isométric too, and more players on the ground...more sprites then.

If a speedball 1 may be achieved in 64K Ram, I don't think a real Speedball 2 can with less then 128K.

the player management and characteristics/stats are a bit more complicated.

8 stats and 12 players with different stats profiles... (going to 250...)

Yet it was 320x200 on PC and Atari, perhaps even on Amiga...graphics are easy to rip.

I had Speedball 2 on PC...but can't remember if a CGA version was possible ?
I already had a VGA at the time.

But Speedball 1 exists on PC, with CGA and EGA support...

What is great with CGA PC : you can actually port directly into Mode1 Amstrad CPC...yet it is not guaranteed that you may animate the stuff as well...
PC (Dos + CGA or EGA) games where on 16bit softwared computers (no hard scrolls or sprites), in 8-12 MHz...with 512K RAM mostly...

CGA speedball1...Not that bad actually.

Speedball 1 seems to have fewer charateristics.
Stamina-Power-Skill...

Oh, Speedball 2 also got a Gameboy version...4 colours then..
Else, the c64 version is quite ugly.

SB1 on C64 : not bad, clearly in a Mode0 like resolution...yet the Hardwired sprites are 3 colours only...

SB2 on c64 :

Ouch... but Mode0 wide pixels graphics...

We must remember that C64 was a ...64k machine...explaining the lack of good graphics.

This C64 pic was obviously reduced to save place...

(also a shame to loose against Revolver, the shittiest team of the game, lol)

As C64 was quite slow to load datas...but all the Hardware supoport made codes using far less instructions too.

So a 6128 version (or even a 6128+ version) may simplky be fine concerning the great pictures...

Also the NES version of SB1 :

Klashball was its name on this console.

Gryzor

SBII was one of my favorite games (I should pick it up again! Probably fit an ST emulator into my arcade cabinet and go from there...), but it's quite complex for anyone to remake nowadays...